What's a good Klipshe match with a 10 Watt mono amp?

scottyg1

I would imagine you will have two of those mono amps in a stereo configuration -- or are you doing true mono with one speaker?

Any of the Heritage speakers would be good candidates for your setup: Cornwalls, LaScalas, or Klipschorns, and yes -- even the diminutive Heresy as long as you don't require high SPL's or have a small or medium sized room.

Of course Chorus', Fortes, and Quartets would work well too.

If you like two-ways then Reference is the way to go -- some RB-75's (monitors) or RF-7's (floorstanders).

Set your budget and take your pick.

MSG - I admire Dean's restraint regarding the Heritage speakers. Unusual to see a post from him about those that does not include the phrase "drill a hole in your skull" or something about ears bleeding. (LOL). (Just teasing, Dean.)

FWIW, the Chorus have 101db sensitivity versus the Heresy 96db sensitivity. That will give you some extra lift with low powered tube equipment.

DD

----------------

On 8/4/2003 6:54:26 PM dougdrake wrote:

MSG - I admire Dean's restraint regarding the Heritage speakers. Unusual to see a post from him about those that does not include the phrase "drill a hole in your skull" or something about ears bleeding. (LOL). (Just teasing, Dean.)

FWIW, the Chorus have 101db sensitivity versus the Heresy 96db sensitivity. That will give you some extra lift with low powered tube equipment.

DD

----------------

Good to know, thanks.

What's a good price for each on the used market?

I'm a big fan of Forte II and Quartets, owning a pair of both. Some of the magic is the Tratrix midrange. The Chorus II is the big brother to these and by all reviews an excellent speaker.

Now, I'm not saying anything bad about the Heresy. However, the bass is just not there by the standards of the above. One Klipsch engineer said the original Forte is like a Heresy with a sub. The Chorus was developed as a replacement for the highly respected Cornwall.

The Chorus and Forte have a normal exponential mid. The II versions substitued the wonderful Tratrix. The Quartet (I), the only model, came with the Tratrix always, a bit of a latecomer.

I assume your amps have a 4 ohm tap. I suggest you start with that.

Gil

Michael,

Of the 2 speakers you mention, I'd suggest the Chorus IIs as the Heresys don't offer a lot of bass for rock and heavy orchestra. On the other hand, if you listen to jazz, vocals and chamber music mostly, the Heresys may suit you quite nicely and they image really well. Of course, if you can get them and have the space, Klipschorns would be an ideal match for your equipment followed by the Cornwalls. Just my opinion and you did ask for it afterall 10.gif. Have fun, Bryan

Personally, I think you will be able to find a single Cornwall or LaScala for sale cheap either locally or on eBay, their large size makes them relatively cheap when sold alone. As for the bass response, it compares to many new cone bookshelf speakers in the same price range, so dont let that be a deterrent. With 10 watts, any of the big old horns will SHOUT. 2.gif

----------------

On 8/4/2003 8:03:45 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I assume your amps have a 4 ohm tap. I suggest you start with that.

Gil

----------------

Gil: I have Quartets as well. Are they 4 ohm speakers? I have mine connected into the 8 ohm inputs of my Jolida. Should these be connected to the 4 ohm input? BTW, there is a pair of Quartets on eBay right now, for about the next 7 hours or so, which are presently at $226. I asume they will go higher, but could be a good buy.