RF7s in small room

whit0421

Hi all,

I'm thinking about picking up the complete reference-7 line (two front, one center, two surround). However, my current room is rather small -- only 12'x12'. Now I want to keep the speakers for a LONG time (15-20 years at least), so I want to buy the best I can right now instead of buying cheaper/smaller ones now and needing to upgrade later. However, I'm worried that these speakers will overpower the room. From a looks perspective, I don't really care (it'll be dark during movies anyway). I'm more worried about whether there will be "too much" soun d in the room with these powerful speakers, as we're planning on moving in 3-4 years, and then I should have a much larger room for my HT.

Any thoughts as to whether this setup would be ok? Or should I go with smaller, less powerful speakers in the room? Thanks all!

Chris

----------------

On 8/8/2003 5:07:51 PM whit0421 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm thinking about picking up the complete reference-7 line (two front, one center, two surround). However, my current room is rather small -- only 12'x12'. Now I want to keep the speakers for a LONG time (15-20 years at least), so I want to buy the best I can right now instead of buying cheaper/smaller ones now and needing to upgrade later. However, I'm worried that these speakers will overpower the room. From a looks perspective, I don't really care (it'll be dark during movies anyway). I'm more worried about whether there will be "too much" soun d in the room with these powerful speakers, as we're planning on moving in 3-4 years, and then I should have a much larger room for my HT.

Chris

----------------

I got all that junk that is listed in my sig-block crammed into a 14'x14' room. As far as "to much sound", just turn the volume down a little. I say - go for it! Especially since you are indicating that you will be moving in 3-4 years.

As I said before, just don't turn them up too loud - as efficient these speakers are, they will produce just nicely at lower volumes - you don't need to crank them up real loud.

As is often said here - Overkill? What is overkill?

Since you want to keep your speakers a very long time, go with the 7s. You will be happy that you did. You will not absolutely require a subwoofer with the 7s, but a sub is an excellent addition. No sub will save space till you have the extra room. Just make sure that your amp has the needed power to handle low frequencies.

The wood finish on the 7s gives them a better WAF/GAF.

I have Forte II in a room which is about 15 by 18. The room is a bit bigger than yours but not by much and the speakers are about the same size.

They are located quite close to my position and certainly do work well.

I also worry about misplaced economy. Buying a quality unit the first time is often the least expensive way of doing things. It is the stingy man who spends the most.

Gil

yeah, I have a couple of RF7s in a room thats 12 x 14. They are certainly and extremely overpowering. It sounds great for about 20 minutes at a loud volume, but its not containable. They require a large room. We will be moving in around 40 days from now, so its not a concern for me. I love the sound they provide, but if you arent planning on moving for a while, I dont think you need those huge things now. in fact, get some RF-3 IIs now, and then later use them as your surrounds instead of the RS7s. Just my .02

----------------

On 8/8/2003 7:46:52 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Buying a quality unit the first time is often the least expensive way of doing things. It is the stingy man who spends the most.

Gil

----------------

I'm 100% with Gil on this one...

Although i have larger speakers all around, my room is only about 12x16 (open to a small hall 8x8) and i have never found them overpowering. Obviously i'm able the get some serious SPL and have never had my amp clip... but it's very pleasing even when the volume isn't cranked up. 1.gif

The only component i have that i push close to it's limit is my little sub... but not for long as I'm adding a serious sub shortly.

Rob

AS a person that bought the RF3II because I didn't want to spend the $$$$$ on the RF7s may I recommend DO NOT HOLD BACK.

I happend to luck out. I bought my RF3 from an unauthorized dealer and then when Tweeter was closing them out I snagged a pair of RF7s cheap and sold off the RF3s to Legend9. I pretty much broke even but if I had to pay nearly the $2000 MSRP I would have lost a few hundred.

Buy the RF7s because you will only sit there and wonder what the sound like and how much bettter it would be with the 7s in the room.

Well I have four RF7's in a 10*14 room with six subwoofers,plus another "mini" system up in the upper sction with four subs.And its A ok

And I will get more gear,as long as it fits I add more...and more.

Imagine the largest RF speakers front and back,RC7 center,RF5's as side sourrounds! All powered by dual ATI amps(2505 and 1505)plus SIX subwoofers backing it all up,in a 10*14 room with a six foot high celling! 9.gif Too much? I think not,more on the way.

Get RF7's and do not look back

nothing to worry about. mine are in a room that is 12x20 and although it doesn't take much power to get them to go loud they sound just as good at moderate levels (relative to the room size) like you i plan on keeping my 7's for a very long time so go ahead and get them and enjoy.

don

Thanks for the positive responses everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead with the RF7s, once I finish my basement (not sure when that'll be, but I'm hoping to be done this year).

Appreciate the help, and if anyone else has any comments to throw in, I'd love to hear it!

CW