Placing DVD player on top of receiver

Action925

Okay guys, here's the setup, followed with questions:

I'm planning on getting a Denon 2803 or 3803 receiver which, according to the manuals are 6.75 inches tall (including protruding parts). I own a Sony KV-32HS510 TV with the matching stand. The stand has a one-level shelf (with an optional way to get 2 levels in the shelf). If I were to install the optional 2nd level shelf, the clearance will only be 6 inches for both the 1st and 2nd level. Thus, installing the 2nd level shelf would not allow me to store the receiver on any of the levels.

Thus, I must place my DVD player (which I haven't purchased yet, but it will be the Denon DVM-2815) on top of the receiver without installing the 2nd level shelf. This player is 4.125 inches tall (including protruding parts). I know that the receiver will be expelling a lot of heat, so first question is: How much clearance above the receiver do I need to ensure adequate cooling?

I've found that there are Cool Plates out there but it seems awfully expensive just to elevate the level of the DVD player on top of the receiver. From what I heard, the minimum clearance should be around an inch.

One thing a friend suggested to me is that I can place the receiver on TOP of the DVD player since the player will not get too hot at all. Of course, this setup looks a bit funny, but if it works, then this may be a viable option.

I'm sure I'm not the only person to come across this problem. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 1.gif

Placing anything on top of the receiver is a NO-NO. Receivers generate a lot of heat, and the recommended clearance above them is atleast 3-4 inches. A receiver may feel just warm to the touch, but the DVD player that you place on top will get very hot -- not immediately, but gradually over time from power on. Heat will accumulate and build up, the bottom of the DVD player is metal. Think about it - you can boil an egg with a candle, not very fast, but the water WILL reach boiling temperature.

Unless you can modify the shelving in your custom TV stand to allow the receiver to be on top, use it for the DVD player only (and/or CDs, DVDs).

I am speaking out of my own experience, I have done this in the past - I have once stacked the DVD player on top of the receiver. The DVD player got soooo hot, almost burning hot. It started skipping chapters, and displaying the image in little squares.

You can do it using a seperate cooling fan to vent the system. As long as you can keep air moving above the receiver & below the DVD player, you will be ok. Even setting a small fan behind the receiver works.

Do a search for cooling fan, as it has been discussed here many times.

I think that Gary pretty much hit the nail on the head. I used to always have my receiver sitting (directly) on top of my cd player. And currently, if I needed to, I could place my receiver atop of my DVD player, since the dimensions of the two components width-wise are nearly exactly the same, thus the weight of the receiver would be supported by the outer edges (frame) of the DVD player and no vents would be blocked. And with the design of your stand, you should have more than adequate ventillation. Better still, as Gary suggested, it would not be difficult to rig a shelf over the DVD to support the receiver.

The DVD player's dimensions are: 17.1 x 4.1 x 14.4

The receiver's dimensions are: 17.1 x 6.7 x 16.4

These dimensions are stated in width x height x depth.

Thus the units are both the same width. Height differences have no impact in this particular problem. The depth, however, is different by 2 inches. Thus, the only way I can place the receiver on top of the DVD player is if I can find a way to securely place a plate on the top back portion of the DVD player.

Thoughts on this, anyone?

I know for a fact the Denon 3802 does run quite hot and placing a DVD player on top is NOT a good idea.It will block ventilation more or less and be gently roasted,the lifespan of your DVD player will be cut in the end.

If your DC/DVD player is sturdy and not a soda can like I would place the receiver on top of the CD/DVD player.

Three out of four of my CD/DVD players are built like tanks,the cheapie is my Toshiba 5700.Just dont place more than a feather on top.

My big Denon,Pioneer and Sony can hold a 100lbs amp on top with ease!No wonder as the lightest unit weighs in at 44lbs.

So if your DVD can take it with ease DVD should never be placed on a power amp or receiver.Unless you have a custom cabinet with active cooling.

While I agree with both Cluless and The Ear I believe the best thing to do is keep your gear separated and cool. Building a shelf above your TV might be the right direction to go. How long do want to keep your gear running without trouble? Stupid question. Right? Well people tend to forget you can also overheat both the DVD player along and the receiver depending on their proximity to each other. That is why stacking these units is not recommended no matter which of the two end up on top of each other. Of course common sense dictates that the amps in the receiver will generate more heat than the player and will require the most ventilation however many DVD players can get pretty warm and the first signs of overheating will be skipping and picture break-up and then Kentucky Fried Denon. If you figure in the heat your TV may contribute to what the units you have stacked are putting out then the longevity of your gear may be in jeopardy. The damage may not appear immediately but eventually heat will cause problems in the future. That is why I use fans on my gear all year long regardless of the fact that almost all of my units have built in fans. The way I look at it is that a little fan noise beats no noise at all. 2.gif

How about using a clip-on fan? Another idea, if ones set-up allowed, would be a remote exhaust fan, ducted to appropriate places in the rack. Think of something like a bath fan, mounted possibly in the attic (keeping the noise down), and ducting within the wall, terminating behind the equipment. It could be switched with your receiver, too. This could be especially nice in a custom rack, with the rear pilaster serving as an exhaust plennum (as well as a wire chase).

fini

Action - Some questions:

1. From the photo you submitted, what is the height from the bottom shelf to the ground? Could the DVD be placed there (on the ground)?

2. What height adjustments of that bottom shelf are available to you? What I'm thinking is that if that bottom shelf can be raised/lowered, it might present some better options for placement of the DVD and/or Denon.

Man....nothing like having to modify something to make it work, eh? 8.gif

Tom

They also tried to sell me a similar model to go with my sony 34" widescreen but I ended up getting a custom stand build to hold all my gear. That stand is nice but doesn't hold squat. Unfortunately, my gear has changed a lot over the past 3 months and now my TT wont fit. I put it on the floor when I bring it upstairs to use.