Something I would really like to hear

Deang

HE10-1Impedance.jpg

This is the impedance curve for the Adire Audio HE10.1 monitor. I truly believe this type of thing is ideal for the SET topology. Has anyone ever heard this speaker?

Someday, I would would love to develop a system completely oriented to low level listening, but I am not convinced that Klipsch is the way to go here. The HE10.1, or better yet -- the HE12.1 might be the perfect speaker for something modest like the Paramours.

I have heard a smattering of cone driver speakers made for low watt amps and some have been ok. That last pair I heard with a variety of SET amps (and the Joule Electra Stargates) was the Silverline Sonata II speakers at 95dB.

sonataII.jpg

These are highly regarded and not too cheap coming in over 5K in price. I heard them with the Wright Sound 3.5 2A3 amps as one of the choices. I thought the speakers were very coherent with nice bottom end and a see-thru like presentation. Why then did I feel the elder, vintage Cornwall with Type B xover and Alnico just walk over it musically? Everyone that heard the two agreed but it was a nice as hell speaker. There is something engaging and alive about horns that I just dont find equaled with the relatively efficient cone speaker offerings. A good friend got to hear the Coincident Victorys as I remember and said the same thing. I was supposed to get a pair of the HE10.1 to have and I couldnt make the room at the time. It's supposed to be a nifty pair of speakers and I regret not following through on that offer as it no longer stands. I have talked to several that have paired them with Paramours for a low cost SET solution. Still, if going the SET route, I would aim higher than the Paramours simply due to the output transformers which really are chosen to meet a price point. You just wont get the extension and quality of some of the better iron. A few more ducats nets you the Wright Sound 3.5 2A3, a better bargain all the way around.

Still, one thing nice about some of these speakers is there is less glare evident with badly recorded material along with a generally more forgiving nature across the board. But the free dynamics and instant on quality does seem to suffer.

kh

Tim, I'm familiar with that particular ribbon driver -- stay away. To get a ribbon type that you would be able to settle in with after listening to the massive soundstage of the Cornwall -- you need to go BIG.

Still, one thing nice about some of these speakers is there is less glare evident with badly recorded material along with a generally more forgiving nature across the board. But the free dynamics and instant on quality does seem to suffer.

Kelly, is this statement is reference to the Adire, or cones in general? If cones in general -- then absolutely. If the statement is in reference to the Adire, than I am surprised, since it does use a pro style woofer with a compression driver -- and a rocking crossover.

That statement was in reference to cone speakers of the Silverline variety which Tim was referring to. When I worked with DIYCable, I was responsible for getting more exposure for the little HE10.1 and the HE10.1s. I must have made 50 graphics of the beasts in various incarnations and was going to have a pair in my office system with the EICO HF-81. I had, and still have, so many speakers and amps in this place, there was just no room until a sale happened. Circumstances changed and I never got the little Adire HE10.1s here.

Actually, I had my Moondogs running with ProAc Mini-Towers for a good while before moving to horns and, due to the hefty nature of the Moondogs PS trans/irons, I got surprisingly good results. Still, the 100 or so dB CW were a dramatic step in opening up the options in all ways via the 2A3.

I still have a soft spot for monitor speakers, however. I think I will always have a pair of some sort.

kh

Dean,

Can you elaborate on that statement a bit? I understand not many speakers will have the "big" sound of the Cornwalls.

Until I do a comparison I'm not sure how much importance I want to place on that particular quality ... are you stating that this particular ribbon has a narrow sound field?

I listen in near field btw.

- tb

How about this for a "Big" ribbon midrange?

Strata RSL One

2 x 10" accelerometer controlled aluminum woofers in an unique compression enclosure system. Powered by an internal 1000w with parametric EQ.

2 x 6.5" VIFA midbass couplers in a dipolar array

1 x 28" BG Ribbon Midrange

4 x Tweeters - Three in the front and one rear-firing

~55" Tall

~140lbs each

$6500/pr with special introductory pricing set for $5000 to $5500 dollars

Late 2003

I've read VMPS rm40 owners like to bi-amp with big SS power below and tube amplification up top....I've never heard any VMPS.

The only speaker I've heard with a ribbon part inside are the mbl 300e's powered by mbl electronics...I was impressed with the life like sound and transparency but not the price.

post-10144-13819248807046_thumb.jpg