Seeking Advice on Old Threshold Preamp

triceratops

I realize this is not the most desirable piece of equipment, but I have an opportunity to buy a mid-1980's Threshold FET-1 preamp very inexpensively.

Since I don't have a discrete preamp (all my amps are low budget integrateds) I thought it might be worthwhile to have this thing kicking around--just in case I come up with a power amp one of these days and want to run a turntable through it.

Does anyone have expeience with thee units? I think they were well thought of in their day even thought that was a while ago.

My speakers are 1960 Klipschorns, 1977 Belles, and 1986 KG-4s. I listen primarily to jazz and eclectic world music with a Sony midline ES CD player and an old B&O turntable. Lots of weak links in the chain...

I would appreciate any observations, opinions, etc.

Best in horns,

triceratops

As far as I know, both Threshold and Counterpoint were highly regarded in their day, and since you're listening to vintage horns, either should do just fine as your preamp. For $100, you can't go wrong, so try it out. If you don't care for it, you can still sell it on AudiogoN or eBay and possibly make a profit to boot!

Thanks, Jim

That's what I was thinking too. My usual strategy is if I come across an interesting piece of equipment at a good price I'll buy it and try it. To appreciate the pros and cons of a piece of gear it helps me to actually listen to it in my home over a few months or so...

Best in horns,

triceratops

Agreed. If I wasn't laid off from my previous employment, I was in the market for several preamps from both Threshold and Counterpoint (sorry, can't recall their models anymore), and a tube preamp from Audio Research as well...all were excellent buys!

If Dean swears that this Threshold is a good deal, then what are you waiting for?2.gif

My mid-1980's Threshold FET-2 preamp Is a great sounding preamp with real nice Phono stage.

It even makes a Phase Linear 700 sound good ( a hard thing to do with khorns)

I belive the FET -2 was the model below the FET-1t and cost close 2 grand back then .

The Music Box In Wellesley Mass( A highly regarded orig Klipsch Delear now closed) swore by Threshold with klipschorns back in the 80,s. They sold a lot ofTthreshold and klipsch together.

Hey Jim, Dean, and khorn58,

Thanks for your respective insights and encouragement. I bought the Threshold preamp Sunday and hooked it up for a test run Monday night. It works and sounds great! Now I need to upgrade everything else...

It was a really cool deal, the seller had the manual and promo literature but no box. He didn't have it hooked up but said I could return it if I wasn't happy with the performance. The thing is in pristine shape, not a scratch! It is a Threshold FET1 Series II, which (believe it or not) retailed for $2200 in the mid-eighties.

The seller had some other pretty cool stuff for sale, so I just bought everything. It was all nice stuff and the prices were real cheap, so I figured I could always get my money back. I also bought a Nakamichi RX-505 cassette deck, a Revox B-226 Signature CD player with remote, and a pair of ADS M-12 speakers. I think I'll definitely keep the Nak and the Threshold preamp. We'll see about the other stuff. Thanks to all.

Best in horns,

triceratops