Quad II - How would you describe the sound?

No Disc

Yeah, but what do you know? You bought a damn ADCOM GFA-555! heh.... Ole Dean. If anyone were to track the hundreds of posts we have exchanged over the years, they would be in shock. It's a scary path to follow. This forum's history is filled with strange twists and turns. I sometimes get a headache thinking about it.

I love the Quicksilver amps too. I have recommended them many times. Every time I hear one, I end up saying, "you know, that's a damn nice sounding amplifier - I keep forgetting about ole Quicksilver." Then again, there is this middle of the road comfortable sound about them that keeps them from ascending some heights with the "HIFI" set. But I have always liked Mike's amps. I just find it hard to buy them, however.

I think ole Tim should go with those Joule Electra Stargates for some reason. I dont know why, but I think he would dig them though getting an audition is not as easy as walking into a Zip Mart. Still, they arent cheap, but damn if they are not some detailed, open, fast beasts.

Ultimately, at the time, I felt the Wrights were more natural sounding in the midrange but dont hold me to that. The Stargates were like a surgeon's scalpel! I kind of want to hear them again.

kh

Ha! You're wrong! It was an Adcom 555 II 9.gif , and what I really wanted it for was a DIY sub project for the "movie" system. That stupid thing actually sounded tolerable on the RF-7's.

Mike's not a flashy guy. Just down to earth, quietly going about his business. I think he must have a great set of ears, because I've never read a bad thing about anything he's ever put together.

I have several valued quotes I've accumulated from phone conversations with him.

Me: What do you think Mike, should I have those wired in triode?

Mike: (audible groan), no, no, you really don't want to do that.

Me: Any chance I can get a schematic from you for those?

Mike: I don't have a schematic. What do you need a shematic for, the circuit's so simple you could trace it out yourself in a couple of minutes.

Me: I've been trying to figure out this thing with negative feedback. Seems like no one can really agree on whether it's really good or really bad. I figure it's O.K. if you know what you're doing with it. Do you use it?

Mike: Yeah, you want to lower distortion.

Me: So I guess you don't believe it sucks the life out of the music?

Mike: (laughs), No.

Me: I noticed you don't use any metallized polypropylenes.

Mike: No.

Me: Why not?

Mike: They sound terrible. I'd use an electrolytic before I'd use one of those.

Me: I heard you listen to Klipschorns?

Mike: Yeah.

Me: What amps do you use with them? Cary?

Mike: (Laughs). I've heard those before, I wasn't that impressed. I use the Horn Monos.

http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?581