AUTOFORMERS AND CAPS

dtximages

----------------

On 8/18/2003 11:03:14 AM clspruiell wrote:

COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT AN AUTOFORMER AND A CAP IS ON THESE CROSSOVERS? ALSO, WHAT SHOULD I DO TO THEM TO MAKE MY LA SCALAS BETTER? AND WHATS IT GONNA COST ME?

THANKS ----------------

I'll bite

The autoformer attenuates the output of the midrange compression driver. If it wasn't in the circuit the system would sound like it has even less bass than it does already.

Crossover capacitors (or "caps" as you prefer) let highs pass and filter out the lows.

How to make them sound better? The answer to this question depends on your experience and what you can realistically expect to gain give the limitations of the transducers used and the design of the horns themselves. Bottom line is you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.

----------------

On 8/19/2003 12:28:54 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

I wouldn't know.

Shouting in full caps is not going to do much.

>your taking this *full caps* thing a liitle too serious. No one is shouting (at least in my head)

Comparing them to poultry excrement is not going to do much either.

>it got a laugh out of Albright, that's something.

Can we start again.

>You know Gil, this isn't an FAA Incident Audit.

Gil
----------------

I replaced the oil caps, on my AA crossovers, and the woofer inductor, with a Solen air 2.5Mhy, and honestly i caint say it sounds better LOL!

So i just left them, as type AA, this way instead of ALK, but now that my k-horns are stored, down the road i think ill finish the ALKs!

Maybe its because these are k-horns who knows!

Rick Tate built ALKs for his La Scalas, i never did get a (sound better) response?

Regards Jim

9.gif

Okay, maybe I over reacted a bit. Just little, little, teensie bit.

I will move the speakers, stand in the corner, and listen to peaceful music.

Maybe if the drivers are where my ears should be and ears are where the drivers should be, there is reciprocity.

BTW are you telling me something about FAA investigations? I was only at one, many years ago.

Grumble.

Gil