Traded Reference for Legends and I couldn't be happier

fabulousfrankie

While browsing Home Theater Forum's for sale/trade forum, I found someone who was selling their KLF-20's and KLF-C7. I wanted them so I put my RF-3II's and RC-3II for sale in the same place. It was my luck that the seller of the KLF's wanted some smaller speakers, he notice my ad and emailed me and asking if I wanted to trade my front three for his front three. Of course I agreed and this last Sat I made a trip from VA to NJ to swap speakers.

I came out way on top with this deal. There really is no comparison between the RF-3II and the KLF-20's. The KLF-20's are by far the superior speaker, my soundstage is now HUGE and it everything seems infinitely detailed. Music and HT are exceptionally more dynamic than the RF-3II's ever were. The two biggest differences I find between them is the greatly improved dynamics and the quality of the bass, while I never found the RF-3II's boomy, the KLF-20's seem tighter, they hit with much more authority, and the low end is also noticably more extended.

For the center, I thought RC-3II was good but the KLF-C7 is simply superb. Again, detail and dynamics is greatly improved but the main difference is the impact the KLF-C7 has. I knew it would be better but I didn't think it would be this good. My whole front stage seems blend together as one cohesive wall of sound now, I never had this with the RC-3II.

I'm still using my RS-3II's as surrounds, and it seems to work well, although with some action oriented DVD's I can tell they kind of get drowned out by the front stage when all speaker are active.

The best thing about my upgrade(and it was a huge one) was that it only cost me a tank of gas.

Isn't it great when a plan comes together. Sounds like you are very happy. Did they ever make a Legend series surround that you could replace the RS-3's with then you would have the whole emsemble. I know how you feel, as my system grew it got better and better. Started with Forte' mains and a KG 2.2V, then to Belle's and a KV-4, and now Khorns and a La Scala. Each increment was a huge jump in performance. Congrats! and above all Enjoy!

FF

For starters great score!

How's the SVS sound with your KLF 20 setup?

I've got 4 KLF 30s and a C7 for my set up. just waiting to get the house built so I can get a better sub have the LF10 for now.

For the surround question nothing made with the Legend badge. Though the KSP S6? is mentioned plus the RS7 has been brought up in the past.

Remember the great heated debate between 2 of our forum members concerning WDST and Direct Radiating. I went Direct since I never had a chance to audition the KSP surrounds. Plus the going rate for KSP S6 is considered extorsion in my book.

Congrats on your trade! I auditioned a pair of 20's at Tweeter 2-3 summers ago and fell in love instantly with their sound.

I'll second the "more Legends for surrounds". I use 20's & 10's for surrounds since my 3802 lets you run 2 pair of surrounds. Currently use a C-7 for back surround and will replace it with a pair of 10's when I move next Spring and also will have 2 pair of 20's for side surrounds. Gotta love them Legends!!

----------------

On 8/18/2003 2:32:14 PM JTS8 wrote:

FF

For starters great score!

How's the SVS sound with your KLF 20 setup?

I've got 4 KLF 30s and a C7 for my set up. just waiting to get the house built so I can get a better sub have the LF10 for now.

For the surround question nothing made with the Legend badge. Though the KSP S6? is mentioned plus the RS7 has been brought up in the past.

Remember the great heated debate between 2 of our forum members concerning WDST and Direct Radiating. I went Direct since I never had a chance to audition the KSP surrounds. Plus the going rate for KSP S6 is considered extorsion in my book.

----------------

I actually sold the SVS a few months back, right now I'm using a sealed sub I built last week using spare sonotube and extra MDF, it uses an original SVS CS driver I had lying around(still have 4 more3.gif). The sealed sub sound fantastic for music and HT, although I find myself wanting to turn it up during movies because I became used to the awesome bottom end of the CS Ultra(I plugged my port to extend to 16hz). I haven't measured my current sub(maybe later today), but I'm guessing with room gain it's flat to about 30hz. With my Reference, the Ultra was nothing short of outstanding, I'm sure it would blend well with my Legends as well(BTW, Tom V of SVS uses Klipsch legends in a secondary HT of his). I used to think the dual LF-10's I owned was as good as it got until I got my hands on a 20-39CS Plus. Even the DIY sub(5.25cu ft tuned to 17hz) I built with my brother using an original SVS CS driver is more musical and has way more low end grunt than the dual LF10's. Like almost every SVS user, I can't say enough good things about them. So why did I get rid of mine you ask? Well I got bit by the DIY bug, I'm almost done with some very large sonosubs, each will house a Stryke AV15 and I also replace my Samson S1000 for a Samson S1500(750Wx2).

I know the KSP-S6 is what Klipsch recommends, but after setting up a few different HT's for family and friends I've found I prefer the sound of direct radiating surrounds instead of a diffuse sound like the WDST Klipsch surrounds. I know what you're talking about with the extortion, I saw the MSRP on them is $750 and a used pair on ebay recently sold for around $770. In any case I think I'm gonna keep my RS-3II's until I move and I can house some larger towers. If I get antsy before then I might consider dual KLF-C7's.

I wouldn't call it a debate. More of a pi$$ing contest. One would have to have heard BOTH speakers in use in their room to argue the merit of each. I have.

In my opinion, nirvana is both direct AND WDST together, as in the Denon receiver option.

Keith

I A/B 'd the Reference 7's and the KLF 30's and went with the 30's. That said for me it was a Rolls vs. Bentley comparison and I would have been very happy with either but the fact that I could have the speakers whose sound appealed most for a little over 1/2 the cost made the 30's a no-brainer.

I have since sold the 30's and replaced them with Klipschorns but anybody who wants to diss the 30's should never do so where I can hear him.

They really are the next best thing to Klipschorns and I do not hesitate to recommend them to all and sundry.