need help - home theater design

mikemo

I have an 18.5' x 18' room with a hardwood floor and wood beam ceiling. I have a Toshiba 65H80 TV and want to put together a home theater system. I have an old pair of Klipsch speakers that I'm going to retire. I've inherited 4 Klipsch Quintet speakers that I'd like to include in this setup if possible. I need:

- sub

- center

- pair of front mains

- receiver

Any suggestions are appreciated. I have a budget of $1500-$2000. Thanks in advance.

You have way too large a room to use Quintets. Have a look at an RF-15 based system. Four of those and an RW-10 or -12 subwoofer would do nicely. Not having prices makes it tough. You may be able to afford 4 RF-25s and an RC-25. The Synergy Series is designed to give a lot of performance for the money, so you may like 4 SF-2s and an SC-1. Go for the biggest RW-series sub you can afford in any case.

Your room is almost square. That makes it more prone to resonance (standing waves). Expect resonance at 63 and 31.5 hz and probably 126, too. After you get the room together, listen for a few exaggerated bass notes and consider treating the room corners with bass absorbing blocks or tubes.

The ideal shape/proportion of a hometheater (is this a compound word yet?) is an enlarged shoebox. Don't ask me where I read that, but you can find it on the internet somewhere. Beyond that, it is all room treatment, equipment, seating position, and the ethereal, ambient "feeling" of your completed room.

Well back to the $1500 - $2000 budget, you can get a pair of RF-25, RS-25, and an RC-25 that will fit in the budget nicely. If you're not against buying online, you can upgrade that to R?-35 all the way around, instead. That will all end up around $1500 in cost, and you may need a sub (the pair of 8inch from the two RFs may not be enough punch). With sub you'll be bumping into your $2000 limit, so that's completely up to you.

Room size should be a rectangle base on the "Golden Means Ratio" which is 1.6 - 1.

In order for the Klipschorns to "breathe" and sound their fullest a room the size of 27x16x10 has been suggested. The diagnal of the room would be 32 feet, the lenght of the lowest musical note that the Khorns could fully reproduce. The speakers would be placed against the long wall in the corners.

Most folk won't go for a room this size but a rectangle is much better than a square...

There is "Dope from Hope" newsletter that explains it all...