Want To Buy........

Gilbert

Gilbert,

If I were in your position (unfortunately, I am not so flexible any more), I would go to a lumber yard (one that supplies cabinet makers, i.e. NOT Home Depot/Lowes), and poke around to find a wood you like. You can get pretty much any wood in 3/4" sheets, and you need one sheet per Cornwall. I would just make new boxes, and install components from another pair of Cornwalls. You could hire a cabinet shop to put them together, to specifications available here (or, better yet, take a pair in to them, and just ask them to precisely duplicate them in your chosen material). You'd have exactly the wood finish you want, probably sooner than you would by scouring the internet, and probably for less money than what it would take to pry them from the mitts of a smitten Klipschter.

fini

I tend to agree about keeping my Cornwalls all original with their HDBRbuilder-built cabinets and matching serial numbers. I would love to have my Cornwall's cabinets totally refinished by a professional cabinetmaker (my dad stained the raw birch veneer dark walnut back in '79, and today they're dull and lifeless). The original veneer has a beautiful pattern that I'd love to retain, but I'm no woodworker, and with my limited knowledge and skill, I'm afraid I'd do more harm than good to make these cabinets look like fine furniture. I wish he had left the raw birch unfinished (like he did the backs), and now I'm afraid the stain has penetrated too deep into the grain that it cannot be removed properly. Would removing the original veneer ply and applying a new veneer damage the existing cabinets, or would it just be too hard a task to complete, especially with the risers? Can a professional woodworker remove the old finish and restain the existing veneer, or would it be too much trouble and expense?

I defenitly think you could refinish them as origional. Go by yourself a nice DeWalt orbital palm sander (around $70 bucks more or less), get some 120 grit to help remove the stain, follow up with 180 grit and finally 220. And if your really anal, and want a glass smooth finish, give your speakers a vigorous work out with 600 or even 800 grit.

Once the hard parts done just pick your finsh type. If you've never stained before, be sure to read about some of the tricks you can do to either bring out or suppress the grain.

I did mine over the course of 4 days, so take your time, do your research (as you know this forum is loaded with great information), and don't rush into it. It takes time, and makes a mess so prepare yourself a nice spot in which to work. It's a great feeling after you've finished them and you realize how nice they've turned out.

Don't even think about removing the veneer.

Thanks for the refinishing tip, Gilbert. I actually have a little French-made orbital sander my dad left here at the house (with loads of various grit sandpaper). I just hope not to apply too much pressure to the veneer while I'm sanding and make the thickness uneven in spots. This sounds like a great vacation project...I won't be going anywhere this year, so I could spend a week doing this right!

I wouldn't dream of removing the veneer...horrors, what a terrible thought!6.gif

LMAO! Believe it or not, I wouldn't part with my zebras for that amount of cash. I'm a sentimental kind of guy and I've owned mine since new. There is one tiny nick on one speaker and I'd bet someone $10 it would take longer than 10 minutes to find it. They have to be seen in person to appreciate. If I ever found a matching original pair of khorns (or any other heritage), I'd pay a pretty penny to get them.