now i'm really confused (long)

bassetized

i just got off the phone with Klipsch tech support, i wanted to see if they could help me with a problem with magnetic interference from using a '75 Heresy as a center channel. according to what i've read, i shouldn't be having a problem with the tweeter and midrange because they are alnico. the rep said that he thought that it was the tweeter causing the problem. when i pointed that the tweeter shouldn't be the problem, he said that it wasn't just the speaker but also the TV. i suppose so, but i never heard that before. i asked about bucking magnets for the woofer, he said that he didn't think that they made bucking magnets for that woofer. has anybody fixed this problem before? btw i have a 32" JVC, if that really matters...

Klipsch has the bucking magnets for both the midrange and woofer...does that mean that the midrange might be causing the problem? i get that it's probably the woofer, but why make one for the midrange if it's not supposed to be a problem? should i put the bucking magnets on both Heresys even though i'm only using one for the center? (iguess what i'm asking is putting the bucking magnets on change the sound enough to warrent putting them on both speakers?)

i know these are pretty lame questions, but we're having a slow day at work and...

thanks

i tried to get a single early model Heresy ('75) but the seller, who priced the speakers individually, wouldn't split the pair. can't really blame them. does anybody have a single early model Heresy to sell? might just go with the custom built center if i can't score a single. don't know if i can afford another pair so soon.

There is a single Heresy from around that vintage for sale on AudioClassics website. Their prices are high! Perhaps some haggling could be done, I know that they payed alot less to purchase it then what they are asking for it. It looks like it is the Walnut finish with the pie slice logo in the upper left corner. They have a single Belle also priced at what you would expect to pay for a pair, what thieves!

bassetized,

I was thinking of watching ebay for a pair of cosmetically beat up (but functionally fine) Heresy's, and then splitting the pair with someone who wants one for a center speaker.

I recently bought a circa '78 pair of Heresy's that looked real bad, had a blown tweeter, and fixed them up - now they look and sound brand new. I paid about $250 for the pair!

If I can work out a partnership with someone who is willing to split a pair, we can get a nice single center for less than $200 including shipping. That amount is equal to or less than a comparable "non-Heritage" center speaker!

Just an idea!2.gif

Milton

i hope i'm not breaking some kind of copywrite law, but i'm posting the reponse i got back today from Klipsch Tech Support about shielding for Heresy's (specifically older models)----

"You should not have a problem with the K-55-V mid or the Alnico magnet on the tweeter as they do not have that much stray magnetism, if any.

I just verified this with the K-55-V and alnico K-77 I have here and they are fine to within 2 1/2 inches of my flat screen PC monitor. Closer than that and they start to effect the screen.

I would suggest most, if not all, of the problem is from the woofer.

One thing to try, if you have a cookie sheet that will fit inside the speaker, lay it on what is now the bottom.

This may be enough to offset any or most of what the tweeter may be causing.

What sometimes may be used is 1/16 to 1/8 cold rolled metal plate."

the cookie sheet idea is way cool and might work for newer model Heresy's.

First off, a '75 Heresy has an AlNiCo midrange and tweeter that are self-shielded. They don't need shielding or bucking magnets and you can't use them either. The woofer should be a K-22-E with an unshielded ceramic magnet. It is the source of your problems. Try turning the speaker upside down (tweeter closest to the TV). If that doesn't work, you have 2 options: buy an old AlNiCo woofer from a 60s Heresy (seen on ebay) or bucking magnets. Bucking magnets are probably the cheaper option.

I'm guessing the Klipsch tech is young and not versed in the older speakers. The things he described make it sound like he was confusing your Heresy with an HII. Klipsch Audio Technologies is in the unusual position of having properly operating products in the wild that are older than any of the employees.

I shielded my Cornwall speakers using thin sheets of steel and cardboard. The basket on the woofer was the biggest problem.

See my post in the Home Theater "Magnet shield for Cornwall speaker" dated 5-14-2003. Same idea should work on the Heresy. The cost is low but it will take some work to cut and bend the steel sheet metal.