K55M phase plug?

sfogg

I just picked up another pair of La Scala's. I'll be using three of them for L/C/R.

My first pair is '76 models with AA (now ALKs) and the spring terminal K55V midranges and round magnet tweeters. They were raw birch originally but were stained at some point.

The 'new' Scala's (mid 80s haven't checked the serial numbers yet) have ALs (will have ALKs) and the M version of the midrange and tweeter. It has the K400 horn. These were also raw birch but were just oiled over the years.

From what I've read in the archives the two tweeter versions sound pretty much identical so that is good. The Dope from Hope papers say the mud magnet version of the tweeter has a few dB better high end response so I'll test that at some point. I believe they also have twice the power handling.

How do the midrange drivers compare? Do the K55Ms have the improved phase plug of the later K55Vs with the solder terminals? I believe that keeps it flatter up to the 6k crossover point.

The 'new' ones will be the L/Rs (as they are near mint) and I'll use one of my '76s for the center. Unfortunatly I don't have the room ready yet so I can't compare them side by side.

Is there enough of a difference in the tweeters and mid-ranges to make it worth while to match everything up? I have a spare spring terminal K55V so it would be easy to have all three use that driver.

Thanks,

Shawn

I believe it is not quite as simple as that.

The V was made by Atlas and the off the shelf unit may have been altered a bit by PWK. The V was made special for PWK by Electrovoice (a later model for Klipsch). I recall the internal number by EV was and 1891. The last publicly available EV of the series was the 1828 (maybe). I've used those.

Now I've not seen any info comparing the guts of the two.

The point is, though, that these came from different manufacturers and so I suspect it is incorrect to assume the M is a simple update of the V.

Al K. and the rest of the gang probably know more.

Gil

Gil,

"The point is, though, that these came from different manufacturers and so I suspect it is incorrect to assume the M is a simple update of the V."

OK, that is why I asked as I couldn't find much info comparing the K55M vs. either version of the K55V.

Thanks,

Shawn

Shawn, I was told by Trey C. at Klipsch that I could not run the K-55M's with my "AA" crossovers without modification. In addition, he said I could not run the K-55V's on my AK-2, now AK-3 equivalents with modification to the crossover. I am running the K-55M's in my Khorns and the the K-55V's in my La Scala's and I don't perceive any difference between the two. Alot of folks say that the soldered terminal K-55V's are the best ones to have, but I have also been told that the K-55M's were the best Klipsch produced. I honestly think it is a matter of personal preference and I think it would take a highly trained set of ears to differentiate between the two. For sanity sake I would do as you suggested run the K-55V's across the front and the K-55M's in the rear but I guess it could go either way. I don't think you will be able to tell the difference.

Hi Guys,

I have tested the K55V with and without the new phase plug and the K55M. The "M" is a "clone" of the later "V" and perform identically. The two are virtually identical in performance. Only the "V" with the push-pin connections is somewhat less desirable. It has a "glitch" at 9 KHz that shouldn't be there and has slightly rougher response.

Al K.

• 8 years later...

Hello,from age 17-28 I've had 72 pairs of klipsch,k-horns,lascala's.ectectect...I got out of it for a while....Nowat 35 I'm just getting back in to it slowly with a tight budget,"getting married".I just traded my klf-30's for a mint pair of cornwalls c.w.l. I couldnt believe the sound from the cornwalls.The klf 's sounded way better in the mids & highs. I replaced the tweeter diaphrams with the EV cups $35 each,and just ordered Bob Crites type B crossovers.I cant wait to see if it makes a big differance.I'm running an adcom 5500 with gtp- 450,I know,I know...not as good as my old 565 preamp & 565 mono blocks but $$$$ is short.I was wondering if the new crossovers will eliminate the distortion in the highs when turned up loud???

The klf-30's didnot distort!! Bass in cornwalls is awesome!!,but highs SUCK!! Are the k-55v's with soldered connections as good as the newer k-55m's??