LOTR Two Towers SOUND???

phansson

I finally watched the Two Towers yesterday. I have been upgrading my system for about a month. I was very excited about watching LOTR.

The soundtrack sounded very high with very little mid range response. Is this a problem with the DVD or my system. I have watched other movies and do not seem to see this problem.

Any help???

to me it had a ton of bass and plenty of midrange. and this is even after I took the RSW-15 out of that system and replaced it with a modded JBL PB-12 sub. I can't imagine what it would be like if I had the RSW-15 down there still. maybe it's because you don't have any subwoofer?

I messed around with the settings last night and got closer to the sound I am looking for. I tried a coaxial digital cable ( was using toslink) it seemed to mellow the highs and bring the mids in a little.

To marksdad:

How do you have your denon 2900 hooked up? Coaxial or toslink???

it struck me i did not answer your question. i run my s video directly from my 2900 to my tv, i take my sound to my processor with an fiber cable, i run 2 channel with a set of dimarzo interconnects, and dvd-a with 5 seperate cables, and i have to say it all sounds amayzing. 1 thing, on my B&K gear i have 2 settings, 1 is my default setting for dvd-a, and when i am going to play dvd 5.1 if i do not re-set to default 2 i will playback 5,1 channel audio, instead of dolby digital they sound very different, as you say light in the mids and bass, you might check to see if you are playing dvd-a? or dolby digital12.gif

• 3 weeks later...

phansson....

Very funny you should mention this. I was just complaining to myself about this very thing. So much so I started a new thread up in 2 channel land asking how I could get more midrange out of my system. I was thinking my speakers were not able to get the mids. I mean hell, it's 2 towers afterall, it should have one of the best soundtracks ever right? It just couldn't be that it must be my speakers right? I am not thinking so anymore.

I agree with you 100%, it's the soundtrack, not your system. Very glad to see that someone else noticed it also. 1.gif

I hate that I am starting to pick up on things like this. I miss the very early days when every movie sound just as good as the last. Now that I have been doing this home theater hobby for 1.5 years now, I am starting to pick up on flaws in soundtrack. Or what I see as flaws. 4.gif

----------------

On 9/16/2003 1:31:55 AM m00n wrote:

You got will power there tank. There was no way I was waiting until the super duper verion came out. I had long ago submitted to the fact that I was going to be the proud owner of multiple copies of 2 towers.
4.gif

----------------

mOOn,

I agree. When I saw the first LOTR and then the EE of the FOTR, I knew I was destined to own 6 movies... by the way, wanted to say, off topic, the images from your projector on your DIY screen is awesome. I hope next year is a better year for me so I can start building my own theater.

----------------

On 9/16/2003 10:38:27 AM m00n wrote:

chinoloco, thanks and good luck. Under normal circumstances I would have not been able to afford this either, but I was able to do a little side work as well as someone push aside "reason", thus allowing me max out my plastic money
4.gif

----------------

What?!?!?! I have always thought your personal cinema at your home is "reasonable". I just have to tell my wife.. movies tickets, parking, popcorn, dinner is like $50.00 each time and even she starts thinking a $20K HT system is reasonable.

Well let me give you a tip. This is a very important tip so listen closely...

it's better to buy, suprise your wife, take your lumps rather and ask for forgivness rather than ask for permission and be told no!

If you follow this simple tip, you will be on your way to cinema bliss in no time. 9.gif