RB-15 or RB-25? Flared port placement and woofer.

ivo

Hi everyone,

I am about to buy either the RB-15 or RB-25 speakers. I am slightly biased towards the RB-15 because my room is small but I don't want to compromise too much for the sound. The RB-25 (former RB-3) must be great, but I have found no reviews for the RB-15.

The main difference seems to be the slightly larger woofer in the RB-25 (6.5" versus 5.25") and that the RB-25 has a front flared port, while the RB-15 has a back flared port.

My questions are:

1. What does a flared port do? What would be the sound difference of a front flared port and a back flared port?

2. Is a 6.5" vs 5.25" significant?

Thanks!

Ivo

The flared port will reduce the possibility of undesireable port noise. Front or rear porting will need to be considered depending on where you are going to place the speakers. The port needs room to breathe so you can't put a rear ported speaker butted up against a wall it won't work correctly.

Will you notice a difference between the 5.25 woofers vs. the 6.5 woofers - YES! You most certainly will, the larger woofers would be obviously be capable of a lower frequency response and increased power handling. Go with as big as you can get in there, buy the best speakers that your budget can afford you will not be sorry. Otherwise you run the risk of being disappointed, then having to sell what you bought to upgrade best to get the best speaker you can right off.

Definately go with the larger woofers. The sound is much more rich and powerful. Also, as you may have noticed the RB 25 have a sensitivity of 94 db, as oppoised to the 93 db of the RB 15. The higher sensitivity means that the RB 25 speakers can play louder with less power, and therefore will sound better all around.

Go for the RB 25, because the bigger you go the better. You'll beat yourself up forever if you go with the RB 15's and eventually end up spending more money on trading them in for larger speakers. It's truly an addictive thing. Are you sure you can't fit floor standing speakers?

Cool guys! I didn't expect so much response. I appreciate that.

Well I called the importer here in Switzerland and they will send the local dealer both the RB-15 and RB-25 for listening. Great, so I can really hear it myself.

Well the Klipsch will be connected to a cheapy $1000 Pioneer DVD home system. The home cinema has a woofer 25Hz-300Hz with 6inch woofer unit. I got fed up with the supplied speakers (horrible center, couldn't hear the dialogues) and decided to invest first in good center speaker. Read that the Klipsch centers are the best, and then decided in upgraded the front speakers too. The Bose 101 monitor will be used for the surrounds. (yeah, don't bash me about the Bose).

Anyway, any newbee advice on how to test the speakers when I am at the dealer? I am a casual listener and listen to all kinds of music. Important is that the speakers should also be very nice at low volume because I listen often at nights and people complain soon here in Switzerland. Did you know you are not allowed to flush the toilets after midnight? Also, to me the voice range should be really clear. I hate unnatural voices.

Thanks guys.

---Ivo

My only concern with using the RB-25's with that subwoofer is that the 25's have a low frequency limit of 49Hz. My guess would be that the low freqency output of that subwoofer might peak at about the same frequencies that the RB-25's low frequencies also hit their peak. This could make the system boomy in, say, the 80Hz. to 120Hz. region. The RB-15's don't go nearly as low as the 25's and might integrate a lot better with that sub. Is it possible to bring the sub when you audition the 15's and 25's? If so, I would bring the sub and listen very carefully for how both the 15's and 25's integrate with the sub.