Real Digital Cable

Aaron N

dishnetwork has hbo hd, sho hd (showtime), 1 FULL TIME ppview, and a cool demo channel. dd output, and my dishplayer model 7200 has a hard drive that records (up to 12 hrs) the DIGITAL BITSTREAM from the satellite, so if the show is in dd 2ch or dd 3/2/1 it PLAYS BACK w/original picture AND SOUND quality!! also even though i don't and won't subscribe to webtv, the webtv software-driven program guide is WAY COOL! search allows me to enter ie: william shatner/largemouth bass fishing/motorcycle racing, etc... and lists any show on any channel for 1 week w/ those words in the title or description! goes a long way w/the waf when her favorite shows get auto-recorded, and i love the playback/a/v quality! avman.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea avman, my cable also has hbo & showtime HD channels

as well as a local station HD channel so there Wink.gif

i think cable is going the route of storing everything on their centralized computer so u don't have to pay for the home equipment. maybe just a lil harddrive to go along w/ the box(modem) for storing your own info.

i think cable has the real advantage of 2-way broadband whereas dbs is broadband only on downloads.

& i think the cable cos. will be exploiting that advantage fully in the near future. hopefully all the competition makes it better for us soon.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Boa12- Did I read that right.....Your cable co. send out a HD signal for HBO & Showtime??? I must have missed a memo!!!

I have MediaOne, excuse me, Comcast now due to recent buyout. I was just getting ready to give cable the boot but I can't come to terms with the cost of 5 set top decoders for DBS in my 5 viewing locations in my house.

Brett

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Niles in-wall volume controls

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

bloomis, yes but i have time warner. when i tune to them i get a blank screen so they must be working (since i don't have a hdtv) cwm12.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

brett, actually time warner has 4 hd offerings now:

hbohd, shohde(showtime east), shohdw(west), & kcpthd (local pbs station).

just gor 'em the last few months. hope u get 'em soon.

keep on 'em. now i just need one of them newfangled hd tvs.

Right On Boa12...Now I shall sit tight and harass my local cable provider for more info/updates on their status. HDTV now sounds a lot easier if I don't have to upgrade to DBS-Satellite through the house. Cable is the low cost ticket if the audio/video quality are there. I can't even watch all the stuff that's on 84 channels now!!!

Thanks Boa12

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Niles wall plates

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35"

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Niles in-wall volume controls

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

WOW!

For a minute there I thought I had wondered into a beginners forum on Digital Media. Now I don't want to get off on a rant here, but ... Digital Cable DOES NOT.... I repeat DOES NOT give you better picture/sound quality than DBS nor do I think it is a close comparison. It kind of made me think of a conversation I overheard at Blockbuster while looking for some DVDs to rent. A patron actually said "There isn't any difference in picture quality when you compare DVD with VHS". I did a side by side in my house very recently, DBS won hands down. Several of my friends went with Digital Cable, then switched to either Dish or DirecTv. I have had DirecTv for at least four years now. The picture is much better than digital cable is now or may ever hope to be. With a high resolution TV you WILL notice the difference. That's just my opinion. Are there any other DBS users here who have done the same comparison?

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 surrounds

KG -3.5 rear effects

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

cola, i haven't tried dbs at my home here yet. too busy spending the upfront $ for dbs on speakers & components. Wink.gif

but imho a lot has changed in 4 yrs. though i admit i think that the cable cos. have only gotten better due to the competition from dbs. i also think that the AOL/Time Warner combo is already changing that catch-up model.

f.e., i can say in my case the digital channels like showtime give me just as good a picture & sound quality as a dvd (for a movie that's broadcast in dolby digital by showtime & that is up to showtime not whether one has cable or dbs).

i concur that w/ dbs you're getting that direct download from the sat., whereas w/ cable they get it from a sat then send it over the cable (though that is subject to change to all fiber optic cable transmissions in the future). but the quality is then more up to the specific cable co. & their lines/equipment.

so in the same regard i don't think one can make a blanket statement that any dbs network is superior to all cable cos. they both can vary in quality from provider to provider. but i agree in a general sense that a digital cable (for now anyway) pretty much won't be superior to dbs. just roughly equal at best.

anyway, i don't see in this thread where anyone said digital cable was superior in picture/sound quality. i myself was talking about things like channel selections, dolby digital transmissions, & the future features of cable; like not just them but we the users sending a 16 meg file to somebody over their network in a few seconds. iow, think of all the interactivity possibilities.

thanks for the "expert" opinion. cwm32.gif

but be careful here, this is another of those "tastes great-less filling" debates. & many want to justify their choices. cwm30.gif

& there is a "dish network..." thread under general started by keith. you'll find much dbs support there.

i myself was afraid to post anything pro-cable on that one. i admire your courage Biggrin.gif

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-13-2001 at 02:19 PM

i should add for those who even care at this point that

most of the dbs providers are also offering things like

webtv for net connections. they could also offer that

w/ a broadband connection like dsl.

but the tech & cost advantages a cableco like AOL Time Warner has on broadband are numerous. just hope they get on the ball & get 'em out soon. cwm35.gif

boa,

I just re-read my post. Darned if I couldn't find the word "expert" anywhere in it. Just an opinion based on what my own eyes and ears have experienced Biggrin.gif. I use a cable modem for internet access currently. Can't get a better interenet experience than that. Many of the PPV movies on DBS are dolby digital, while others are both letter boxed and dolby digital. Interactive TV .... hmmm ... I'll stick with my PC for internet stuff. Great trading remarks and experiences with you though!

cola, sorry if i took your "media beginners forum" the wrong way & put that ""expert"" in there. i was just joking on that, hence the cwm32.gif

if u were refering to me that's fine. i'm no media tech expert by far* cwm12.gif

but darn if i can find anyone saying the pic/sound quality of dig cable is superior either. sorry if that was implied or perceived. cwm38.gif

anyway, glad u got those 2 klf-30 surrounds in there. that must sound sweet. cwm35.gif

*disclaimer

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-13-2001 at 03:21 PM

Boa,

I have the same AE box (TWC) and it does have the Digital Coax Out. If I run the coax cable (does it have to be a digital coax cable?) from digital out to my receiver's digital coax in, will I only be able to listen to my TV through the receiver? Is that what you mean by running coax from cable box audio out (non digital) to the TV audio in?

Mike

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

yea i've had the scientific atlanta explorer 2000's digital audio out connected by tributary rca coax to the coax digital in on my receiver for a while now.

i finally did get showtime & hbo added & a few of showtime movies are broadcast in DD 5.1 (lfe & all).

no such luck w/ hbo though - just dolby surround/prologic there but still sounds much better than analog prologic. & the digital music channels sound pretty impressive in 5 channel stereo mode (& no commercials compared to FM radio.

jeff G, can u get that plate/cover off (unscrew the cover) or is it soldered/welded on?

aaron, most cable guys don't even know bout the digital

audio out on the boxes. be sure the box back doesn't actually have 1. what kinda dig box do u have? if no go there ask a few at the cableco if they have a sciatlanta explorer box or something newer w/ that output.

mike, is that out an rca plug type out or a cable tv coax connection out? what's AE? if u have dig cable & a dig set-top, u'd be looking for a single rca jack called like digital audio out.

as long as you're getting sound now from your tv u wouldn't lose that. but w/ this connection u gain digital sound from your receiver(w/ the dolby decoder) & speakers.

all u need is a single digital rca audio cable like u might use for a dvdp (they call 'em coax but that's really a misnomer). even a radio shack video cable will do. just make sure it has/requires rca plugs, not those cable co types which is i guess a REAL coax plug.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-13-2001 at 06:45 PM

Sorry boa! That's SAE (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100). My bad... Smile.gif

It is a single RCA plug for Digital output. It also has the dual RCA plugs for Analog output. I do not have my system hooked up yet as I am not quite moved in. I also have never used an AVR before, so this is all new to me. My system consists of the following:

Denon 4800 AVR

Panasonic RP91 DVD

POS TEAC CD player

Dual CS-721 Turntable

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's

Klipsch KLF-C7

Klipsch RS-3's

SVS 20-39CS w/Samson Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Since I can't afford the Pioneer Elite RPTV at the moment, I am sticking with my Mitsu 31" TV and will go with TWC as opposed to DBS, during the short-term. If I want to listen to cable, without the stereo turned on, will I have to utilize the cable box's analog output as well? I would assume I would have to run that to my TV?

Thanks again,

Mike

quote:

mike, is that out an rca plug type out or a cable tv coax connection out? what's AE? if u have dig cable & a dig set-top, u'd be looking for a single rca jack called like digital audio out.

as long as you're getting sound now from your tv u wouldn't lose that. but w/ this connection u gain digital sound from your receiver(w/ the dolby decoder) & speakers.

all u need is a single digital rca audio cable like u might use for a dvdp (they call 'em coax but that's really a misnomer). even a radio shack video cable will do. just make sure it has/requires rca plugs, not those cable co types which is i guess a REAL coax plug.

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Lindsey:

Sorry boa! That's SAE (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100). My bad...
Smile.gif

My system consists of the following:

Denon 4800 AVR

Panasonic RP91 DVD

POS TEAC CD player

Dual CS-721 Turntable

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's

Klipsch KLF-C7

Klipsch RS-3's

SVS 20-39CS w/Samson Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Since I can't afford the Pioneer Elite RPTV at the moment, I am sticking with my Mitsu 31" TV and will go with TWC as opposed to DBS, during the short-term. If I want to listen to cable, without the stereo turned on, will I have to utilize the cable box's analog output as well? I would assume I would have to run that to my TV?

Thanks again,

Mike

mike, great sys. & u even have the SAE 2100! i may have to call to upgrade

cwm12.gif

& yea you're all digital sound capable for those dig channels. hook your SAE dig out to the dig in(coax) of your denon (i think that has at least 2 coax ins if u need it).

you'll need to assign that input on the denon to whatever device on the remote. i use tv.

& for in tv i just use the auto input mode mostly, though sometimes i'll change that to dolby or 5 channel stereo.

as long as it's a 5.1 sound broadcast, like showtime has for some movies, you'll get 5.1 digital output.

yet to see a DTS broadcast.

u can still hook the box up which ever way to the tv or vcr/tv so that you'll get sound out of the tv for the analog channels w/ the receiver turned off.

what i do is also run the twin analog plugs from the SAE audio outs to the vcr/tv audio ins, then run the variable audio outs of the tv to the tv analog inputs of my receiver. that way i get sound from the tv if by far chance the receiver is turned off & when the receiver is on the volume control of the tv will also control the volume output by the receiver. but u can only directly control digital input volume w/ the receiver volume control (well u can control the fixed audio level from the SAE in it's set-up functions).

works real well for me.

quote:

mike, great sys. & u even have the SAE 2100! i may have to call to upgrade

cwm12.gif

& yea you're all digital sound capable for those dig channels. hook your SAE dig out to the dig in(coax) of your denon (i think that has at least 2 coax ins if u need it).

you'll need to assign that input on the denon to whatever device on the remote. i use tv.

& for in tv i just use the auto input mode mostly, though sometimes i'll change that to dolby or 5 channel stereo.

as long as it's a 5.1 sound broadcast, like showtime has for some movies, you'll get 5.1 digital output.

yet to see a DTS broadcast.

u can still hook the box up which ever way to the tv or vcr/tv so that you'll get sound out of the tv for the analog channels w/ the receiver turned off.

what i do is also run the twin analog plugs from the SAE audio outs to the vcr/tv audio ins, then run the variable audio outs of the tv to the tv analog inputs of my receiver. that way i get sound from the tv if by far chance the receiver is turned off & when the receiver is on the volume control of the tv will also control the volume output by the receiver. but u can only directly control digital input volume w/ the receiver volume control (well u can control the fixed audio level from the SAE in it's set-up functions).

works real well for me.

------------------

Bill James