Best song/music to show off imaging?

Manuel Delaflor

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take Five? I have heard of this number but not had the pleasure of hearing it over a fine stereo. Does this Dave Brubaker fellow do a solo? I did a search online and Mr. Brubaker has a lot of hits.

Please be more specific regarding the imaging! I would very much like to hear more about this Dave Brubaker.

I hear the words TAKE FIVE all the time and now I know what it is in reference to! TAKE FIVE!

He must be from California, probably Hollywood where he got inspired by movies and directing and whatnot.

kh

Perhaps that recording was "Jazz at the Savings & Loan," long regarded by many to be THE audiophile masterpiece. Recorded on a lonely Wednesday afternoon sometime late in the first Reagan administration at an out-of-the-way S&L in Phoenix AZ featuring only local, run-of-the-mill players attempting to entertain the folks in line trying to get their money out before it was too late, this recording has a lifelike, "you are there" quality that is downright spooky. The music is nothing to write home about, but the RECORDING is glorious. Let's hope your system is UP to the challenge!

----------------

On 9/2/2003 4:42:03 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Perhaps that recording was "Jazz at the Savings & Loan," long regarded by many to be THE audiophile masterpiece. Recorded on a lonely Wednesday afternoon sometime late in the first Reagan administration at an out-of-the-way S&L in Phoenix AZ featuring only local, run-of-the-mill players attempting to entertain the folks in line trying to get their money out before it was too late, this recording has a lifelike, "you are there" quality that is downright spooky. The music is nothing to write home about, but the RECORDING is glorious. Let's hope your system is UP to the challenge!

----------------

Thanks Allan!

I'll surely put that on my list!

Jeff, I think this IS the record although Allan and I have discussed others as well, all considered Top Gun selections for the Audiophile. Sadly, I seem to be 0-5 as I dont have "Jazz at the Savings and Loan" either. Like you, I am putting it back to the top of the list, right after Dave Brubaker's stuff, a heads up rec by prodj101. And by the way, you dont have to poke fun just because I dont have a record. I have PLENTY of other great jazz records, many given to me by my father! I listend to them side by side with ole DAD and they bring back heartfelt memories of days gone by.

I love music that reminds me of good times and my Dad and I shared many a moment listening to the top stuff from the greats like Glenn Miller and others (like Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman and the GREATS). Glenn Miller was also an IMAGE king too! I dont know of anyone that didnt like him.

Allan, correct me if I am wrong, but wasnt some of Glen Miller's side men at the "JAzz at the S&L" gig? I may have this wrong but damn if I dont remember it like this. "Cheddar O Clock Jump" was the big one off this number but I cant find anything online at all! Sometimes the NET is a black hole when you need the REAL info. IT sure came up short in this instance.

I have put the feelers out for the S&L and PAWNSHOP gig. The Pawnshop had some better tunes but wasnt recorded as well. Sometimes you have to sacrifice imaging for quality. The JAzz at the Pawnshop is just such a case!

Well done, Allan and Jeff!

kh

dave brubeck does not do a solo on take five. he is a piano player, not sax. paul desmond does the alto solo, and the head of the song. on my RF-5's it has a perfect center image, and it sounds as if there is a center channel. paul desmond actually wrote that one, the dave brubeck quartet just made it happen. I have never figured out if take five refers to the 5th take in shooting a scene, or take a five minute break, as employers often say....

----------------

On 9/2/2003 7:40:02 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I tell you one thing, the good ones image like a bastard!

----------------

I'll tell you this, live unamplified beer bottles opening should really be heard from time to time to "ground you" on an aural reference!

Now if you excuse me, I'll see if live unamplified opening of that nice bottle of Calvados can float my boat (I'm out of beer and wine since your last visit here).

Lord... you are kiddin' me? OUT???

That was some excellent red wine experienced throughout one of the best prepared full course meals I have had the pleasure of eating, all while on the roof top of Jean-Francois' Quebec City flat.

I still remember the evening fondly, despite the 100F temperature inside and those screeching 300B amps! heh....

kh

----------------

On 9/2/2003 8:22:19 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Lord... you are kiddin' me? OUT???

That was some excellent red wine experienced throughout one of the best prepared full course meals I have had the pleasure of eating, all while on the roof top of Jean-Francois' Quebec City flat.

I still remember the evening fondly, despite the 100F temperature inside and those screeching 300B amps! heh....

kh

----------------

It was a bit hot indeed having the Tenor playing would have pushed the temperature at 115-120 oF.

Of course I expect you to sail up here next year with your Beneteau if the hurricane heading your way doesn't put a end to its misery soon.

Take Five? I have heard of this number but not had the pleasure of hearing it over a fine stereo. Does this Dave Brubaker fellow do a solo? I did a search online and Mr. Brubaker has a lot of hits.

That's right up there with Eric Clapner...

I have never figured out if take five refers to the 5th take in shooting a scene, or take a five minute break, as employers often say....

A possibility is that it's named that way because it's time signature is 5/4. This was written in the 60s and it took sheer genious to predict that future imaging for 5.1 surround will play one beat of each measure alternating through each channel, though they weren't sure which beat to put through the sub...

That's right up there with Eric Clapner...

I wonder how many people could read this thread for what it was... Evidently, three who posted plus one....two? Again, this place is amazing. I wonder why more people arent electrocuted. Feliz Navidad.

A possibility is that it's named that way because it's time signature is 5/4. This was written in the 60s and it took sheer genious to predict that future imaging for 5.1 surround will play one beat of each measure alternating through each channel, though they weren't sure which beat to put through the sub...

This DOES have beauty...

kh

Sorry guys - but you have obviously all been opening too many bottles of beer for testing purposes to be of any real benefit here.

When we talk about imaging I am afraid this is one area where newer technologies come to the fore. Vinyl may be good at some things but imaging isnt one of them (unless I have wired up my system wrongly).

No - for really good imaging you need to look at DVD. I get the clearest picture of what is going on on my 32 inch Sony - with vinyl all I get is fuzzy black lines whether I connect the red or the white cables into the yellow recepticle.

Wasnt there a drum solo on that Take 5 album someone refered to? I seem to remember hearing it once and just as it was getting good some idiot on a piano joined in and ruined the whole thing. Still couldnt see a dman thing though.