Help me with my Cornwall tweeter please.

Woodog

Got a new/old pair of 85 Cornwalls (type 1's) home this weekend. One of the tweeters is not working, but I knew that going into the deal.

I took the good tweeter and hooked it up to the non-working tweeter's crossover (to eliminate a crossover malfunction) and it worked fine.

Couldn't wait to call Klipsch and order the replacement for the K-77M. Came away confused because they only had diaphragms available for the K77-F which would work as a substitute for the K77M diaphragm. (on backorder). Both diaphragms were $117.00 each.

Here's the reason for the confusion.....

Searching for K-77 tweeters via Ebay led me to a fellow, Bob Crites, who would replace the diaphragm for me if I shipped the tweeter to him. Total cost of about $50 bucks (me shipping the tweeter there, his repairing and returning them.)

Am I missing something here?

I've searched the forums and found schematics for replacing the diaphragm myself, but would rather have someone who does this regularly handle the job.

I've found this forum to be a wealth of good info. Your input will be very much appreciated!

thanks,

Forrest1.gif

I would send them to Bob C. and have him replace the faulty diaphram, if you think the $117 is expensive for the tweeter kit, just hope that you don't blow a K-55V midrange then the kit cost doubles. You could buy a used pair of working K-77's or K-77M's for around $117 or a little more on eBay or other sites.

One thing I should add to the instructions is to take a piece of tape folded backwards onto itself a few times, to make it thick, pointy, and sticky on the outside, so you can run it around in the groove of the magnet to pick up any loose bits of metal. I had two or three slivers in my magnets which could have been what ate my diagphrams up in the first place.

----------------

On 9/2/2003 12:40:56 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

I got a set from Bob and they sound wonderful.

----------------

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I'm going to send it to Bob and let him do his thing with it. I was just baffled by the huge difference in prices. (not that I'm complaining about a $50.00 repair charge!! goodness that's inexpensive!).

Forrest

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 9/2/2003 9:17:10 PM Woodog wrote:

----------------

On 9/2/2003 12:40:56 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

I got a set from Bob and they sound wonderful.

----------------

Everyone, thanks for the advice. I'm going to send it to Bob and let him do his thing with it. I was just baffled by the huge difference in prices. (not that I'm complaining about a $50.00 repair charge!! goodness that's inexpensive!).

Forrest

----------------

I sent it off last Wednesday 9/3 and got it back today, 9/11. Took it home, installed it, and soaked in the wonderful sound.

Thanks Bob Crites, you do great work! I highly recommend this guy. Fast turnaround, reasonable price, well packed, the works.

thanks again!

forrest

It is very easy to do. Don't over psyche your self out of doing it. Unscrew it ...two solder places....pop the old one out..pop new one in ..solder...screws back to the magnet and horn itself.. pretty simple.. (very close to reality here)

I am surprised it was really this much from Klipsch. Are you sure you were asking just for the replacement diaphram... And not the whole tweeter?

BTW sometimes it is better to replace BOTH diaphrams to get a better matched sound..left and right channels.. FYI.

----------------

On 9/11/2003 11:58:37 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

It is very easy to do. Don't over psyche your self out of doing it. Unscrew it ...two solder places....pop the old one out..pop new one in ..solder...screws back to the magnet and horn itself.. pretty simple.. (very close to reality here)

I am surprised it was really this much from Klipsch. Are you sure you were asking just for the replacement diaphram... And not the whole tweeter?

BTW sometimes it is better to replace BOTH diaphrams to get a better matched sound..left and right channels.. FYI.

----------------

The quote was for a pair of diaphragms. One new tweeter would have cost around 200.00.

I saw pairs of alnico tweeters on ebay for much less than that.

at any rate, the repair's already done. I'm sure I could have done it myself, but the price was right and it felt right to have someone who does a lot of 'em do the repair.

They sound great now.

I let my son play his BAD BOYZ II soundtrack at high volume, and the percussion was nailing us to the wall.

I practised on the Roland RD-600 through them for a while after that, and then, later I listened to Rickie Lee Jone's 'POP! POP!' cd. Sweet, clear and well defined.

You should be overloaded on Cornwalls by now. :) How did the cornwalls from the movie screening room work out?