Klipsch Heaven

tillmbil

Wow, what a night. One of those were everything just comes together. Had my electronic engineer friend over last night to audition my new tube sound. He said tubes can't sound better and SS can not have a faster bass. Unless I am refferring to capacitor recharge rate, which I believe I am.

Right before he arrived I got the MX110 properly connected. Seems my tuner and TT problems were because I had the SACD hooked up to the Tape Head jack. When I switched it to the tape monitor everyhting magically worked.

We first auditioned "Eric Clapton Unpluggged" and "Joe Walsh" on SACD player through the MX110-Dynaco ST70-Cornwall 1979. THe guitar strings were so crystal clear.

I forgot to mention my friend also plays in a band. Next we switched out to the BK ST202 and were immediatley disappointed with the mudiness of the strings. Even the bass seemed to not have as much punch, although close. Highs were no where near as clear. He said "put the tube amp back in line" What a statement for a SS man.

After that we proceeded to run the line out of my computer into the aux of the MX110. Then switched over to my 305 song list on winamp and hit shuffle. 4 hours of pure bliss while playing pool. Also forgot to mention that the wife was out of town.

I did hear music like I have never before. The only thing I think was missing was the really loud earth shaking sound that I sometimes like. We measured a solid 100db (digital SPL meter) on the Dynaco ST70 for a good 20 mimnutes though.

What can I say, One of those nights we all enjoy so much. I was like a kid with a new toy and friend to appreciate it. One last note: Gary, how is that MC240 coming? I think I need more headroom. What do you think Dean?

Forgot to mention the TT. Kind of a let down. I don't know whether it was the used Kenwood 500 TT or the particular album, but the sound was lower and did not seem as impressive as when I was younger. To early to tell though.

Bill out

"The only thing I think was missing was the really loud earth shaking sound that I sometimes like. We measured a solid 100db (digital SPL meter) on the Dynaco ST70 for a good 20 minutes though."

Yikes -- maybe you need stacked Cornwalls.

"What can I say, One of those nights we all enjoy so much. I was like a kid with a new toy and friend to appreciate it."

Now, I think that pretty much says it all.

I think I need more headroom. What do you think Dean?

Absolutely, one can never have too much power with which to torment your SET neighbors down the street. OTOH, They might appreciate the supplemental bass you would be providing to their systems. KIDDING juusst KIDDING.

Man, I don't know what to tell you. Did the 100db sound good, or was it like the Cornwalls were being strangled back a little? Doubling your power would give you 3db of headroom compared to what you have now. If you had the ST-70 really opened up, you were probably going into some distortion, which would have had the top end sounding kind of pinchy, and the bass compressing. If you go to 60 or 70 watts, then you get a very clean 100db or so. That room must be a fairly good size.

The highs came in at 100db and the norm was 97 to 98. It was right on the edge of breaking up. No distortion noticed though, and very easy on the ears. We cranked the BK ST202 to 105db and boy that hurt, very bright. The friend has professional band equipment with Klipsch speakers. Don't know what they are called, so he likes loud.

I am hoping to get a little more volume on an MC240. The Dynaco will go nicely with the Heresey's I am about to win on E-BAy in 3 minutes. I will need to get the PAS3 rebuilt, Craig if you are around. Haven't sent it yet do to laziness. I think that will do nicely in the garage.

Have to go and see if I one the speaks. This would make 4 sets of Klipsch speakers. Do you think that is too many? Naa!!

No call yet Bill. I call tomorrow to see how he's progressing with the clean-up. If he doesn't come through for me, I may have one of my own on the market at some point. In the meantime, sounds like what you have is tolerable.2.gif

I'm glad you got all the bugs worked out with the 110.