300 people, a baptizm and a strange review (or 2)....

maxg

Been quite a weekend for me. We got the little one baptized on Saturday into the Greek Orthodox church.

We were going to have a small do - around 50 to 60 people - then SWMBO decided she wanted to invite a few more, then a few more. Finally we had the above mentioned 300 people both to the church and then to a Greek food blowout at a Cretan style taverna nearby.

Little one was a star - took it all with aplomb - and danced till about 2:30 in the wee hours.

Now all we have left is to write the thankyou notes for all the gifts. Heaven only knows how I am going to instill a sence of values into her - there are over 50 outfits alone! That, of course, doesnt even cover the toys, jewelry, picture frames and assorted other little girl accessories we have gathered. Right now I am typing amidst the larget collection of wrapping paper and bags I have personally ever seen.

Anyway after it was all over and things started to return to normal I got back to the old audiophile ways.

Thing is this. I have 2 friends who swear blind that the Denon 304 cartridge is way better than the clearaudio Virtuoso 2 that I picked up and are proposing I swap it out.

Now I have to say that so far I am impressed in parts with the Clearaudio but not necessarily overwhelmed with the whole.

Not having any experience of the Denon I decided to do a search for reviews on it online, just to get an impression.

That search didnt yield anything useful (maybe you know of a good review of it somewhere) but in my perusing I did come across reviews of the Clearaudio from http://www.ecoustics.com/Home/Home_Audio/Phono/Phono_Reviews/

There are 2 reviews there - one of my cartridge and one of the same thing but in wood.

Mine is here.

And the wood is here.

I read the wood first and decided immediately that this must be a better version of mine - the guy went nuts over it.

Then I read the review of my actual cartridge and the guy went even nutser (not a word but you know what I mean).

If you cant be bothered with the link his summary is:

The ClearAudio Virtuoso Mk II is very neutral and extremely musical. It offers a degree of inner detail and microdynamic shading Ive only found previously from moving coil designs. It is both engaging and truthful, not necessarily a forgone conclusion with a pricey cartridge. It is articulate and resolute without being clinical or etched. It offers remarkable extension at both frequency extremes and superb control over both. It is neither particularly forward nor recessed in its presentation. Most importantly, it offers a mastery of tonal balance unlike anything Ive ever before experienced under $2500. In short, the ClearAudio Virtuoso Mk II is one of the finest sounding cartridges Ive had the pleasure to hear, regardless of design or price. Highly recommended.

Say what??? Now this is not a bad cartridge - and maybe I havent allowed it enough time to run in and all that, but yea gods and little fishes are you sure?????

Yes - i will agree that it is probably a better cartridge overall than the Blue Point Special (although I think the bps kills it for rock) but hang on a moment - this is no Shelter 501 and I wouldnt even fancy it chances in a head to head with a Micro Benz at similar money...

Kinda makes me wonder about my obviously sub-standard ears....

Cheo????

Actually we are talking the full dunk in oil and water if you want to know about christening over here. Non of this namby pamby little splash on the head routine - the full monty (literally for the baby).

Not sure how they do it if you are older....

I have suggestion for Bruce Moore 70 review! Make sonic comparisons to parts of bible! IT would be difficult but very meaningful, as well as teaching lessons to the unwashed!

"Bass like thunder claps in 'John 1:13' when thy heathen was smite with bile and consumption and whatnot..."

Could this be the start of a new trend????

kh

"When the horns sounded the people shouted and at the sound of the trumpet, when the people gave a loud shout the wall collapsed." Joshua 6,20

"And from that day forth the lord said unto the people mix thee not horns with amps of state solid for it is an unholy sound that is too loud and unkempt for either heavens or earth.

Instead, take unto thy speakers the tubes of goodness and thine ears shall be spared. And he who is SET in his ways in doubly blessed." Kelly 14, 2

Of course other than that I havent got a clue what Kelly is talking about (nothing new there then).