Taming the KLF 20

onionrings

Your receiver is quite bright. I have heard that one. Or a similar version a couple of years ago.

In an SS amp you may find a sweet spot where it will sound good at one or a couple of power output levels.

My old Denon receier sounded good at only one spot with my Chorus IIs.

Many of us old timers on this forum use 5 watts or less. But really quality watts.

NOS Valves has an old Telefunken integrated tube amp I just gave him to check out.

It puts out only a little more than a watt. A little light in the low end but smooth.

Consider a vintage tube amp.

I cannot remember anyone regretting it.

my sony strda777ES imo,is one of the finest receivers EVER made.having said that, i would suggest(because there are similarities)that if your receiver,like mine,allows for bass/mid/high frequency eq'ing that you 'bump' the bass, and to a lesser degree(depending on your ROOM)the treble, the mids will receed. this has worked extremely well for me, as my klf-30's sound incredible in MY ht room, and i enjoy HIGH spl's!!

avman.

I find my Sony STR-DA5ES to sound absolutely horrible with anything but movies and music DVDs. 2-channel is out of the question. When we first hooked it up, replacing my old kenwood SS receiver and played something through 2-channel, my wife looked at me and said, "this is totally unacceptable." Just about all these HT receivers are great for movies, but you need other gear for music.

Just MHO of course, along with just about everyone else I've spoken to in the same situation. Not everyone agrees but most seem to. My 1976 kenwood SS blows away the sony in 2-channel mode.

That is one of the funniest posts I have ever read on these forums. Your wife has the panache of an executive warlord, i.e., a keeper. When my wife complained that the little Paradigms did not have enough sound for her to practice her flute, I jumped to agree and replaced them with some classic JBLs. This CAN be fun, can't it?

flynn-

what i was referring to is the eq section of his receiver should have similar adjustments available, and, if so,what worked for me.

i agree, imo, there isn't ANY comparable sony piece, other than the tae/tan 9000 pre/pro/amp combo they made the same year.

avman.

Danny,

I ordered the CV4 this weekend to run the highs and the Type 4s to run the low. I am definetly one of "those' who believe cables make a difference, especially after testing out MIT terminator 4s and the Monster Cable XP against the Type 4s with the Type 4s coming out the best sounding of the 3. I was just trying to save some money by going with the Monster Cable. Learned my lesson!2.gif