Advice needed......SET AMP for Cornwalls

Cuffclean

NOSValves laments: "You wouldn't believe how many times I've been messing around inside a amp and short to chassis blow the house fuse but the amps fuse didn't even respond ! When this happens I usually shut the shop down and say "time for a break too tired to be working"

This is not the kind of thing to post in full sunlight, knowhatimsayin? heh... Call me lucky if you will. This philosophy has been working for me for almost 20 years. That's a helluva string of luck.

kh

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/21/2003 11:27:21 AM Cuffclean wrote:

Hi Guys,

EICO HF-81 after re-tubing is sounding very sweet. Expect delivery of Audio Research SP 3A-1 Pre-Amplifier this week. Now the search is on for a 2a3 SET amp. Short list is:

1) Horus Silver 2a3 w/Magnequest Cobalt OPT

2) Moondogs 2a3 w/Mangequest Transformer

3) Welbourne DRD 2a3 w/tube rectification

4) McIntosh MC-30

Hoping to arrange a listening session for Horus and Moondogs soon. DRD consideration will be a leap of faith. The upgrade journey continues. TT & Vinyl on the horizon.

Stan

----------------

Amp no. 1 will be difficult to get in the stated option. i.e. MagneQuest cobalt transformer. The cobalts are all gone and I don't think MaqnQuest will wind these again. Mike Lafevre might be a bit shy at spitting the 20 000 in required mimimum order of cobalt laminations to run another batch.

I wish I still had a pair for myself. Look on eBay as these cobalt OPT sometime pop up there.

Kelly,

Unlike some people I do not try to profess myself as infallible ! I'm human and make mistakes when tired and or frustrated heck sometimes with no excuse at all 1.gif Anyone that works on electronics has blow fuses and caused fireworks under the chassis its inevitable anyone that say's he hasn't is full of it ! Heck I've been zapped on a number of occasions ! These things are bound to happen working on this stuff day in and day out.

Craig

Lordy Craigster, no need to get serious as I was mainly just giving you a bit of hard time in all good fun. You know I'm playing.

By the way Jeff, I finally found the damn schematic to this swine ASUSA amp! Mike LaFevre had actually sent me a ton of interesting schematics from his Japanese cohorts, stuff that you might find very interesting. In the middle of this pile was the forlorn ASUSA A-4 schematic... a swine amongst pearls! heh

kh

The Cobalt transformer he is referring to is not listed on the site (it's the larger 204 vers if I remember). I do think there are SOME Cobalt parafeed models still around but then again, that cobalt transformer page can fall behind in listings at times (I think those listed were already made). I should know...I made swine page and write that sad copy. Those were available a few months ago. I am getting ready to have a long conversation with the loon this week so I'll bug him.

Still, Cobalt, smobabalt. Give me the nice musical Magnequest air-gapped DS-025... About 1/3 the price and nice and Big! heh...

kh

ps - That ASUSA is over at my guitar amp friend's studio; we were messing with it last night. He is itching to hear it so I took advantage of the chowderhead's desires!

http://www.progressive-engineering.com/klipsch/asusa_a4.jpg

----------------

On 9/21/2003 12:27:44 PM Cuffclean wrote:

Hey Jeff,

On the Magnequest website, they indicate that Cobalt OPT's are still available. Perhaps, the issue is the particular model you used in your unit recently sold. Is that the issue? Then which Cobalt OPT should I look for on e-bay. Please advise. Thank you.

Stan

----------------

The MagneQuest webmaster is a pretty lame guy that never update the site since he waste most of his time on audio forums.

Cobalts EXO-35 or 36 required to build a cobalt Horus are no more according to Lafevre himself.

I wouldn't hold my breath too much for a cobalt EXO-36 on eBay. I think I saw them once or twice over the last 2 years. The EXO-45 (for a 45 tube) is more commonly seen (maybe 3 times in the last 2 years...).

----------------

On 9/21/2003 12:37:16 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I am getting ready to have a long conversation with the loon this week so I'll bug him.

Still, Cobalt, smobabalt. Give me the nice musical Magnequest air-gapped DS-025... About 1/3 the price and nice and Big! heh...

kh

----------------

I'd be surprised bugging him would work. The only way I see he'll have those made again will be if a manufacturer would take on him to order a big batch of these. Of course the manufacturer would most certainly ask for the exclusivity.

Nope... cobalts OPTs were there for a couple of years. These are now gone.

Kelly/Jeff......

In that you guys are in periodic communication with Mike from Magnequest, perhaps he might have available an extra Cobalt EXO-35, or 36 or the larger 204 ver OPT (whatever applicable).

Perhaps, he could make a custom version. At any rate, I was contemplating maybe piecemeal sourcing the parts (as budget allows) and then maybe Erik or Jeff, could consider the build so that all is concluded before Christmas. Possible???

Stan

----------------

On 9/21/2003 1:22:26 PM Cuffclean wrote:

Kelly/Jeff......

In that you guys are in periodic communication with Mike from Magnequest, perhaps he might have available an extra Cobalt EXO-35, or 36 or the larger 204 ver OPT (whatever applicable).

Perhaps, he could make a custom version. At any rate, I was contemplating maybe piecemeal sourcing the parts (as budget allows) and then maybe Erik or Jeff, could consider the build so that all is concluded before Christmas. Possible???

Stan

----------------

I did inquire to Mike Lafevre if he still had enough cobalt laminations to wind a pair of EXO-35 I would have kept for my old days... Answer was no... The problem is not that he doesn't want to build these. The problem is that he doesn't have the cobalt material to build these. Getting another batch of cobalt seems to worry him a bit since most wealthy DIYers already got a pair. Unless he gets Japan intersted, cobalt OPT are now part of audio history.

JF

P.S. I am definitively out of the "amp building on order" in my case.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 12:18:43 PM mobile homeless wrote:

By the way Jeff, I finally found the damn schematic to this swine ASUSA amp! Mike LaFevre had actually sent me a ton of interesting schematics from his Japanese cohorts, stuff that you might find very interesting. In the middle of this pile was the forlorn ASUSA A-4 schematic... a swine amongst pearls! heh

----------------

Scan and send ASAP.

Especially Atarashi's one. If there is a designer that might float your boat I think it's this gentleman. If I am not mistaken, the now classic 6SN7 in cascade driving the tube du jour (JELab, Moondog, Fi Classic 300B, 2A3 or 300B SET from Sun Audio, etc.) is an Atarashi design.

Speaking of books, I wish I could read japanese.

http://www.eifl.co.jp/index/export/book.htm

(Dodger if you land on an erotic Manga site, this mean this link was probably dangerous)

Jeff,

OK....if MQ EXO-35 Cobalt OPT's are no longer available and source material is scanty, then what alternative OPT is available tht would be sonically similiar or even superior in your Horus Silver 2a3 topology? How bout Tango or Tamura? What would be a step-up and mate well with your circuit? Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry to hear that you wouldn't consider building another unit. It was a possible thought that if you pursued another build for yourself that perhaps your current unit might come my way.

Stan

----------------

On 9/21/2003 2:08:53 PM Cuffclean wrote:

Jeff,

OK....if MQ EXO-35 Cobalt OPT's are no longer available and source material is scanty, then what alternative OPT is available tht would be sonically similiar or even superior in your Horus Silver 2a3 topology? How bout Tango or Tamura? What would be a step-up and mate well with your circuit? Any thoughts?

P.S. Sorry to hear that you wouldn't consider building another unit. It was a possible thought that if you pursued another build for yourself that perhaps your current unit might come my way.

Stan

----------------

Nothing can replace cobalt. Short of cobalt, permalloy EXO-35(36) is the next choice for a Horus.

All of my amps will eventually come for sale but I won't commit myself to build other amps on a custom order basis. Life is too short to build more than one time the same thing.

Craig,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I'm kinda not just looking for a "standard" OPT that will "do just fine". Seek something really special (excellant OPT, superior circuit topology, rare NOS tubes) a set-up that will hold me over for a few years so that I can soon transition and pursue a good analogue source - Thorens 125 or Linn TT...and then commence a vinyl collection.

Hi Jeff,

"Nothing can replace Cobalt", Hmmmmm......so for me to obtain the level I seek, guessing I just gotta be patient for the eventuality you speak of. Can I assume that your present inventory contains cobalt OPT's? Perhaps, moondogs or DRD's are an interim measure. Gosh, wish I could afford the Audio Note Japan - Ongako or Neiro and just be done with this poor man's dilemna. Drats!!! LOL

Stan

----------------

On 9/21/2003 2:35:58 PM Cuffclean wrote:

Hi Jeff,

"Nothing can replace Cobalt", Hmmmmm......so for me to obtain the level I seek, guessing I just gotta be patient for the eventuality you speak of. Can I assume that your present inventory contains cobalt OPT's? Perhaps, moondogs or DRD's are an interim measure. Gosh, wish I could afford the Audio Note Japan - Ongako or Neiro and just be done with this poor man's dilemna. Drats!!! LOL

Stan

----------------

There are many way to Rome. Cobalt OPT did it for me but that doesn't mean it is for everybody's taste. If you want to be patient it can be long. A Moondog would be e perfect in between compromise.

You can assume my inventory contains cobalt OPT but this assumption is, much to my chagrain, totally wrong. I wish I would have kept one pair for me but these are too costly to keep just in case. The EXO were 750 USD per pair while the TFA-2004 were 1200 USD per pair. We will probably fight on eBay for if a pair of EXO-35 or 36 comes up...