Advice needed......SET AMP for Cornwalls

Cuffclean

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 9/21/2003 3:36:27 PM NOSValves wrote:

So Jeff what special sonic signature did these cobalts impart over standard OP's from Magnaquest ?? Just curious just how much of a difference were talking about here ?

Craig

----------------

Cobalt lamination did make for a fast amp. I mean OTL fast... That's fast. Music jumps to life with cobalt like in no other transformers I've heard.

But there are none anymore (keyword here is "none"... none in the "we might have to look elsewhere" sense)

I think the cobalt solution works in parallel with the Parafeed implementation. I have heard both the MagneQuest DS-025 and MagneQuest TFA-204 and both are EXCELLENT transformers with the DS-025 being the transformer in the Moondogs when it received most of the accolades. Jeff will have his own answers. I heard the Parafeed Cobalt 300b solution. It is very detailed and alive but I would not have taken THAT version over my Moondogs. Then again, that wasnt one of his highpoints in that amp's development although it had gobs of detail. He would admit the same thing.

I will say that the MagneQuest DS-025 provides some of the most potent bass and extension I have heard from a 2A3 amp. Perhaps "Are Friends Electric" will chime in as he has heard my system several times. I think it's one of the best transformers around although everyone has his or her preferences. The TFA-204 has a GREAT midrange, on par with most things but I dont think its extension at higher volumes is as good. Still, that is nother great trans. The Cobalts are good but.....READ SIGN BIG AND STRONG: THERE are NO COBALT PARAFEEDS COMING FROM OLE MIKEY'S HANDS in the near future or perhaps beyond.

kh

ps- On a website front, there isnt anyone that updates a site faster when someone SUPPLIES THE INFO. Ask anyone. I have the changes up in minutes. I can toot my horn on this front. OF course, the key word is giving me INFO. I usually end up writing all the copy for the sites out from my own will. That DIY section of the MQ site was my own undertaking, free of charge. They would be NO HORUS ONLINE if I hadnt bugged a certain Quebec Froot to jot some notes down along with a schematic scrawl. The ole freak. Mikey handed my some schematics and prices. That rest had to come from my own skull.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 4:02:49 PM mobile homeless wrote:

I think the cobalt solution work in parallel with the Parafeed implementation. I have heard both the MagneQuest DS-025 and MagneQuest TFA-204 and both are EXCELLENT transformers with the DS-025 being the transformer in the Moondogs when it received most of the accolades. Jeff will have his own answers. I will say that the MagneQuest DS-025 provides some of the most potent bass and extention I have heard from a 2A3 amp. Perhaps "Are Friends Electric" will chime in as he has heard my system several times. I think it's one of the best transformers around although everyone has his or her preferences. The TFA-204 has a GREAT midrange, on par with most things but I dont think its extension at higher volumes is as good. Still, that is nother great trans.

kh

----------------

I'll second that. The DS-025 is an excellent OPT, designed for the 2A3. I've used may of these, allways with more than satisfactory results. Everything MagneQuest ever did was top notch.

The cobalt lams can only be used in parafeed applications. It would be pretty poor core in an airgapped OPT due to the DC current through the core.

Parafeed, which I like at least for a 2A3, have also strong "nay sayers" and are a total abolute no-go for most of the New York Triode Mafia (Ole Slagle, Moore, Reichert, Morrisson, etc.). So for a lot of guys, spending money on cobalt EXO series (which ain't possible anymore) is purely a loss of money.

I like the DS-025, that bottom end is visceral, it's very refined, too. I like the TFA-204, too for reasons stated. It's subjective at this point, posed the question to George a while back, here's his reply:

> The problem with the DS025 transformer is it doesn't sound

> as good as the TFA 204. I have tried a transformer designed

> by Sowter and it has merit, possibly a future upgrade.

> Thank you,

> George Wright

----------------

On 9/21/2003 4:41:18 PM Are Friends Electric wrote:

I like the DS-025, that bottom end is visceral, it's very refined, too. I like the TFA-204, too for reasons stated. It's subjective at this point, posed the question to George a while back, here's his reply:

> The problem with the DS025 transformer is it doesn't sound

> as good as the TFA 204. I have tried a transformer designed

> by Sowter and it has merit, possibly a future upgrade.

> Thank you,

> George Wright

----------------

Maybe the fact that his chassis are punched to accomodate the TFA-204 AND the fact that the DS-025 can't be retrofitted easily on his small chassis may have influenced his opinion.

I still scratch my head at this answer from George on a listening point of view.

Mike and George went back and forth on this many times. Lafevre thinks the DS-025 is a better transformer, regardless of price. George said the opposite. I think Jeff feels the same way as I do on it. I will say the TFA-204 has a great midrange but I do think it doenst have the depth of the bottom as the 025. Frankly, I am not so sure the ole DS-025 would fit very easily on ole George's chassis! The TFA-204 is almost a 1/3 smaller. But I will say it's a VERY sweet transformer.

kh

ps LORDY, just saw the post above...Lordy.... double trouble!

----------------

On 9/21/2003 5:06:55 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Mike and George went back and forth on this many times. Lafevre thinks the DS-025 is a better transformer, regardless of price. George said the opposite. I think Jeff feels the same way as I do on it. I will say the TFA-204 has a great midrange but I do think it doenst have the depth of the bottom as the 025. Frankly, I am not so sure the ole DS-025 would fit very easily on ole George's chassis! The TFA-204 is almost a 1/3 smaller. But I will say it's a VERY sweet transformer.

kh

----------------

The TFA-204 midrange is sweet indeed. But in my opinion, the DS-025 is above it totally.

I'm pretty sure, most of George opinion is more based on manufacturing issues. Which is totally understandable though.

Not sure how definitive the issue can be, the DS-025 costs more of course.. maybe the question should be, has anyone heard a 2A3 amp they didn't like..

Well I will have to be a fuddy duddy here and tell you with a most definite Yes I have heard a 2A3 that I did not like and its on the site you linked to above. I thought it was a amp for weak kneed girlie types with no balls what so ever ! In fact at this point I have never heard a 2A3 amp I like 2.gif But I haven't heard many yet ! The one Khornoff 45 based amp I've heard I even like less ! I sure hope when I finally do get to hear some Moondogs or Horus at length in my own system they are leaps and bounds above the SET I've heard so for.

Craig

Yes, as Craig says above, there is definitely someone who doesn't care for SET. I am another. Now maybe if you listen to music that doesn't have a wide dynamic range, is not complex, and listen at moderate levels in a small room, it will do the trick.

I've read lots about the magic of SET, but it simply doesn't cut it for me. Many listening conditions need more power than SET can deliver, and more capability to resolve complex passages better. What happens to the sound from SET when it is asked to do more than it was designed to do?

----------------

On 9/21/2003 6:47:18 PM paulparrot wrote:

Yes, as Craig says above, there is definitely someone who doesn't care for SET. I am another. Now maybe if you listen to music that doesn't have a wide dynamic range, is not complex, and listen at moderate levels in a small room, it will do the trick.

I've read lots about the magic of SET, but it simply doesn't cut it for me. Many listening conditions need more power than SET can deliver, and more capability to resolve complex passages better. What happens to the sound from SET when it is asked to do more than it was designed to do?

----------------

Here we are again with this SET vs Push Pull debate...

Yeah Paul,

Whatever you say...

I'm only listening to Norah Jones on my SET. Sometimes I feel wild and throw some Patricia Barber. I call Kelly in those time, we both headbang to Café Blue...

Boy I'm wild with my SET.

----------------

On 9/21/2003 6:28:02 PM NOSValves wrote:

Not sure how definitive the issue can be, the DS-025 costs more of course.. maybe the question should be, has anyone heard a 2A3 amp they didn't like..

Well I will have to be a fuddy duddy here and tell you with a most definite Yes I have heard a 2A3 that I did not like and its on the site you linked to above. I though it was a amp for weak kneed girlie types with no balls what so ever ! In fact at this point I have never heard a 2A3 amp I like
2.gif
But I haven't heard many yet ! The one Khornoff 45 based amp I've heard I even like less ! I sure hope when I finally do get to hear some Moondogs or Horus at length in my own system they a leaps and bounds above the SET I've heard so for.

Craig

----------------

I would be really impressed with a PP amp that have about 100 USD worth in parts too.

But yes, I've heard ONE 2A3 amp I didn't like. The Cary stereo 2A3 which is, in my book a painfully costly piece of a joke.

I don't't know what did cross DH's mind with this one. Overly sweet is still to dry to describe this amp.

SET as PP can sound like sh*t. On the other hand, a good design is a good design.

Jeff,

I don't remember mentioning push pull , wattage or anything of the sort. Someone asks if anyone heard a 2A3 amp they didn't like I stated I had and which one ! What is the big deal ? Offended the poor SET guys man get ahold of yourselves !

Your $100 worth of parts is one snobbish statement is I ever heard one !! How about you favorite Push pull amp that retailed at a whopping $69 and to this day has barely that worth of parts in it unless rebuilt? The cost of parts does not in anyway translate into the quality of the the end product. 90% of the high dollar audiophile parts cost nothing more to manufacture then the bargain basement parts the money is spent on pure marketing to get suckers to buy the stuff. If you want to believe the hype go for it.

Guy go off and play with yourself I'm sure no one else will !

You know you guys that get tired of people speaking there minds or opinions about the SET ought to think about us people that have to listen to your Bullsh!t Magical sound statements. Its a 2 way street here guys.

Craig

----------------

On 9/21/2003 7:20:39 PM DeanG wrote:

Did anyone ever manage to hear The Joplin?

----------------

I was curious enough to offer a local guy to build him the kit for free as I wanted to hear it, just for the kick. Seems the froot is as quick to take a decision as a webmaster friend of mine so he still hasn't bite. The window opportunity is now closed.