2nd request, Oiled Oak Quartets want to lighten them

alkemyst

Veneering is not as difficult as it may seem. I just veneered my circa '78 Heresies and the results were fantastic! Don't use the iron on type - it comes off to easily. The contact glue veneers work extremely well - I had both speakers done in about 2 hours. I used light oak and used Formby's Tung Oil to finish. The results are outstanding!

Check with your local lumber yard or paint store. There is a product that will bleach wood. I don't recall the name. To use it, just strip off old varnish with stripper, then use the bleach to take the stain out of the wood. When it's all gone and dried, re-stain then varnish.

If you mess it up, you were thinking about re-veneering anyway, right?

Dave9.gif

You can try Oxalic acid to lighten up the color somewhat, but probably not change it entirely. I used it extensively, 20 years ago for lighting up old cabinets/furniture. I also used bleach for major lightening but with varied results. Check out one of the new 2part bleaches.

http://www.furnitureknowledge.com/wood_toners_and_bleaches.htm

If it doesnt do a good enough job, you can then veneer over it. BTW, a new veneer is what Im doing to match LS and Heresys. Veneer will probably look better unless the wood on your speakers is prestine. Scratches/dents rarely lighten uniformally.

taylor

Sorry you had to make a second post. Usually someone steps up.

I have very little experience with oak. However, most people seem to like deeper, darker colors and wait for oak to, at least, become yellow. Like an oak tougue and groove floor.

I'm not too educated but if you absolutely need a very light color wood, it is usually achieved by bleaching or pickling. The latter being achieved by a white glaze. The other alternitive is to sand down to raw wood (dangerous in view of the thin veneer) and then seal it against oxygen with lacquer, which does not yellow, contrary to oils and doesn't optically tint the wood.

I've thought about the issue that our speakers look dark and tend to dominate a room and other pieces of furnature. I may make up some white slip covers of white speaker cloth. Parts Depot has this in bolts. It will take the use of a sewing machine, though the local tailor might assist.

For good or for bad, this cloth solution would make them look like an athletic sock over a Nike box. But if you put a piece of glass on top and there are some plants on top; maybe it would not be too kitchy. Wishful thinking.

Perhaps just a white grill cloth would be enough to knock down the visual impact?

Best,

Gil

• 3 weeks later...

Actually my Definitive Technology speakers were just like that a grille cloth 'sock' with piano laquer tops and bottoms....:) Worked good for a tall and skinny guy like my old BP20's but, for the short and fat Quartets probably look like Stay Puft the Marshmellow Man ;).

I am thinking of bleaching / pickling....I saw some that didn't look like the typical White Wash that was so popular with SouthWest styles 5 years ago or so....I may also do the Cane grille cloth first to see if that will effectively lighten it and be done.

What is the base wood for the Quartets?...I am assuming definitely not solid oak.

Veneering would be an option...I am not shy of that since I built a workstation recently for my 1 million books and laptop + PC (I work from a home office so my workarea is important)....just that many of these veneers don't come wide enough and are pricey :)

The workarea looks smaller than it actually is...that is a 19" monitor on a 30" deep desktop (about 5' wide + to 12" bookcases on each side, one is 6' tall and 48" deep the other almost 8' tall and 30" deep. That top shelf is 18" deep.)

post-12648-13819249123896_thumb.jpg

Gil,

Lacquers WILL yellow or darken over time, but the newer acrylic lacquers may be better at remaining stable. Look at older guitars by good companies and you will definitely notice the difference. Many companies put tints in the finish to make them look older when you buy them. Not to be deceptive, but because people like the look more. Having lived with the same guitar for 30 years, the finish has changed. I think my newer Taylor has also, but it is only about 11 years old.

Marvel

alkemyst, Search ebay for veneer there is always a good selection of woods, cuts and widths. Just make sure that you get at least 50% more than you think you'll need if not double, to account for mishaps and matching. Then go to a woodworking shop and get some Band-it edging. I used a good quality, high solids, contact cement from Lowe's and brushed it on. If you use raw veneer, coat it twice with the cement because it will absorb a great deal into the pores.

Sand and wash your speakers to remove wax and finger oils prior to applying the veneer.

After waiting 24hrs, sand the new veneeer with 180 then 220 grit paper. Finish with a hand rubbed poly finish (Lowes), rubbed with 00 steel wool between coats. They will be beautiful and your wife will reward you appropriatly.

Rick

I'm not too surprized I'm not correct. But am I totally wrong?

But on a general scale, doesn't lacquer impose less warmth to the wood than a varnish? That is what I'd read. The other issue may be the extent to which the underlying wood oxidizes and yellows. Cherry certainly turns rusty red because of it.

When I use varnish on birch, it does get warmer. On the other hand, I have a store bought table (a little rolling frame now used for a mini system). The wood looks very light and I'm pretty sure it just got a once over with lacquer at the factory. The result is much lighter and colder than the varnish on birch. Of course this is apples and oranges.

Perhaps our LaScala refinishers can give some observations.

Now that I think of it. I attended a seminar some years ago where the fellow was describing the use of the then new water borne clear finishes. One issue was that they did not bring any warmth to the wood, which people wanted. The suggested solution was to use some shellac first. So that is something to think about.

Best,

Gil

Gil,

This is what a lot of guitar makers do. There are water based lacquers, and water based tints to go with them. Many use a tint to make the finish look like it has aged. If I were to have one of my older guitars refinished, they would probably do that, as it doesn't look NEW. If they left out the tint, the spruce top would look almost white when I got it back.

You are right that the shellac would impart more of a glow to it.

Marvel