Near field monitor suggestions wanted.

Woodog

I play an electronic keyboard (a Roland RD-600) for my church, and use Cornwalls and Heresys as the main speaker system. It works out well.

Because of the location of the keys and mixing board I am not in the direct soundfield of the main system, and need a reference monitor.

I currently use a Peavey KB300, which is huge, and because of its size is placed behind me. I have also become disenchanted with its sound and would rather have smaller, near field monitors firing towards my face (from a distance of 2.5 feet) as opposed to the KB300 which fires at my back and seriously compromises what I hear.

I also want these to be powered speakers.

I'm considering Roland DS-30a monitors, which currently go for about 200 - 300 on the used market, but thought that some of you might have better choices.

I don't need a huge sound, just an accurate one.

Any ideas out there?

Forrest

wow, don't go with the roland...we use them at our church and it just sounds awful, and you can't turn them up very loud either. for keyboards, the only good monitoring system i've found are taller speaker cabinets.

sadly, i've not found anything "good" for near field monitoring of keyboards. I was just didn't wanna let someone get something they might not like. However, there is that chance that you might find that they sound amazing so try and listen before you make a final purchase. I would hate to make you dislike something before you tried it for yourself. I will recommend seeing how loud you can get them when testing...keep in mind that on stage, you need it cranked a lot more than in a relatively quiet store.

I wish I could provide an alternative...I'll be watching this post eagerly 1.gif It's no fun lugging around big speakers if/when there's a smaller alternative...

----------------

On 9/15/2003 8:22:22 PM DrWho wrote:

wow, don't go with the roland...we use them at our church and it just sounds awful, and you can't turn them up very loud either. for keyboards, the only good monitoring system i've found are taller speaker cabinets.

sadly, i've not found anything "good" for near field monitoring of keyboards. I was just didn't wanna let someone get something they might not like. However, there is that chance that you might find that they sound amazing so try and listen before you make a final purchase. I would hate to make you dislike something before you tried it for yourself. I will recommend seeing how loud you can get them when testing...keep in mind that on stage, you need it cranked a lot more than in a relatively quiet store.

I wish I could provide an alternative...I'll be watching this post eagerly
1.gif
It's no fun lugging around big speakers if/when there's a smaller alternative...

----------------

hmmmm... gonna check around now... but here's the thing.. I don't play the keyboards in an ensemble like a lot of 'praise' ensembles in the bigger churches. I've played on stage before in jazz, country, and electric ensembles, and on those increasingly rare occasions when I do gigs like that, I start with about 150 watts of power and speakers designed to handle those kinds of tansients. I know how to play the volume game with the likes of Fender Twins, Stratocasters, Sonor Drum kits, etc.

3.gif

I'm definitely not looking for loud in this context. Not even near loud. I just want something small that can sit on a shelf in front of the keyboard, about 2 to 3 feet from my ears (on either side), and act as a reference monitor with quality sound. Maybe promedia speakers would do the trick. I don't know. The keys are already running through the cornwalls and heresys. They are killer main speakers for the application I'm using them for. I do not (and will not) abuse them with volume, however. The room is not that large, maybe 1000 - 1300 ft2, and with a pair of cornwalls and a pair of heresys the sound is wonderfully clear and well dispersed at moderate volume levels for congregational singing and the solo pieces I play. Where I sit, though, out of the main soundfield, I can hear the mains, but not clearly. In addition, there's a honking subwoofer just to my right, making my personal soundstage even darker.

I get the feeling that some of the responses here have assumed that the keys are being used in ensemble work. they aren't. Seems like the Rolands fit the bill I'm looking for, but armed with this clearer (hopefully) description of the application, are there better choices in the 300 - 400 range for a pair?

thanks for the advice!

----------------

On 9/13/2003 4:53:21 PM kenratboy wrote:

Check this out:

Don't know if its any good (as in, as good as Roland, not as in it is junk, as it isn't), but it looks like a honest, hard-working monitor.

----------------

kenratboy, thanks.... this looks like what I might be after. I'll search them out and compare 'em.

forrest

well in that context they might not be as bad, lol. however, i still think they sound wierd (then again, it might be the keyboard that sounds wierd) 2.gif

currently i've got another keyboard with the same roland monitors and if you go that route, there's a cool way to mount the speakers onto your keyboard using velco 10.gif

----------------

On 9/16/2003 1:38:07 AM prodj101 wrote:

why aren't you interested in the mackie's at all? they're a damn fine pair of studio monitors.

----------------

Coinage... sounds like they are pricey (good stuff usually is) bummer that I don't have that much to put into it right now...

I am going to check them out, though. We have a dealer that sells mackie here in town, so I'll definitely audition them. Maybe if they sound that great I'll wait a while and save up.....

nah, I'd rather spend money on a tube amp at home for my cornwalls.

1.gif

but thanks for the input man!

forrest

----------------

On 9/16/2003 2:29:20 PM stan krajewski wrote:

A guy I work with who is really fussy about his equipment is very happy with the Event 20/20 "near field" monitors. I believe they are about $300 for a pair and $500 for an amplified pair.

In fact, I just asked him seconds ago he is totally satisfied with these.

----------------

Griffinator also suggested this line, but I'm so in the dark... haven't heard of them. I'll seek them out. The smaller size, in this case, the better.

thanks,

Forrest

----------------

On 9/16/2003 2:29:20 PM stan krajewski wrote:

A guy I work with who is really fussy about his equipment is very happy with the Event 20/20 "near field" monitors. I believe they are about $300 for a pair and $500 for an amplified pair.

In fact, I just asked him seconds ago he is totally satisfied with these.

----------------

Actually, the Event 20/20BAS (amplified model) sold for $800 a pair, but they are no longer in production.

Like I said - go with the PS/8's - more compact, tight sound, not quite as much bass (but then it doesn't sound like you're doing much with sub-frequency oscillators anyway) and very rugged.