Got to see something cool today!

skonopa

Earlier today, I was taking a walk along the river here in Fredericksburg. I encountered a film crew shooting some scenes for a Civil War documentary. It was quite fascinating to watch. Everything from the director barking orders to the actors going through thier lines (yes, they actually do say "Action!" and "Cut!" as well as have that little "clap-board" before each take).

I was talking with the producer asking about the scene being shot. They have historical accounts of how a small group of Union solders help three slaves escape across the river right at that veru spot, and the scene was a recreation of that event. I was even able to help out with some of the props, for example, that boat - being all wooden, is friggan heavy - it was not fun getting it back out of the river after they were done! Quite fascinating stuff - first time I got to see a complete shoot of a scene. The guys doing the shoot were very friendly and even explained to me how eveything worked. The complete documentary should be done around the summer time of next year (no, I am not in it).

Wow! That would have been very fun to take part in. How did you manage to get involved?

About a month ago Keanu Reeves (sp?) was about 2 blocks from my house shooting his new movie. I had known they were in the general area of the city, but was quit taken about when I went down to the local coffee shop where I get my cup of jo every morning on my way to work to see camera crews and what not. I asked the lady behind the counter what was going on, she said that they were shooting a sceen from Keanu's new movie...

I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO wanted to play hookie from work that day. Had I, I would have been able to get a picture taken with him and get his autograph because I guess he was being very freindly that day and was out and about with the towns peeps. Damn... I still want to kick myself for not staying home.

I am facinated with Hollywood, not the actors, but the production, filming, etc. There is a show called 'Lightning in a Bottle" on Discovery Times Channel and they talk about that stuff - awesome show.

I would DIE to know a upper-level person at a big movie house. Imagine sitting in on a 7.1 surround sound mix with $1,000,000+ of gear in the room 9.gif

----------------

On 9/15/2003 12:43:12 AM m00n wrote:

Wow! That would have been very fun to take part in. How did you manage to get involved?

----------------

I just simply walked up on them during one of my daily hikes through that area of the river. I just started chatting with some of the crew and asking questions. Very friendly group of people. Unfortunatly, nobody really famous, though, but was still fun to chat with some of the actors as well as with the film crew.

Here is an article about it in today's local paper.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 8:17:56 AM skonopa wrote:

Unfortunatly, nobody really famous, though, but was still fun to chat with some of the actors as well as with the film crew.

----------------

Yep I bet... Would have been very fun to be a part of it. Hey BTW, do you get to have your name in the credits for helping on the pros/set? 1.gif

We get alot of that up here... usually downtown and the old downtown, and it can be a pain in the a$$ as they block streets, take all the parking, etc... but you get to see how it's all done. Amazing on how much lighting they use for daytime outdoor scenes. A lot of people I know have crossed paths with known actors, but unfortunately I'm not star stuck enough to recognise one if they asked me for directions. 2.gif

Closest I got to being in a film was when I rented my car to be used in a TV film/documentary on a small time director. It was all done in the studio which I got to watch... very slow going, and I didn't know any of the actors. It's been almost a year, haven't seen the finished product yet, but my car was the focal point of the 2min scene... 9.gif

Later...

Rob

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:40:09 AM formica wrote:

Amazing on how much lighting they use for daytime outdoor scenes.

----------------

Yup, it's because film is all about exposure and contrast ratios. You could have a million 9K lights pouring down on someone and still have the scene look as black as outerspace if you adjusted the T-stops (aperture) and exposed the film stock correctly.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 10:40:09 AM formica wrote:

We get alot of that up here... usually downtown and the old downtown, and it can be a pain in the a$$ as they block streets, take all the parking, etc... but you get to see how it's all done. Amazing on how much lighting they use for daytime outdoor scenes. A lot of people I know have crossed paths with known actors, but unfortunately I'm not star stuck enough to recognise one if they asked me for directions.
2.gif

Closest I got to being in a film was when I rented my car to be used in a TV film/documentary on a small time director. It was all done in the studio which I got to watch... very slow going, and I didn't know any of the actors. It's been almost a year, haven't seen the finished product yet, but my car was the focal point of the 2min scene...
9.gif

Later...

Rob
----------------

What sort of car? I am surprised you didn't say in the post.

----------------

On 9/15/2003 4:36:03 PM kenratboy wrote:

What sort of car? I am surprised you didn't say in the post.

----------------

It's a ______________________________ (fill in blank with expensive exotic car of choice)... in mint condition. 2.gif

Actually it's a 1963 Acadian Beaumont Convertible which is actually a Canadian only version of the 1963 Chevy II Nova... they happen to need that model car... so they picked my name out of a old car club.

I have a weak spot for old rag-tops...

Rob

post-11489-1381924913774_thumb.jpg

FWIW

My town (High River Alberta) has been used many times in films:

Superman II and III

Finders Keepers

Dead Bang

In Cold Blood

and several others as well. As Skonopa mentioned it is an interesting process to watch.

Ted Danson and Mary Steenbergen were here a few months ago and Ted in particular was a hit with the locals because he was friendly and gracious in his contacts ( His company also left a nifty little gazebo behind at the church across the street from our house).