DVD Audio

tech rep

You boys can quote the stats and speculate the future all you want to.I bought a Denon DVD3300 DVD-Audio player several weeks ago and if you could hear even your old CD's on it you would throw out those old players.Oh yeah,paid $419.

Keith

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey keith, seen that new denon dvm-4800? looks like a good match for the new 4802 Biggrin.gif

around $1k though. i'll make that jump soon but need the 5 disk min.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Boa-

No, Richie is nowhere to be found on this remix. In fact, not even Roger Glover's fingerprints are on it. I saw Deep Purple two years ago (ELP was the opening act), and Steve Morse was the guitar player. The boys still rocked the house! It was a childhood dream come true, even without Richie.

Keith--Congrats on being one of the first to by DVD Audio. This time, I'm gonna chill for a while. Being the first on my block with the latest thing just hurts too much when you see the increases in features and performance, and the decreases in price that awaits those who wait...handlebar.gif

mr. b, thanks. yea guess richie went on w/ rainbow. sure he still gets some nice royalties from the earlier purple stuff.

on this new denon dvm-4800 dvd audio player, that's an interesting feature where it derives the sub output from the other 5 channels. so it has the standard 5.1 outputs. but what's next? 6.1 or 7.1, etc. output for dvd audio material? will we then need a player w/ 6.1, 7.1, etc., direct outputs? cwm20.gif

Yes I saw the 4800 boa.Looks like a nice player.I was interested in a DVD player and in upgrading my old CD player when I decided to buy the DVD3300.At the price it is a bargain,IMO.And like you Mr.B,I don't have to have the last thing that hit the street.Heck,I just recently retired my Pro-Logic receiver.This piece fit my needs and is of high quality.I really don't care about the DVD-Audio,except to maybe give the format a push.I don't care about Progressive Scan as I don't have a TV that can take advantage of PG.Simply,this piece filled my needs and is of high quality.And that is what I attempted to convey to the members here.The improvement in sound quality and ability to play DVD's was well worth my investment.I am really happy with it.

Keith

Good for you Keith. Well, it's really aggravating being in the "cutting edge" part of the hobby, because I bought my dvd player unwittingly, without fully investigating the current and emerging technologies and now I wish I had! I hear the progressive scan thing is gonna be cool, but maybe my dvd player will need replacing before I finally cough up the jack for an HDTV! Part of the problem too, is that so much of our hardware is computer chip driven, and the manufacturers simply flash new instructions into the chip, and Voila! It's a brand-new machine! They slap a different model number on a slightly different fascade, and call it a new model! In the (recent) past, we would have to wait several years for something new to arrive, because they would have to develop it from the ground up. Case in point is Denon, of which I own a receiver and a dvd player. They keep releasing units every couple of months, each one more feature packed than the one before it. At least with computer software, we can just install the upgrade!

My Denon DVD player had a lip sync problem that was well documented on the web. OK, what could it hurt? I'll take it in to be repaired; folks are saying Denon has a fix for it. I noticed the problem too, but it wasn't as dreadful as others made it out to be, but what the hell--it's under warranty!

I took my unit in on May 18, 2001. It was returned to me August 6, 2001. It had to be sent from the local repair shop to the Denon headquarters in California, because the local authorized service centers weren't "equipped" to handle the repair. When I FINALLY got it back, I read the repair order. It said that "software was reprogrammed and upgraded." That means a ROM chip was flashed. I do that to my computers all the time! What the hell is so hard about that? I bet they could have programmed the dvd audio and progressive scan features while they were at it! Grrr.. Well, thanks for letting me fume. Maybe I'll just go back to turntables and tube amps--and I know of a fine speaker to go with it!

I too was curious what the hullaballoo was all about so I purchased the Panasonic RP91 (Ecost for $471 delivered) at the same time as my Hitachi HDTV. I was really buying the machine for the DVD-A but was amazed at the picture quality with the Progressive Scan. I just watched the Five Star Collector version of Die Hard in THX and it blew me away! Picture and Sound! I only have the one DVD-Audio (Fleetwood Mac Rumors) and am still trying to figure out if I like it or not. I will say this however, my CD's sound a ton better on this player so I moved the CD player into my bedroom.

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Hitachi 43UWX10B HDTV (16:9)

Denon AVR-4800

Panasonic DVD-RP91K (Progressive Scan & DVD-Audio)

Dual CS-5000 Turntable w/Shure V15V-MR

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Monster M-500 Component Video cables

Monster Datalink 100 Digital Coaxial cables

Radio Shack Gold Series for all other audio interconnects

Bedroom

-------

Mitsubishi 31" TV

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Dual CS-721 Turntable w/B&O MMC2

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

For those of us like Ray who have a large investment in CDs (I also have a number of LPs), the solution I found and am very pleased with are the Perpetual Technologies P1A & P3As that turn a 16 bit 44,1Khz CD into a 24 bit 96k CD. They also provide great jitter reduction and great DAC. The P1A also has the capabilities of performing speaker correction and room acoustic correction digitally. Their future capabilities go up to 192k also.

HT-1 Klipsch Heritage System (music oriented)

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever changer is playing)

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Monster 5000 Power Center

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Sherwood HX-PRO dual cassette deck

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

Cables: Onix , MSB, Monster, AR., RS Gold

Monster Bi-wire speaker cables.(Khorns)

HT#2 Klipsch THX System (movie oriented)

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Monster 3000 Power Center

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD/ CD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)

RS Gold , Monster, AR Cables

mr. b, brings up an interesting point especially since i'm eyeing that new denon 4802 receiver. cwm19.gif

but i've always heard the denon are upgradable. fe why couldn't keith send/take his 3801 in & have 'em install

Prologic II? instead we get the 3802. does PL II really require more hard electronics like transistors & such? or is the 5800 the only upgradable denon?

still wouldn't be suprised to see a new 5802.

sorry to go off on a tangent w/ receivers, although same concept seems to apply.

NO prob, Boa, that's still the gist of what I'm griping about. I'm singling out Denon, but I'm sure they're all guilty of it. I really like my Denon gear too! I have no problem with it, but give us a break! Actually, I'm sure that it's not just a flash upgrade, but I bet it's nothing more complex than one or two parts inside, and a different faceplate. This is why I build my own computers! I know what's in the machine, and can swap and add parts as I desire. I wish we could do that with modern stereo electronics!

Oh, they're not claims dean.Fact,plain and simple.I don't think anyone has claimed that CD's WILL sound better on a DVD-Audio player.Just comments saying they do sound better.Just finished off about three hours of CD's and DVD's on the DVD3300 and heck,the sound is just amazing to me on my system.Best buy I've made since the Acurus.My wife even likes it!

Keith

It's my only vice Mr.B,so she puts up with it.Hey,she likes music too!I'm finished with the upgrading,for a while.Need to have a clearance sale! Just got the 3801/125X5/100X3/DVD3300/KSP system running good and boy is it sweet.After reading the KLF harshness post I appreciate the sound even more.Eagles HFO at -0 on the 3801 is sweet as pie.Gosh,it sounds better than I thought!Hate to go on like a school boy but hey,I love the good music!

Keith

Not using all those channels boa.Wanted to try but it became apparent early on that it wasn't necessary.In fact I haven't even gotten around to finishing adjustments.Every time I sit down with the manual in hand and start a little music,well you know what happens.Just for info I couldn't tell any of the "warmth" normally associated with Denon.Maybe the amp had something to do with that.The Acurus amps to me sound slightly "forward" in the mids,and along with the clean AudioQuest SideWinders the powered towers really shine.What about the 4802? Thinking seriously about it?

Keith

yea keith very seriously. in fact almost went & preordered the 4802 from crazyeddie for $1850. but want to go to the dealer & check it out & see, if it's a go, if they'd at least come down to $1900. wonder is crazzyeddie an authorized denon dealer?

right now i picked up another C7 from ubid for $295 total but my original C7 fell & got a few cracks & scratches. when the glue finishes drying on it, it'll go on the rear mantle above the fireplace between the rear cornwalls. keep finding more room for more speakers, it's amazing. cwm35.gif

but then i'll run that 30 ft strand of _____ Z cable under the floor to the marantz sr8000. unfortunately it has no connection nor decoding for 6.1 not to mention prologic II, nor adjustable crossover, nor component video... cwm30.gif

so out goes the marantz to the listening lounge, & the old sony de935 goes to the bedroom for sys #3.

so yea i'll need a new one as u can see. Smile.gif

the 4802 has every feature i will force my self to need

for at least a year. main question is audio quality w/

my speaks.

hear the movie houses & films are going more & more to dts-es 6.1 material. so should be more of that in future dvds & maybe even tv broadcast material. my main worry there is what happens if dolby comes out w/ a 6.1 channel format w/ a discrete rear center channel like dts-es 6.1 discrete? well worry about that later.

so anyway keith, what is your current or planned lineup

w/ that 3801? ksp400 mains, c6, s6 surrounds, & ksp400

rear surround? oh & sw-15 as LFE sub?

I, too, recently picked up a Denon DVD-3300 and I'm loving it. I needed another interlaced DVD player, and didn't mind paying a bit more for the DVD-A capability. I picked up the Big Phat Band DVD-A and I'm quite impressed, indeed. The only downside is that I payed considerably more than the smoking deal Keith got... Less than $200, wow!! Mine, from uBid, was a bit under $400, but that's still much less than anywhere else I'd seen.

Keith, where do you shop? Smile.gif

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

i dropped by the local denon dealer today. they had a lot of B&W & Martin Logan speakers all over. sounded kinda dull to me. especially for the $. Biggrin.gif still no denon 4802 receiver. what i really want is just a 4802 preamp (see post under HT).

anyway, spotted that dvd-3300 sitting there w/ a price of $1200. nice looking unit. why do i get the feeling

these guys won't budge much from msrp?

so great buys guys! cwm35.gif