DVD Audio

tech rep

Yeah,got tired of bidding and losing so I ran the price on up there! Still happy as heck with the player though.Got a new Technics DD/DTS receiver the other day

for $157 delivered from U-Bid.Drives the heck out of the KG5.5's in the bedroom.The sound seems a tad bright.Gonna try different interconnects.

Great buy there Ross.Thought about getting into the ceiling speaker mount business? Smile.gif

Keith

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tech reck you can get the Pioneer Elite 47A for under 800.00 and it playes both formats. DVD-A is an incredible format. I can definetly, hear a huge difference in many of the new releases compared to their CD counterparts. There are a few releases that don't sound much different but for the most part it's a tube like experience. When the media is done properly it's breath taking. The music is warm and extremely dynamic. I actually like my DVD-A cuts better then the SACD discs I have. SACD is also awesome but for some reason the DVD-A discs are my favorite. The 47A player has legato DACS which are excellent. The player has received great reviews. One hit was that the player is not as heavy as a boat anchor. Any engineer will tell you that it costs more to make a unit lighter and smaller. Weight means very little when a product is designed properly. I heard the argument that multi-channel music is unatural. Well how is stereo natural? I think we are just use to it. In my bedroom I have high ceilings and have Cornwalls with Heresy and the music is incredible in 5.1. Stereo is great too but I prefer to have the music sorround me from all sides. This is the ultimate in imaging and soundstage. I think that most people don't like change, don't have the bucks or room for all the speakers needed so they make excuses. Also, DVD-A and SACD can be down mixed to stereo if you don't have a 5 channel setup. Don't wait go run and get yourself into this new format. I guarantee that you will enjoy it. The only down side is the cost of the disks. One more gripe. SACD disks holders are the same as CD's which break easily and are hard to tell apart from regular CD's. DVD-A holders are larger and are improved over the regular jeweled cases. Too bad SOny got cheap here. Now I have to label everything so I don't confuse the formats. My other system doesn't do the hew formats.

------------------

Electronics:

Two" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nyonline.com/klipsch

Electronics:

Two

Sherbourn 5 channel, mono-block amplifiers. 200 watt bi-polar design. Very similar to the Bryston amp with more power and a much shorter warranty. Incredible reviews got me to buy this amp. I wanted mono-blocks for 5.1 listening and I can hear a huge difference over my old B&K AV5000II amp. The B&K was a great 2 channel amp but for 5 full range speakers it was not too good. I can hear sounds in the rears and fronts that I didn't hear before with the B&K. I really believe that 5 full range speakers require mono-blocks to perform correctly.

Two Newcaste preamps. These preamps are dark horses. They are dead silent and transparent with incredible bass, gain, and speaker settings. I also have a 6 channel pass through and a CD analog pass through.

One Pioneer Elite 47A DVD, SACD, DVD-A, MP3, player. I love the DACS on this player and am addicted to the new, high rez formats.

One Pioneer 414 DVD player. Great picture with OK audio.

One Denon DCD-1500 CD player. This was one of the first CD players to be produced.

VHS: Who cares!

Just got digital TV with on demand movies and programming. Most of the channels are in DD so I have really been using my 5.1 setup. Cables are Monster and AR and Dayton. I don't believe in spending big bucks on this. My setup is not ultra-high end but is on the cusp of it. You could spend thousands more but I doubt of you could get more then 10% better sound from the gear I have. I haven't heard tubes on my rigs yet so I better hold off on my last statement.

I am using a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. Tos-link and the 6 channel analog outs are hooked up to the Yamaha from the Pioneer.

So far, I like the Fleetwood Mac and Eagles DVD-a's the best.

The others I have are:

Foreigner DVD-a

Billy Joel 52nd street SACD

Journey greatest hits SACD

Toto Hydra SACD

Toto IV SACD

Paul McCartney & Wings Band On the Run dts 5.1

Alan Parsons I Robot (24/96 DAD Classic "master tape sound")

All of these recordings are a huge improvement over CD's to my ears. A lot of fun to listen to.

I hope they produce some Pink Floyd DVD-a or SACD's SOON!

Take care

Mike

Mike,

Go out and get Natalie Merchant (Tigerlilly)on DVD-A. Its one of the best mixed discs I have heard. I also really like her voice and her music is great. I have a lot of the discs you have to. I also have the Bangles, Billy Joel - The Stranger, America Homecoming, Cindy Laupner, and Boston. Cindy Laupner and the Bangels don't sound that much better then the CD version and is stereo to add insult to injury. Anway, can you reccomend any of the discs you have that I don't?

Thanks

Toto Hydra SACD

Toto IV SACD

Paul McCartney & Wings Band On the Run dts 5.1

Alan Parsons I Robot (24/96 DAD Classic "master tape sound")

------------------

My" TARGET=_blank>www.nyonline.com/klipsch

My

Klipsch Page

I just got the Alan Parsons in the mail yesterday, the sound on this one is really SMOOTH (Stereo 24/96). I am not one that can explain sound well...it sounds GOOD! The Paul McCartney DTS is good too. Those two Toto SACD's are good, but not great. I do like to turn the volume up pretty high on the music portion of 99...awesome. These ChorusII's love that! Definitely better than the CD.

I think they could have done better on the Journey SACD though.

I have a Natalie Merchant concert on DVD that I like a lot...so I am going to get Tigerlilly soon. So much to buy...so little money Ha!

If I run into any new releases that are exceptional, I'll let you know.

Later

Mike

As far as prices? I recently bought the Panasonic AU-60. Has every bell and whistle under the sun EXCEPT for progressive scan out (wich I can't use anyways). Price was $169.

DVD-Audio is fantastic. Stunning. Toggling back and forth between DTS and DVD-Audio has been an eye opener. Or an ear opener.

Title track of Hotel CA is my new reference point. This is the one I use to show off my system. I have heard none better. Can't wait for DSOM.

Anybody else heard that DVD-Audio has been agreed upon by several major labels as the format to utilize going forward? I think I heard that about a month ago.

------------------

Ed

OK - here's a question for you DVD-a experts. I just purchased Natalie Merchant Tigerlily on DVD-a, because this was one of my favorite CD's. My existing DVD-player does not have 6-channel output, so I listened to it in Dolby Digital format, and simultaneously played the CD so that I could toggle back and forth to compare sound. To my surprise, I like the 2-channel CD sound better - much clearer.

So - is the 2-channel sound better because I'm playing the dvd-a in DD5.1 format (not true dvd-a), or is it just this dvd-a (I've read marginal reviews on this one), or is it that my mains (SF-2's) are that much better than the rest of my system (SS-1's and SC-1) for music?

I am looking to ultimately upgrade to a DVD player that can handle dvd-a, but I don't want to invest the $$ if it doesn't sound ALOT better than what I'm hearing now.

Card....

IMHO, the answers to your 3 questions are yes, yes, yes, respectively.

Generally speaking rather than citing exception, IMHO, DD5.1 cannot hold a candle to DVD-A. DTS can come close when properly mixed.

I have found that much of the 'quality' of these new formats is sound engineer dependent. Additionally, I have also found that even though the mix is 'technically sound', the interpretation can be all wrong resulting in well....weirdness. Sounds coming at you from all the wrong places.

Another requirement appears to be the need for all 5 (or 6 or 7) speakers to match both tonally and efficiency wise. This is very critical due to the extensive use of center and surrounds.

All detractants aside, when these things are all done properly, the result is pure magic. The DVD-A Hotel CA is the finest example of this I have run across to date. On my setup, this has the effect of transcending mere 'listening' to 'sensation'. It is very thrilling and stays true to the original interpretation (as my ears hear it).

Finally, prices of DVD-A capable players have dropped dramatically. Only 6 months ago you'd have to pay at least $399 where nowadays you can score one for $150. I bought mine for the novelty. However, now to me every other format PALES in comparison especially in the department of musical immersion. Even if no new titles come out ever, to me it's worth twice what I paid just to be able to listen to the scant few titles I have over and over.

------------------

Ed

I'll have to say that the only experience with DVD-A was a dismal failure. I bought Fleetwood Mac's Rumors disk and there was definitley something missing. My machine (McIntosh MVP-841) was set to PCM (since I'm running only a two channel system) but the disk would cue up in 5.1 ONLY. The screen on the disk lists a PCM option but would not allow me to select it. So, yea, there was some of the signal missing. Bummer all to hell.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

Does anyone have any experience with the Toshiba SD-4700? I have a chance to buy this open item at Best Buy for $139. I read up on it at audio review but not too many people had anything good to say about the DVD Audio portion of this player.

I would appreciate any opinions you guys & girls could give.

Thanks,

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

tblasing - I too bought this DVD-A and had the same abysmal failure. I had gone the cheap route and purchased a DVD-Audio player off of e-pay for $100. Unbeknownst to me, the DVD-A part of this rather fine LOOKING unit was a no-op. I tried for about 2 weeks to get it to PCM mode. Fortunatly, a buddy had the exact same DVD player but his worked. Also fortunate was that the e-pay seller gave me a full refund, shipping included (phew-ee). Then I went and bought the Panny RA-60 (new) for $169 based upon reviews on Audioreview. Now everything worked so primo, words can hardly describe.

Just for giggles, I tossed the DVD-A disk into my non-DVD-A unit. Yup, sure enough, it gave a completely DIFFERENT menu, one that you could choose 'DD5.1 or DTS playlist' only (or something to that effect). Slapped it back into the DVD-A player and the menu had 'Surround Sound or Stereo Playlist'.

------------------

Ed

I have the Panasonic RP 91 and only one DVD A.

it is the Doobie Brothers "Captain and Me"

I really want to listen to it more critically. IT IS BETTER THAN CD BY FAR; whether it is 2 channel or surround. I have been real busy with family events during the past 2 months, I will isten more and give an update.

There was a recent interview by the head of Meridian in The Absolute Sound I think.

He though there was allot of flaws remastering tape to DVD A or SACD.

There was some kind of distortion he did not like from SACD.

It was the kind of article I need to read 4-5 times to understand.

Yes there should be outboard DACs for any format. Anyone who has used an MSB Link or better DAC with CDs knows the "all in one" concept of transport and decoder in one box can be improved significantly.

SACD is a Sony Phillips(big corporation) technology.

DVD A "seems" to be endorsed more by HIFI and music people.

Woo Hoo!!!

I just won a Panasonic DVD-RP-82 on ebay for $219 plus shipping.Biggrin.gif I can't wait to try out progressive scan on my TV. The DVD Audio will have to wait just a little bit, until I can afford a disc or two and all the extra cables. I think I might be in trouble here. The wife is pretty good about my "hobby" but in the past few weeks I have acquired a pair of Forte IIs and an Academy and now a new DVD player.

I better quit for a while.

Well, I'm happy and I'm out.

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

DVD-A and SACD are incredible formats when they are mixed properly. Most are but a few are just ok. The sound is clean, dynamic, and blows away 5.1, most DTS recordings and regular CD's. The sound is warm and very dynamic. I have bought about 10 disks of each new format, DVD-A and SACD. Both formats are incredible. You have to have a player that has gain controls, a preamp with a six channel pass through and 5 very good speakers. I'm running K-horns with Heresys. I really have a hard time listening to regular CD's. These new formats will breathe new life into your system. It is probably the most exciting invention to come our way in a long time. Scrape the dollars together and get the Pioneer Elite 47a. It plays both formats and has received raved reviews. I'm a big fan and love its bass mangement, easy to use screens and the sound all around.

Sony is a big player in the music business and they can support the SACD format with their own archives and new artists. So why not own both formats. I can't say enough about these new formats. It's definetely a !wow! experience. This weekend I'm hooking up a tube amp to my K-horns and I will down-mix a few high rez discs to see what tubes do to the sound. I can't imagine it getting any better. But who knows. If you have a DVD-A player I would like to suggest u get the new Corrs disc. It's unbelievable.

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com

This message has been edited by trader on 07-26-2002 at 10:23 PM

Hey trader...I just got the Natalie Merchant DVD-a from Digital Eyes.

Definitely another WINNER! Very WELL done!

Thanks for the tip on this one........

I sure like this DVD player a LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 07-26-2002 at 10:33 PM

Glad u liked it Mike. It's definetely a great disc to show off your system with. I had a question for u. When you buy a hybrid disc DVD-A/DD how do you tell the 47a to play one or the other. I noticed the player always defaults to the higher rez formats which is ok with me? Also, I couldn't get the player to downmix unless I put my preamp into stereo and then I wasn't sure if I was getting a downmix or not. There is a setting in the OSD for output : 2 channel, 5 channel, and a setting for downmix but for some reason with some discs this wasn't working for me? Could u try this out on your machine and see?

------------------

My Klipsch Page

www.nyonline.com

It's funny how this thread popped up again. Hard to believe the original post was from 18 months ago but I think it can be said that DVD-A and SACD are here to stay. At least for a little while. Smile.gif

I too have the Panny RP-91 and have quite a few DVD-A's. Here are some of my favorites:

Blue Man Group - Audio (this will definitely tax your system)

Steve Stevens - Flamenco a Go-Go (great DVD)

Pat Methany - Imaginary Day

Big Phat Band - Swingin' for the Fences

Bach - Organ Works (this will work your sub)

America - Homecoming (great album but maybe a bit much in the rears)

Eagles - Hotel California

Grateful Dead - American Beauty

Grateful Dead - Working Man's Dead

Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors

I have some others but these get the most airplay. I wouldn't mind getting the Dobbie's "Captain n' Me", Neil Young's "Live at Road Rock" and a few others. I like the DVD-A's a lot and with my ICBM, they sound very balanced and full.

They sound there best if you have full range speakers all the way around. Blue Man's "Audio" for example (and many others) send full range signals to the rears, where dipoles and WDST just aren't going to cut it (imho). With the right amplification and proper speaker placement, not too much will sound better...

Mike