Thorens TD 165

garymd

I spent yesterday setting up my 165 in my main listening room yesterday. It is sitting in my tv stand on a nice leveled sink thingy (I don't recall what brand but I'm sure it's a very nice one) that I may buy from another forum member who was over yesterday. I do believe it helped the sound and certainly helps when I'm walking around the room.

My question is:

How can I tell if the speed on the TT is correct. I've always had a strobe on my DD with speed adjustments. There are a couple lps that sound just a tad slow to me. Others sound fine. I know there's a way to test. I just don't know what it is. Thanks.

Also, on some lps the hole is too small to fit on the TT. I've been using a screwdriver very gently to increase the hole size slightly. I'm sure there's a better tool to use but this seems to be working ok and it's happening on LOTS of lps (mostly 70s era). Is this common?

***I spent yesterday setting up my 165 in my main listening room yesterday. It is sitting in my tv stand on a nice leveled sink thingy (I don't recall what brand but I'm sure it's a very nice one) that I may buy from another forum member who was over yesterday. I do believe it helped the sound and certainly helps when I'm walking around the room.

My question is:

How can I tell if the speed on the TT is correct. I've always had a strobe on my DD with speed adjustments. There are a couple lps that sound just a tad slow to me. Others sound fine. I know there's a way to test. I just don't know what it is.

Also, on some lps the hole is too small to fit on the TT. I've been using a screwdriver very gently to increase the hole size slightly. I'm sure there's a better tool to use but this seems to be working ok and it's happening on LOTS of lps (mostly 70s era). Is this common? Thanks.

Gary, I have a 4" strobe disk you can borrow, it fits over the spindle and you shine an AC light on it to create a strobe effect. Not many of my LPs had too-small holes, and I think I enlarged them by carving away with a table knife.

Thanks Larry. I'll borrow that when we get together after the storm.

I hope your house stays nice and dry. I'd be a little worried about all those big trees in your neighborhood. I always hear of giant oaks falling through peoples houses in your area when we have storms.

I really like the Townshend sink and I think it helps. Thanks for the loan. If the strobe shows the table to be slow, I'll have to figure out how to adjust (the belt supposedly is new). It's always something!

----------------

On 9/17/2003 1:13:43 PM garymd wrote:

Thanks Larry. I'll borrow that when we get together after the storm.

I hope your house stays nice and dry. I'd be a little worried about all those big trees in your neighborhood. I always hear of giant oaks falling through peoples houses in your area when we have storms.

I really like the Townshend sink and I think it helps. Thanks for the loan. If the strobe shows the table to be slow, I'll have to figure out how to adjust (the belt supposedly is new). It's always something!

----------------

You're very welcome. I like what they do, too. I just put potentially airborne yard items into the garage and banked soil around a leaky basement window -- I've never had 6"-10" of rain fall on my house and property!

Either the speed is really off or that disk I printed from Craig's site doesn't work for me. All I get is a blurred line, both on the 33 1/3 and 45. Maybe Larry will let me borrow his strobe next week when we get together.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the speed on a thorens 165? I haven't opened it up yet but can I assume there is an adjustment to the belt somewhere inside? Thanks for any help.

BTW - I made another lp killing at the library today. Someone dropped off a stack of mint lps including 4 James Taylor albums, 1 I've been searching for for quite a while (Mud Slide Slim). All in mint condition including the covers. The JTs might be reissues because they all have the nice Warner Bros plastic inserts (not sure they came with the originals). Also, ALL THE DAM HOLES ARE TOO SMALL! In the stack was also some Buffalo Springfield, Bread, The Byrds and, get this, a pretty nice copy of "The Partridge Family Album." I know I'll catch some slack for that but I had to get it. There were 17 in all. A good score for the day.

----------------

On 9/24/2003 9:05:10 PM garymd wrote:

Either the speed is really off or that disk I printed from Craig's site doesn't work for me. All I get is a blurred line, both on the 33 1/3 and 45. Maybe Larry will let me borrow his strobe next week when we get together.

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the speed on a thorens 165? I haven't opened it up yet but can I assume there is an adjustment to the belt somewhere inside? Thanks for any help.

BTW - I made another lp killing at the library today. Someone dropped off a stack of mint lps including 4 James Taylor albums, 1 I've been searching for for quite a while (Mud Slide Slim). All in mint condition including the covers. The JTs might be reissues because they all have the nice Warner Bros plastic inserts (not sure they came with the originals). Also, ALL THE DAM HOLES ARE TOO SMALL! In the stack was also some Buffalo Springfield, Bread, The Byrds and, get this, a pretty nice copy of "The Partridge Family Album." I know I'll catch some slack for that but I had to get it. There were 17 in all. A good score for the day.

----------------

Gary,

I'll be glad to loan you the disk, but I thought it and Craig's were equally easy to read.

The blurring makes me wonder -- is there a strong enough AC light on the strobe, especially in your sunny listening room? Do you have a fluorescent lamp, to maybe bring it out better?

I'd also wondered if it didn't have a speed irregularity, when you described it as "slow" earlier -- a variable speed is much easier to hear than a slow steady speed, and sometimes is mistaken for slow.

I think you should see the strobe effect of lines standing still (accurate speed) or drifting forward (fast) or backward (slow). I'd be surprised if it were that far off. Also, when/if you do see the steady lines, are they stable, or do they vary or drift at different rates, suggesting an unsteady speed? Does the motor seem to rotate smoothly and quietly?

I can't understand why the spindle is too large for that many LPs -- I had the problem in the past for a small number of London records, but it was definitely not the norm and wasn't the case for the library records I bought.

I went to the site Craig shared with us and printed the picture. I have a reasonably good HP 952C printer. I also have a Thorens TD-280 Mark III TT. It is very important to get the center hole in the center, so I used a ice pick to make the initial hole and slowly enlarged it until a center punch would fit and finished the job.

The result was fuzzy, but good enough to determine that both the 33 aqnd 45 speeds are correct with a little concentration on just one area.

Consumer scanners and printers are not perfect and any change in size and sharpeness can impact using this method, of coarse a real strobe sheet would be best, but it worked for me.

Thanks Craig and All,

Mike

I figured out why I couldn't see the strobe effect. As Larry explained to me, you need AC light. I was using a flashlight (bad).

Once I corrected my error the table tested fine. The speed is right on.

That begs the question:

Why is the matching JT cd so much faster than the lp? Is that what you all mean when you say a cd sounds compressed?

Gary-

Compression typically referred to here is dynamic range compression applied during recording and/or mastering. Not a bad thing if done properly for the genre.

What you are hearing is probably an error in digital mastering. A famous, analog example of this is Kind of Blue (Miles). In the original mastering process, a tape deck was running off speed. The result is that the ORIGINAL album is playing about a semitone sharp. "So What" is in AABA form, modal centers being D dorian and Eflat dorian. One can play the original LP in the same room as a piano (or whatever), and using speed adjustment on the TT, "tune" the record back to the original key and tempo.