Picture Quality

odwchris

What are the sources? CABLE, HDTV, DirecTV, DISHNET, DVD, VHS?

DO you own the AVIA DVD for setting up Home Theater? DO you have access to a THX dvd that has the THX setup menus..?

I suggest going through a proper Video setup preferably using AVIA.....but at least the AVIA dvd....

Once done your RPTV is set for proper picture per NTSC standards....the if pic stinks you need to check the source....

Also cable is notorious for crappy signals.....

HTH

If some channels are good and some are not, the problem is with the signal. Don't know what you are using as a source. If the source is cable, there may not be much you can do except make sure all the cabling from the demarc to the set is top quality. Cable companys typically compress the signal at least at some points in the chain to be able to cram as many channels they can in available bandwidth. Same goes for satellite. If the source is an OTA antenna, an appropriate outdoor antenna with preamp and maybe a rotor may help. But for best OTA TV reception, go digital. You will need a STB and the appropriate antenna setup, which is probably similar to what you need for analog TV.

I currently am just using standard cable TV. I was ready to go digital until my neighbor said his home theater speakers did not work with the digital. By looking at his set up it should work. He claims the cable company told him to just use his TV speakers. Any truth to that line?

Absolute nonsense. Putting it bluntly standard cable is horrible. However, no matter what you should be able to get sound out of their cable box into your receiver so that you do not have to just listen to the TV speakers - Yuk! They must have some real bozo's working for the cable company down there.

if you mix water w/regular unleaded,how well do you think your sportscar will run...now try racing fuel9.gif

you should start by setting the video to 'standard'.

then either use the thx setup for video from a dvd that has that, or better still use a calibration disc.

dump cable-go satellite2.gif

avman.

now you are talkin'racing fuel1.gif

be sure it is a HIGH DEFINITION box, not just digital!!!

if it is NOT a hd box, unless you get premium channels, a digital cable box will NOT help as the other regular channels are analog anyway.if you DO get premium channels, then wheather you get a digital or high definition box, use component video (if it is hd) or s or composite video (if it is a digital box)

most important-use the stereo l,r output for audio, and the digital audio out if available,providing you have a digital surr.sound receiver.

avman.

----------------

On 9/19/2003 7:25:56 AM odwchris wrote:

I currently am just using standard cable TV. I was ready to go digital until my neighbor said his home theater speakers did not work with the digital. By looking at his set up it should work. He claims the cable company told him to just use his TV speakers. Any truth to that line?

----------------

Not all cable audio signals are digital. My digital cable box has a digital coax connection for digital audio, but RCA/composite connections are also necessary to carry non-digital audio signals. So, both the digital coax and the RCA run to the receiver/pre-amp.

Since you are using cable it may be a good idea to get a line conditioner. Monster Cable makes great ones. People use them for a variety of reasons: use as a surge outlet, clear up dirty electricity to make music clearer, for another component for looks, helps take the humm out of the speakers when a ground loop is present caused by cable, and of course some even testify that there cable is clearer when they use one.