Which cables with the Khorns ?

Hel Guedj

• 4 weeks later...

I pride myself as someone with what I consider very good ears. I like, appreciate and listen to all kinds of music. I am a part time musician and have spent time in recording studios off and on my whole life. I was still only like 60% right at the Klipsch day when we tested 5 dollar lamp cord vs over 1000 dollar cables.. ( I may be on the generous side here too at 60%.)

I swore I would be the one to buck the trend. (Get a high score and have "bragging rights" of the group in Indy like oh Roger... he has great ears!!) I agree with others.. Go to your local hardware store get at least 12 guage cable and give it a try first. Live with it a few weeks / months. I really doubt you can, or will ever.... hear the difference!! The reason hardly no one will ever give you $2,000 dollar cables to take home and try for free (My guess without the talk yourself into it..because you spent big bucks you should hear big improvements...) I think if people were honest with themselves, they never would hear it in a "blind" test.

Look at it this way too. If you spent say $ 2,000 US dollars for this example on great high end super duper incredible cables... What else could you have enjoyed with spending 20 on cables and $ 1,980 dollars in your pocket..and some really good 12 guage wire instead? I think a lot more movies and music in your house to enjoy for years to come!!

I disagree with the "cables are cables" folks... you don't have to go with the thousands of dollars stuff, but do your ears and your equipment a favor: get some solid, factory terminated cables for your very expensive and sensitive speakers. If you can tell the difference (like myself), all the better. If you can't, big deal...

Anyway, I have found Kimber Kable and Klipsch seem to be a good combination... must be the "K's" or something. Don't waste your time on Monster... it's pretty overrated, and their terminations are crap.

Flame away, guys...

It's funny this thread showed up today. I have spend the better part of the last few days researching speaker cables. This topic has practically started wars on many forums. Since I have spent most of my money on my HT, I have decided to search for something reasonable. Also, I have not attended any of the blind tests and have no idea if I could or could not tell the difference.

I decided on some DIY cables. I looked at John Risch's cross connected Belden coax design and the Canare 4s11 bi-wire design. I did find quite a bit of technical information on those cables, but even that can be contradictory. I decided to go with the Canare 4s11 cable, dressed up with techflex and some good terminations. I ordered the materials last night. It will be interesting to see if there is any differance with those cables vs. what I am using now.

Good luck finding a cable that will satisfy your ears!

This should be a long thread.

Hi,

the only aspect I really noticed with cables over the years is the termination.

Plain copper wire of sufficient diameter performs perfectly but copper oxydates over time.

If you have a solid termination (screw type) the copper on the contact place remains ok untill you have to loosen the terminal.

You can avoud this problem by terminating the cable with spades - which are often coated with a thin layer or gold, which doesn't oxidate.

You can also opt for cables with 'oxygen free copper'

Both solutions are inexpensive.

Best regards ... Jef

• Like 1