Harmon Kardon Award 500 Integrated Amp

collins8

I just finished having this amp restored electronicaly and it sounds great.

I really want to have a Sott 299B restored and I am offering this amp at a great price. This amp has all the needed Caps replaced with Auricaps where needed and various resistors placed. It also has 4 brand new NOS matched 7355 pairs output tubes. The 12ax7's are all telefunken tubes. I have over $700 in it including 8 good used output tubes.

Craig at NOS valves finished her up for me and it sounds great. Craig made sure everything that was needed to be replaced was done!!

I may have 5 hours on it.

I will sale it and the 8 extra tubes for $450 and shipping will be around $20

If your interested e-mail me at:

collinz8@bellsouth.net

Rob

Just a little side-note here on the H/K A500 integrated amp. This amp was also available as the A50K, which was its kit version for the home-builder crowd. Many folks may not realize that the A50K and the A500 are one and the same. The A500 was the "big dog" in the Award Series line-up of the tubed INTEGRATED amplifiers offered in the late 1960's. It is quite a respectable little performer. My personal preference in the H/K line-up of tubed amps falls into the Citation II and Citation V models, though. Many folks don't have a good appreciation of the H/K tubed models...preferring the other brands that give more "color" to the music...BUT, one must remember that H/K made every attempt to produce amplifiers that gave NO "COLOR" to the original source music, preferring instead to provide an amplification source that had as flat a linear response as possible over a wide-frequency-range(much wider than the human range of hearing at both ends of the frequency spectrum)...so if "color" is what one is seeking in a tube set-up, H/K is not the way to go.

All this being said, one will end up with a nice little tube set-up for a pair of Klipsch "Heritage" speakers if one were to couple an H/K 500 with, say, a Dynaco FM-3 tuner, and throw in a nice turntable, etc.

This "color" commentary from HDBRBuilder is way out there... It's surely not my take on it and the heavy semantics of that word is really not applicable in my view, especially in the context here. I dont think the difference between some of the H/K tube stuff and other tube gear is the lack of "colored" sound. Not sure where he is getting this from.

kh

I can tell you one thing this amp gives way more "color to the music" now that I have tweaked it then it ever did from Harmon Kardon. Its now indeed is a great performer ! This unit has way more money spent on it then he is asking I can't believe someone hasn't snatched it up. I know there are no pictures but I can atest to it being in top notch shape electrically in fact everything that could be considered failure prone is replaced as in coupling caps and Electrolytes above and below the chassis But it still looks bone stock from above. Cosmetically speaking its in great shape also !

Heck the 12 - 7355 are near worth the price of the admission !

Craig

I just bought a rough Scott 299B I want to restore and my home decorator has said there is not room for two amps. If I had somwhere to use the HK I would keep it. I looked around and I feel like I am asking a very fair price. I knew when I sunk the $750 in the amp and the extra tubes, I could never get my money back. Some hobbies are expensive. Also I need the money to rebuild the scott.