Best speakers for $500

winner

What do you think the best speakers for $500 is? I realize I am at the klipsch forum but it doesn't have to be klipsch. I am looking at upgrading my hometheater/music room one item at a time and I'm starting with the front speakers and this is my budget. Right now I am looking at the NHT SuperTwo's and the Klipsch SF-1. I am looking at floor standing speakers only.

Thanks...now let me know you think!!!

http://www.nhthifi.com/nht/bedroom/supertwodisplayindex.html

Or you could get on Ebay and find a deal on a pair of Forte's, or Heresey's, or even RF-3's for around $500 and any of those would be better then the NHT's.

------------------

Home Theater System:

Klipsch Quartets - mains for both systems

Klipsch KV3 - center

Klipsch KG.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-1601

Music System:

Adcom GFA-555 Musical Concepts Modified

NAD 1600 Pre/Tuner

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JMON

how did you manage a score like that? what's your secret or is some classified operation?

------------------

Thanks J

KLF 30 Mains

C7 Center

8.5 rears

Yamaha RX-V995

Toshiba SD-1600 DVD

Pioneer CLD-S201 LD

Pioneer PD-M53 CD

Sony 32 inch TV

no subs till house built

• 1 month later...

Braggart! What an excellent score for $500 - Klipschorns?!?! My goodness.

In reality, you could find many nice used speaks for $500 as Myram suggested. Don't forget the beloved KG models, all of which can be had for under $500. I scored my 5.5s for $300 plus shipping. I felt that was an excellent buy. Lucky, too. Look local for the best price, as shipping will cost you dearly, and is risky.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

C'mon, Jmon, can't you and that Rabbit Avatar get together and reproduce some $500 K-horn deals... I'll take a pair! Great score... I hope you didn't leave incriminating pawprints. cwm34.gif HornEd

------------------

"A Klipsch Powered HT Where Legends Live!"

FOREGROUND SOUNDSTAGE:

KLF C7 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUNDSTAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 L&R Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra Sub w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Cornwall II Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-05-2001 at 01:32 PM

JTS8, I can tell you but then I'd have to.... well, ok ok. I found them advertised in the local paper. I was just lucky enough to be the first person to show up at the guys door with $500 in cash!

HornEd, I'll see what me and the rabbit can do. If it works out, and Khorns abound like rabbits, you'll get your share of $500 Khorns. Even at $500, me and the rabbit could get rich!

I thought I got a great deal, but then I heard later that DJK got his first set for $90! Someone else posted recently that they found some at an estate auction at a price that was too riduculous to post. There are deals out there, you just have to look for them.

Good Deal!

Okay, I paid $500 for my big old Cornwalls 15 years ago, think I overpaid? Smile.gif

I guess I can brag about getting a 19' sailboat and trailer for $100 instead

the best deal in speakers are big old horns sold cheap, the next best deal is used, the nest best deal is re-conditioned (lots of used speakers need new cones)

otherwise I would look at PSB Audio in Canada, depending the amp you are using

I am new here. I was able to pick up on a pair of Lascala's from a retired Air Force member for hold on to your sock $300.00. These speakers are 14 years old but look almost brand new. They have the birch wood finish and they sound excellent.

My System:

Lascala's fronts

SS-1 mids

KG-4 rears

Carver TFM-25 amp 250 watts per channel

adcom amp 60 watts per channel

carver CT-7 Pre amp/tuner

DBX 3BX dynamic range expander

Carver 5 disc cd

Sony professional series cd

------------------

Lascala's, kg-4's, ss-1's, pro-media 4's

"I thought I got a great deal, but then I heard later that DJK got his first set for $90!" Hmmmm, I said Klipschorn as in singular.It was a '53 vintage piece and stereo wasn't around.It also had a blown midrange driver.And at the time $90 was more than two weeks take-home pay.It was still a steal.

quote:

Originally posted by djk:

"I thought I got a great deal, but then I heard later that DJK got his first set for $90!" Hmmmm, I said Klipschorn as in singular.It was a '53 vintage piece and stereo wasn't around.It also had a blown midrange driver.And at the time $90 was more than two weeks take-home pay.It was still a steal.

djk: $90 for one k-horn is still a great deal. I think that still beats what I paid...