Receiver comparisions

Shiplemw1

hello all,

I've been looking at different receivers here lately to upgrade and then will most likely end up buying a new pair of the rf-3's in about a month-month in a half if I can wait that long (darn obsession with audio). My question is this, i'm not looking to spend over 700 dollars as I am a college student who wants to a have some money left over before the summer is out... anyway from what I can tell features wise I like the following receivers:

Denon - 2801 and 3801 - seems kinda pricey but...

onkyo - 676 - sounded metallic when i listened to it but it may have been the crappy circuit city showroom (probably was)

hk- avr-510 and 310, I've listened to both, I like the 510 more but...

outlaw audio 1050 - 6.1 for 500 bucks? anyone heard it?

marantz sr-7000 - nice musical receiver matches up well with rf-3;s

yamaha- model numbers unknown...

pioneer elite- kinda pricey and seem a bit overated

Ok here's the deal, I know looks shouldn't be important but I like the front panel of the hk avr510 the best, onkyo's look clumsy and out dated and denons look like they are from the early 90's, marantz reminds me of onkyo. Yamaha's remind me of denons' and the elite look a little bit sleeker than the denons'.

All of the receivers have god specks and I know all I have to do is get into a store and demo them but I was wondering if anyone had any opinoins on the receivers I've mentioned above. Sorry for the long post, thanks, mike

check out audioreview.com

also, all of the outlaw audio products i have seen are getting really good reviews.

as far as your other choices, i myself favor yamaha, but you need to stretch your budget about $300. i have the rx-v2095; the front panel is plain w/only two visible knobs and a flip down door that reveals multiple controls. if you don't mind used, look on ebay.

brian.

I have two Outlaw 1050 receivers - one I use with my Klipsch Heritage home theater (Klipschorns & LaScalas) and the other with the now discontinued Klipsch THX certified Home Theater System - Both are excellent - customer service is fantastic - they are fully guaranteed and the price has just dropped to $499. The quality is first class. Highly recommended.

I think the Outlaw 1050 looks like a great buy. You should get it. If it has weaknesses, I'd say the power supply is too small (power ratings fall with more channels driven), but you won't see that as a problem with Klipsch speakers, if you want to keep your hearing. The S/N ratio in the tuner section could be a little better, too. However, for $500, you can't touch it anywhere else, it seems. Go for it and save the $200 left over for books!

John

I have the onkyo 676. I don't know about the metallic thing, but that can have different reasons like the source component and the connection.

Mine is hooked up to a Pioneer DV-525 with a Coax-digital connection cable. rock on. Smile.gif

As I stated in another reply: check the volume control on all other receivers. klipsch are very efficient speakers!!

Onkyo 676 has an excellent digital speed sensitive volume control. Love it Smile.gif

It has also the DSP modes you need nothing more(some receivers have a lot of them you never use(like the sony's o boy)Smile.gif ).

Specially like the 5 ch stereo.

And Giga's of power. (to much for the RF-3's)Smile.gif

For the look's (out dated and clumsy): take a close look and think again!!!!!!!!!!! It looks just fine.

Al the buttons are on the right place. period.

I specialy Like the DOT-matrix display with its itallic characters Smile.gif. But that is just personal taste.

O almost forgotten: Cool back light remote control. You can learn it to control any equipment that use a remote control. With this receiver I use just one remote to control all my equipment. Like it!!

For the other receivers ... just compare it with what I stated here. In eather way Good Luck!

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

Hey all,

I've been looking at the specs and I've am really really looking forward to getting out and testing out some receivers. I'm gonna call my nearest klipsch dealer on tuesday and see if they carry denon also. I really like the features of the 2801. The hk units seem to be a little high priced for the features I'm getting, the yammies have a lot of dsps and I really like 70mm mode for movies (listened to it all year on a rx-v992 my ra owned). I also have a few questions, what is the deal with dolby pro-logic II? What benefits does it have or not have? I've been comparing the specs on the 676 and 696 and wondering what the deal is. Also how come the onkyo units (676 and 696) weigh like 29 lbs respectively while hk310 and 510 weight like 33-35 and the outlaw 1050 weighs like 40? Why the big weight drop from receiver to receiver? Anyone have any opinions on the denon 2801, onkyo 676, 696 or yammie rx-v 800? or any of the other receivers I mentioned in my original post? thanks

mike

The added weight of the Outlaw comes from the heavy duty parts used in its manufacture, They sell direct on the internet only ... no wholesaler, no retailer ,,,thus more bang for the buck .... be carefull with specs they can be VERY misleading ... see "The Complete Guide to High End Audio" by Robert Harley if you want to really understand specs!

hi mike,

About the pro-logicII.This is what I found : "Pro-Logic II demonstrated a realistic solution to bring old two-channel material into the surround age. Although not a discrete format, such as Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS, in which each channel goes though its own encoding/decoding process, Pro-logic II makes an effective use of matrixing to deliver an adequate 5.1 representation of a film or music soundtrack." I don't know if all that is true but just compare it. In eather way even with just the prologic, the "surround sound" is always dependent of the source, so is it with pro-logic II. What I mean is that what is in the source will come out of it, nothing more. Conclusion: go with Dolby Digital or DTS.

Secondly about the weight. The parts that are responsible for this are mainly the transformer and the heatsinks. So more power bigger transformer and bigger heatsinks. But the constructors can play with that. Some amplifier get hotter than others. why?? Conclusion: Don't mind the weight. You will get good quality with the receivers you mention. The only think you have to do is listen to it with your RF-3's. They will let you know if they like the receiver. Smile.gif

So did I and the Onkyo 676 was it for me.

By the way, be carefull with the volume control if you choose not to go with onkyo. The RF-3's are very efficient and therefor adjusting volume can be difficult. Or if there is a need to play background music.... See (hear) what the lowest sound output is with the RF-3's. (Don't be surprised Smile.gif )

Be aware that all this also depends on the output signal of the source.

Just don't think I never play loud, I do ....Smile.gif

Oh, just one thing: No HISSSSS with the onkyo here.

Check that one out to.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

I have the Yamaha RX-V1000 which is basically the little sister to the RX-V800 (better remote, second room audio and video, and pre-out for the 6th channel). I like the large range on the volume control. I goes in .05 dec. This alows you to fine tune the perfect volume for all occasions.

Ok all,

I think I've narrowed it down pricewise to the following receivers...

Denon 2801 or less

Harman Kardon - avr510 or less

Onkyo 696,676 or 595

Marantz sr-7000 still a bit pricey but......

Yamaha - uhh yeah, not sure yet

Outlaw 1050 - still in there but.. don't really want/need 6.1

I'll be demoing and trying out all the different receivers along with speaks. Thanks again for all the info and answers.

shipley

I personnally like the Denon. I used to sell Yamaha, Marantz and others, several years ago. Overall, I think the Denon is the most musical, accurate, no-nonsenese of the bunch. It makes my RF-3's "SING".cwm12.gif

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW-12: subwoofer

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

The HK510 has Logic7 cinema and music. The Logic7 surround was created by Lexicon (also owned by Harmon International) and it is very similar to the ProLogic II. I have the HK7000 and use the Logic7 cinema all the time for VHS and regular TV listening. The HK's have massive toroidial(sp?) transfers that wiegh a ton. The HK510 also has a 192/24 DAC for some really nice sound. 45 amps of current, need I say more. You can't go wrong with the list that you have though.

Good luck and happy listening!

JT