Best Klipsch for me

GOLDDOWN

Hello, i,am new to the home theater. what i'am asking for is some help and alot of it. I listen to klipsch speakers about 15 years ago and I knew they were what I wanted, but couldn't afford them. they were the klipschorns (WOW)!! So, what i'am asking is which klipsch to get?

I listen to alot of classic rock (led zep, aerosmith, boston, and old van halen) but I like blues and some of the newer rock. plus i love movies and want to get a good surround sound.

Here's what

i have right now. Yamaha RXV-1300, Toshiba SD-3109dvd, technics SL-P 900 CD player, Sony KV-35V68 and Cerwin Vegas AT-15 also I have a Carver M1.5t and a Yamaha C-80.

I don't have alot of money to spend on speakers. I'am willing to spend around $1200.00 on my front l/r channel new are used. From what I have read, I think I'am going to like the KLF-20 are the chourus II. However, I hear so many good things about the RF-7, RF-5,and RF-35. There's isn't a Klipsch dealer in my area so i have no idea what they sound like. I just remember 15 year ago how good Klipsch sounded.

Like I said, i'am new to the home theater. I have read alot of the post in this forum and i was like WOW there is alot of people here that know there stuff. So please if anybody can give me some ideas please do. Thank you 1.gif

RF-7, RF-5,and RF-35 are all very nice speakers. If you can aford it I think the RF-7's will put a smile on your face. Personally I would make a special trip to go and audition them as you could also be very happy with the RF-35's too. Even the older RF-3's and RF-3II's are great speakers and you might find a good deal so you can spend more cash on other components. Unless you live in a stadium any of the above mentioned speakers will blow your head off so out put should not be a concer but rather what sounds best to you. It's really kind of hard to screw this up because if you go for Reference or Heritage you will have a nice system. You may find you like one better than the other and it would suck to realize this after you make your purchase so take a road trip.

Goldown:

You really should take your time and listen to the Reference and Heritage series. My personal taste runs to the older heritage series. I have yet to hear anything that is better than my Belles or other Heritage series speakers anywhere near the price range. At one point I was going to sell my Belle's, but could not find any newer Klipsch that came even close to the sound I had become accustomed to.

Find someone that has some Heritage line in your area and take a listen. Then go listen to the newer lines and make an educated decision.

We are all partial to the gear we already own, so we are generally not the best of sources.

The Heritage line compared to the Reference series is more of the same Klipsch sound, only larger, flatter, deeper, better defined, more efficient in much larger, heavier, wood panel loudspeakers. The models of the big ole Heritage line are more similar than NOT. The bigger they are, the better they sound. Each successive model improves over the previous one. All of the Heritage models are wonderful for music, which means that they certainly can do great for movies, but they need sub-woofer support to get the movie theater boom so many people want with their home movie and music reproduction systems. The smaller Reference sseries make better speakers for HT, but only becuse they take up less room.

Colin:

Agreed. When I added my SVS sub to my system, I was amazed at the differance. BTW, the SVS integrated very well with my Belles. You can hear the differance when running AVIA's test disk through the frqency sweep. It becomes very obvious when the Belle's taper off and the sub continues to plug along.

Golddown,

First off welcome to the Forum-you'll find a wealth of info around here so stick around.

Judging from your Music tastes and current speakers you are along the lines of my music taste so I feel I am more than able to give you my opinion.

With that being said...

You Cerwin Vegas AT-15s are a highly efficent speaker (around 102db one watt/one meter if memory serves) just like the most Klipsch speakers so you really won't need a super powerful amp to drive.My X-girlfiend has a pair of AT-12s and I owned 4 Cerwin Vega 380SEs for 15 years so I know the CV sound.I also own two two seperate Yamaha systems (MX2000 & M-85) and have had some experience with a almost identical preamp to your C-80, a Yamaha C-85.

Any of the mentioned Klipsch speakers will have a different "signature" (read sound) than the CV and that may take some getting used to.Some claim that Klipsch are too harsh-they will make the Cvs sound like they're muffled as the Klipsch are very clear & crisp.

My best friend has a pair of KLF-20s and we did a side-by-side test in my home when I had my Cornwalls and they were much more alike than different-it really suprised both myself and my friend.

My Klipschorns now are much more different of a speaker than the Corns or KLFs-just much cleaner all around.

But...this will surprise some here,if you are a hard rocker I would lean more towards the Cornwalls/Chorus/KLF series than the Klipschorn-just a much harder "slam" on the lows that you are accustom to with your CVs.

There are certain cds (Van Halen 1 &2 being one of them) that just sound better on my older Cornwalls with their non-horn loaded bass.

It appears you are from Florida-I would see if a fellow member will let you audition their speakers and you can let your ears being the final say.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I just made a bid on Ebay for Rf-5. Now, i wish I would have read you reply first, since we have the same music taste (Van Halen 1, does it get any better for straight ROCK_N_ROLL.) For some reason I had told myself KLF-20, but have yet to hear them.. Yes I'am in florida, Destin. 50miles from Panama City, same from Pensacola. If there's anybody with some Klipsch some what near me PLEASE REPLY I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM.

Thanks again Jeff. thank you

Pete.