Klipsch Blackout?

PKuziel

AVS Fan wrote,

"Moving their Reference product off the floors of many chain audio stores, Klipsch may opt to only advertise or had reviewed those products they deem readily available to the consumer or the product Klipsch feels are best in class and readily available to the consumer.

The Reference line may be best in class, but how many people are willing to drive 50 to 200 miles to listen to a speaker."

I have to travel 43 miles to listen to the Klipsch Reference line. I purchased all of my my speakers (except the RB15's) localy from Tweeter Ect and got a great deal, because the line was being dropped. I don't know why the decision to drop the line was made, but if it was Klipsch, I can't blame them. The demonstration room they have is terrible! The floor standing speakers were beat up, no grills, woofers with dents in them, ect. I still purchase a lot of my equipment from Tweeters, but they should spend a little time and effort presenting the products properly. Just one example: I recently purchased a Denon DVD-2900 from them and had a question about the lack of bass on SACD/DVDA's. The salesman hadn't heard of any problems, so I asked if I could bring in a couple of SACD/DVDA's and show him the diffeence between the analog and digital bass output. I was told that they didn't have any subwoofers hooked up! Someone had stolen the cables from the demonstration room! How are you supposed to audition a speaker if you can't listen to it!

OK, my rant is over.

----------------

On 10/21/2003 7:04:36 PM Watchengineer wrote:

I don't know why the decision to drop the line was made, but if it was Klipsch, I can't blame them. The demonstration room they have is terrible! The floor standing speakers were beat up, no grills, woofers with dents in them, ect.

----------------

It seems Tweeter is a hit or miss, from all the stories I hear about them. The Tweeter here in Fredericksburg is actually quite nice. I had nothing but good luck with them, and the staff did seem to be very knowledgable. They were also big fans of Klipsch - the manager of the local store was downright pissed that Klipsch pulled out.

About having to drive 50 miles to listen to a speaker, well, I'd also have to drive that same 50 miles if I want to listen to B&W, Paradigm, JMLabs, etc, since there are no dealers around here that carries them. The only thing around here that carries anything that even resembles high-end is the Tweeter. I'd have to drive up into the D.C. area before I find the next closest dealer (Sound Images), and from what I have seen, they also seem to be pretty snooty up there. I'll admit that when I first went into Tweeter, I was a little apprensive (Is this going to be one of those snooty high-end audio places, or were they genuinely willing to help me out here? - fortunatly, it was the later.).

skonopa

I guess living in Rhode Island, where everything is close by, 43 miles seems like a million :)

I didn't want to come across like I din't like Tweeter. Like I said, I purchased just about al of my equipment there. The salesmen have been heplfull. But who ever is resposible for setting up the products for demonstration, in my opinion, could do a much better job. I usualy do a lot of research before I purchase a product, but I'm sure there a many who just walk in and depend on the service and set up of the store, to make their decision.

My problem is this:

Klipsch is a BIG company.

They sell LOTS of speakers.

They make TONS of cash.

They advertise in many magizines.

Klipsch should be able to send a pair of speakers to a magizine and tell em' to get to work. Car and Driver reviews Civic's and Camry's, along with the Enzo and Carrera GT, why? You review the real, normal cars for information, and the cool stuff to keep things interesting. Speaker magizines should be review Polk's, JBL,s' KLIPSCH, for the normal stuff, and then they can also do all the expensive stuff.

This would be like all the car magizines NEVER reviewing a Nissan/Infiniti, or nover reviewing a VW/Audi. You do a little bit of everything.

I don't understand.

Last year Sound and Vision magazine reviewed a complete Reference 7 line in the mag. Also in a subsequent issue, a question was asked to build the ultimate system if space and money were no issue and the mag recommended the Reference 7 package!!

Love my Klipsch!!

----------------

On 10/21/2003 12:08:56 PM BobG wrote:

Klipsch pursues reviews with some vigor. Check the November Home Theater mag for a review of the new RB-75 along with RC, RS-75 and RSW-15. Nice comments.

<...>

BTW, Klipsch is always willing to loan equipment to major magazines for review.

----------------

Might not be possible, but is there a way we can see who has speakers on loan? To give us an idea on where to expect some reviews?

----------------

On 10/2/2003 2:04:29 PM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

On 10/1/2003 9:05:09 AM elgrillo wrote:

Home Theatre magazine a while back reviewed the RF7 line and gave it a so so review. That is the only review as far as the reference line goes.

----------------

I remember reading this on their website. The RF-7 they reviewed was a much older model than the RF-7 now.

----------------

If this is the review I'm thinking of, the reviewer wrote somewhere in the article that he was not a big fan of the horn sound. I remember this only because I was mad that someone obviously biased against horns was doing a Klipsch review for a major rag.

I just got back from auditioning Klipsch against Paradigm at Sound and Cinema our local Atlanta dealer. The good news is I only had to drive 5 miles to hear Klipsch reference series, which blow the synergy series away and put the paradigms I listened to to shame. There is a big difference in the sensitivity! WOW! Klipsch sounds twice as loud as the paradigms and much clearer and crisper, I thought the sales guy turned the volume way up!

With respect to reviews, I work in the Industrial and Automotive industries and unless you advertise in the mags or publications, you simply do not get the press!

PWK thought very little of reviewers " We have been reluctant to submit samples "tested" in this or similiar "laboritories"." Paul wrote in "The Dope From Hope", Vol 12; No 1 after an reviewer panned one of his speakers. He would not let outsiders review his products, rather he issued a challange for others to come to Hope and witness their tests or to take their products to Hope for comparison. "Therefor we will do our own reviewing." he stated. Likely this ired "professional" reviewers and there have been few published reviews since.

Rick