tweaks

joshnich

Its officialI am out of control. Since I Got back into this audio thing I have laughed with abandon at the hocus pocus hooey that otherwise smart people spend outrageous sums of coin on! Unfortunately, I have discovered that the interconnects make a huge difference and even more unsettling is that cryogenically treated tubes sound about million times better to my ear than non cryo treated tubes! It pains me to no end to admit this, I have spend a great deal of time and effort laughing and making fun of audio salon sales people who sound like wine critics. I dont know what to do. Who can I make fun of now! ?

Seriously, the improved sound quality from a set of interconnects is astounding.

The background I bought a Wright phono stage from a local retailer who mods everything he sells. Yes the Wright cost a few hundred bucks more than it does from Wright directly but it sounds a few thousand dollars better. The difference is the tubes (cryo treated ) and the wiring this guys own recipe. Chris King (yes the forum member who people drool most over his speakers ) and I picked up the phono stage, and while we were there another customer was comparing interconnect cables on a system driven by big ol VTL mono blocks. The difference between the interconnects was astounding, substantial and shocking. The sound stage opened up the instruments came alive really quite amazing.

A pair of these interconnects came with my phono stage and I have rolled them through the system and everyone in the family (my wife, my 15 year old daughter, my 14 year old daughter and my 11 year old son) can blind test pick the new interconnects!!! I am saving up for another pair so I dont have to move these around.

Now the tubes. Does anyone else have experience with cryo tubes? The phono stage came with them. I have since rolled them with NOS teles and the difference is astonishing. Again I hate to admit this but its true! I have since replaced the KT 88s in my Cary with low quality Chinese tubes that have been cryoed and the improvement in sound is 10 fold!

Now I dont know what to do. Could it be that speaker wire stands make a difference? Well at least I have one thing to make fun of!

Josh

I remember folks in "Tweakers" asylum reporting putting CDP's in the freezer, and reporting improvements.

The same with CD's and Patch cords.

Hard to buy the above tweaks....

But I wouldn't think there was too snake oil factor here with Cryogenic freezing, but it is a spendy tweak.

Josh,

Since I've had some off BBS contact with you and respect where you are coming from, I can't easily dismiss what you are saying. You actually mean the cryo treated elcheapo chinese tubes sound better? Well I guess I'm curious enough to try it out, even if I feel like I've just been invited to go snipe hunting... 6.gif

Now which interconnects have you found to be so good? Also, how many denarii?

Dee