Car audio question. Which has more bang for buck?

m00n

So, my wifes birthday is right around the corner, she has strongly indicated that she would really like a car audio upgrade. Everything in her Misubishi is stock. So my question is, what would give the best bang for the buck as far as an upgrade goes? The deck or the speakers? I am going to stick to a $300.00 budget.

I welcome EVERYONE's opinions and or facts on this issue.

Thanks all.1.gif

If the budget is $300, you could also look into used...although I'm guessing for her birthday you don't want to buy used components. Funny, cause in cars the headunit/deck isn't nearly as important as the speakers. While there might be some difference from their built in-EQ's, all the headunit really provides is enough voltage - which sometimes might not be enough and that's when your audio installer might recommend something like an AudioControl analog EQ to give your system adequate power.

But then there's also the case of the amps...but that quickly ups the ante in terms of dough shelled out. My personal opinion is get better speakers. Not sure if you're aiming for a single pair or 2 pairs, but for around your range I would look into Alpine, Oz Audio, Boston Acoustics, Clarion, Nakamichi, and maybe Eclipse. I'd stay clear from Sony, Kenwood, Polk, Bose, or Rockford Fosgate.

For my own system I have 4 Boston Acoustics Pro Series 6.5 speakers, two 15inch aluminum Eclipse subs, 2 Scosche stiffening caps, two 1000-watt xtant amps, the EQ I mentioned above, and an Alpine LCD headunit. So personally, I can highly attest to Boston Acoustics and Eclipse.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Yeah I am an alpine fan myself. I have a CD/deck in my truck the cranks out 4x60 watts per channel. Not looking for an external sub or anything for her as I don't know just how interested she is, just either a good deck or good speakers. I am running infinity speakers also.

m00n something to be aware of. Most of the chrysler infinity systems use 2 ohm speakers. Upgrading the speakers is a nightmare, I am finding this out first hand.

also do you or have you considered satellite radio. if so this will ultimately play in on what deck you will purchase because there are 2 or 3 formats and support for the formats are deck dependent. Pioneer decks support XM radio while Kenwood support sirus and so on

there is a format war posting over at avsforum. Interesting reading.

----------------

On 10/6/2003 12:51:53 PM zandern wrote:

I found when I installed a new CD player in my F-150 it dramatically improved my sound from my speakers. It could go louder, clear, and an amazing increase in bass.

----------------

Yes, because stock headunits are terrible in sound reproduction, their laser pickup assembly is pretty cheap, they probably don't put out enough voltage, and the built in EQ's leave much to be desired.

So again, a headunit would provide some noticeable change, but upgrading speakers would be the true upgrade.

Regarding 2 ohm speakers...Bruinsme is probably right about chrysler infinity using them...but i don't think many automobiles do, so I don't think your wife's car will be a concern unless it is infact a chrysler. I think almost all car audio seperates run at 4 ohms. I know mine do, for one.

moon go for the speakers. Your wifes truck should have a decent head unit in it. I feel you will get the bigest bang for the buck with the speakers. I think you would have to spend all of the money on a new head unit and you wouldn't get much of an inprovement. Just my 2 cents, and I have installed tons of stereo stuff in cars being a auto tech.

I'd also lean towards the speakers... even though it's not a simple choice.

When you really think about it, it's somewhat of a crap shoot... depending which component is of pourer quality. I know the stock wizer cone speakers my car came with were pretty sad... but highly efficient. So you may end up with a decreased overall volume. The problem with this is that we tend to simply crank it a little more to compensate, which now pushes the head unit into clipping. Some stock head units are pretty good... and will still have power to spare.

Simplify, and go with the 12" she really wants... (i'm refering to SUB just for those who missed it) 2.gif

Rob

w0w, such varying opinions (NICE). I am kind of split on the idea based on my experience. A friend of mine recently upgraded his head unit and his system sounds mighty fine now, even with the cheapo stock speaks.

My experience says that you should get the head unit. I think that stock speakers are at least better than what you'll find in used cars from earlier 90's or lower. Since it is a 2001 I'd opt for the head unit. Maybe you can get one of those cool units where you can upload your pictures to be flashed on the unit.

If you opt for the speakers I give a major thumbs up to Infinity Reference Series. Wow. They won my heart and always kept up when I had my car system in high school. That combined with two 12 inch Kicker subs in a 1987 Jetta ruled! I couldn't hear the horrible exhaust and engine, I was enjoyin the tunes baby! BOOM BOOM BOOM 9.gif

m00n, Are you installing the componets (either unit or speakers )yourself? May sound dumb, but is there a local Car audio place, that you like? They may have some good feedback for you,and give you a deal on the installation. (assuming that you feel comfortable with them.). Good Luck!

I have 2x 10" Alpine Type R series in the back of my Altima GXE, with some dynomat mated to an Alpine 500w Digital amp. Very beautiful sounding bass, but deep all the same. I'm a big fan of Alpines stuff, when setup right anyhoo.

I find dual smaller setups offer the same kick your looking for, and still save room while keeping cost down. Course the R series and Digital amps from Alpine aren't cheap.

I have two cars with the follwing systems

1995 Honda Accord

Alpine CDA-9807

JL Audio 500/5

JL Audio 12W3v2

Boston Acoustic Pro 6.5

Boston Acoustic CX6 (These used to be in the Impala)

Lightning Audio Install Kit

QLogic Box

1996 Impala SS

Sony CDX 970 (I think that is the model number, not sure)

Sony Disc Changer (Broken)

MTX Thunder 5400X

Rockford Fosgate 12 inch woofers (model number??)

Boston Acoustic CX9

MB Quart Q.218

Custom Boxes

I can say the amplification and speakers make all the difference in car audio. I think all of my equipment is top notch stuff except for the disc changer. I will never buy another one. I've had two and they just keep breaking. I've also had several friends who keep breaking theirs. The Impala stereo is loud and has deep, warm bass. The Honda pounds the Impala into submission. It has more alot more power and the JL Audio stuff will shake the earth. It has tight, punchy bass but can also go very deep and LOUD. The Boston 6.5s will make your ears ring if you turn it up too loud. The MB Quarts sound less bright than the 6.5s but are still really great speakers.

I would put the money into the speakers or consider a small amplifier. Go with speaker separates if you can afford them. I've had some friends that hook up an amplifier to stock equipment and it sounds good. Not great but good enough for the wife or girlfriend. If you want some extra bass, I have an MTX 10" Stillwater woofer with factory enclosure for sale. There is nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to 2 12s. I'll give you a great deal but you'll have to pay postage. I'll ship it in the original box. Let me know if your interested.

FR

----------------

On 10/9/2003 11:48:47 AM FreeRadical wrote:

If you want some extra bass, I have an MTX 10" Stillwater woofer with factory enclosure for sale. There is nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to 2 12s. I'll give you a great deal but you'll have to pay postage. I'll ship it in the original box. Let me know if your interested.

FR

----------------

I appreciate the offer but I don't think she is too interested in putting a sepparate subwoofer in her car.

My wife wasn't thrilled about me putting a sub in the trunk of her car, either, at least until she heard it. But, it made a huge improvement overall because we pulled the low bass from the stock 5 1/4" speakers and the factory amp, which freed them up to do a better job with the rest of the audible spectrum. So, not only did we get nice tight bass (a 10" sub in a small sealed box), we got better sound all around!!

Kind of the same effects we talk about when you add a sub to your home audio system, eh?

DD