Analog sounding CD player

AnalOg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that you mention it...when it is cloudy I tend to hear more detail than when it is sunny...perhaps it has something to do with UV radiation clouding the laser pickup? oh well if I put a red lens over the CD window perhaps I can filter out the stray UV...hmmm...wonder what a red pen would sound like? LMAO in sunny el salvador! tony

If you have to try the pen thing a $ 1.49 black sharpie is all you should spend.

I have tried sanding the edges and applying sharpie to about 30 discs. Stopped doing it a year ago and have not missed it.

--------------------

www.virmode.com has some good ideas for jitter managment and reduction.

There is a review of the Ah! Tjoeb including upsample engine in this month's Stereophile....

The one device I've heard is Perpetual Technologies DAC, power supply and upsample engine. At $1100 used with Dan Wright Level 1 mod:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlconv&1070401993

I think this is my benchmark. I'd like a one box solution to sound better or cheaper. The high end SONY ModWright mods are supposed to be better but $2k. I've got other recommendations from this board....I don't know how to hear any of this stuff in my house without just buying it and selling off the loosers which is why I'm often slow to buy anything.

I recall Malletts A/B of the Rega Planet vs DAL CardDeluxe PC and the PC seemed to sound the same or better but then I read Kelly's comment about 24 hour warm-up and cables which probably weren't used in the A/B.

My local Rega dealer calls the original Planet "rolled off" and prefers the Planet 2000. Of course he sells the new one and not the old.

My friend just loaned me his Tjoeb4000 with upsampler. It sounds really good. I've got a high end studio quality Technics to compare it with.

It's funny because though I can hear some difference in the sound and smoothness between the two, it's more of the difference in the physical reaction that strikes me.

I feel very relaxed listening to the Tjoeb like I can just here for hours listening to it. There's no urge to rise from the chair and adjust anything or find another song to listen to. It's hard to describe - the Tjoeb is just plain listenable.

I'm listening to it on Forte's. You know how Klipsch horns can accentuate the highs and impart a sense of harshness? Well the Tjoeb cools them down noticeably. There's a sense of: this is how music is supposed to sound.

I was going back and forth between the Tjoeb and the Rega. I'm sure they're both close in terms of sound quality. Since the Rega is top opening and I need to put mine between shelves, I'll go with the Tjoeb. I don't feel I can really go wrong with it after hearing it in my own home.

-David

As a Tjoebs owner, I've enjoyed reading the posts on this thread. "just plain listenable" is pretty well said. I find it pretty difficult to articulate any kind of meaningful description. I was amazed at how much improvement the upsampler provided, after listening to stock for a couple of months.

I was skeptical of that, but there are some threads on this bbs that discuss in layman's terms why it does sound better.

There is sadly so much trash talk to sort out, like the "green pen" stuff. Even Tjoebs sells an optional accessory in the way of a rubber cd mat which covers the edges of the cd and provides the same function as the green pen plus some deadening potential.

The goofy stuff does make for cheap entertainment.... reading straight faced "audiophile" reviews on improving sound by getting speaker cable up off the floor, on little cable "piers" and such foolishness.

best regards,

Dee

Hey Dee,

I'm with ya on the Tjoeb player. It just draws you in anticipating the next track. I read the review in Stereophile, the reviewer describes the characteristics of player very well. He basically said for the money you can't buy a more "musical" player.

Tom

Yep, That has been perhaps the biggest surprise for me. I have found myself listening to album cuts I'd never had the patience to sit through before. Now I'm listening and thinking, wow, I never heard that before. There are even things I never even enjoyed that I've found myself listening and appreciating the instruments, recording, mix, etc. Amazing. Guess it helps with ADD.2.gif2.gif2.gif