Power conditioner opinions? Monster Power?

hornnuts

Larry:

No volume change was required. The differance is very noticeable. I may have bad balanced cables. They are supposed to be better and more resistant to noise. The funny thing is that I took off the $32 a piece balanced cables and put on some inexpensive RCA cables and the system was totally quiet.

The troubleshooting continues...but at least I know my system can be "quiet" with no source material playing.

My appreciation to all those who helped, and to Parasound tech support in particular.

I have been told by tech support that the balanced section has a 6dB gain over the unbalanced section...if I understood them correctly. I am not very knowlegeable about why the gain would be higher in the balanced section than in the unbalanced.

----------------

On 10/10/2003 3:40:38 PM mdeneen wrote:

Such hiss comes from output devices INHERENTLY and is generally not an induced noise, interference, radiation or line condition, thus not subject to effect by a power conditioner.

mdeneen

----------------

True, the hiss comes from output devices. But componenets are supposed to plugged into the line conditioner's as well, of which Monster provides audio or video filtering depending on the particular device. So they are in essence, subject to effect by a power conditioner.

LOL

Do you even understand what you just said?

The "noise" inherent with the output devices means the noise is part of what the amp normally does. It's something that is going on whether there is a line conditioner or not.

Now, if you are serious about this stuff, then you gotta go for the best. This sweetie can be had for a mere $6000.

http://www.soundapplication.com/

linestage.jpg

For those with a hum or hiss, try this experiment too. Take the Cable or satelite feed off from the back of the input...If it goes away.. BINGO, that is your culprit.

This 10 dollar fix from my local stereo store that in effect broke the ground loop in my cable signal... Eliminated all of the hiss / hum on my system.

Hope this helps you out!!

----------------

On 10/10/2003 10:42:08 PM DeanG wrote:

Do you even
understand
what you just said?

The "noise" inherent with the output devices means the noise is part of what the amp normally does. It's something that is going on whether there is a line conditioner or not.

----------------

If "output device" refers to an amp, then I am sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression that it referred to any device that output an audio signal, such as a dvd player or sacd player etc.

DeanG, it looks like the Mrs. couldn't keep you off this forum afterall.

Well actually you're right, everything in the chain is an "output device", but the amp takes all of this low level stuff and puts the juice to it -- so whatever is there, is "there". That is the point I was trying to make, this noise is already "there", and on the other side of the conditioner.

Did she actually ground me? Oh man, I'm in deep sh!te.