KHORNS 750.00 IN SAN FRANCISCO

louis

Dean,

I think the finish is flat black and not laquer. There's not enough depth for the finish to be laquer. But what do I know? I'll give Klipsch a yell on Monday.

3dzapper,

A few tweaks? I'm not a big tweaker, but what tweaks would you have in mind?

Klipsch out.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an inexpensive one with noticable results. The material is "rope caulk" availiable at Lowes etc for about $4.50 a box. You will need five or six boxes. This takes most of the resonance out of the K44 and K77.

Couple the corners well using pipe insulation, carpet runner or foam(as here) depending upon the squareness of your corners. This strengthens and tightens the bass tremendously.

Rewire the drivers with quality 14 or so cabling, including the wire within the bass bin. Make sure the bass bin door is sealed when you are done. You can use a bead of the rope caulk for this. Improves the attack of the bass. I found that the tinned original lead to the K-55 sounds better than heavier wire but the tweeter benefits with the larger conducter.

Remove the screw holding the plastic cover on the small coil in the crossover.

Those are inexpensive easy mods which all make a difference. Thanks to all the guys on the forum for posting them for me to use.

A bit more money but, building new A, AA, Or ALK crossovers to update those 30 year old caps and coils with modern components is warranted.

That should keep you busy for a while, between puttering and listening. Remember the listening is the most important part!

Hey BB are you taking notes?

Rick

post-12829-1381924975021_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Guy and Wolfam.

Rick,

Thanks for the tweak list. What I may or may not do;

Corners are "very" square, but I may add some foam.

These are '93 models with heavy gauge Monster wire.

Not likely to do rope caulk soon. Most listening is to accoustic Jazz at moderate levels.

No plastic cover on crossover.

Good possibility of eventually building AAs or using a pair of vintage oiled AA crossovers with new caps and coils. It's something I also considered for the Belles. Present crossovers are only 10 yrs old so no rush on this.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Klipsch out.

Dean,

The answer I get from Klipsch is, the FB in the SN is the encoding for the finish, which is Flat Black. No more mystery. When asked what would be the proper care for the finish, I was told to use guitar polish. For the present, I have picked up the Guardsman Furniture Cream as recommended by Wes, which several people in the cash register line said is a fantastic product.

Klipsch out.

You won't have to do the rope caulk mod as you have the plastic or resin K-401 midrange horn.

The rope caulk trick should be used on the older metal K-400 horns to reduce the ring. The newer K-401 horns have a lot of cross bracing that won't allow the ringing plus they are made out of a much more inert material, some sort of resin I guess.

jazman,

good score; don't be in a hurry to tweak. In fact, they should be fine for another twenty or thirty years w/o anything changed.

Room's a bit small, nearfield listening is great but larger space (20' or more) is necessary to get the bass notes fully realized. You should be at least 9' away from the speaker to get the proper mix of the various drivers.

When you find the sweet spot you'll be sitting there, naked, in the lotus position, till your wife drags you away....

----------------

On 10/29/2003 1:53:04 PM Randy Bey wrote:

jazman,

good score; don't be in a hurry to tweak. In fact, they should be fine for another twenty or thirty years w/o anything changed.

Room's a bit small, nearfield listening is great but larger space (20' or more) is necessary to get the bass notes fully realized. You should be at least 9' away from the speaker to get the proper mix of the various drivers.

When you find the sweet spot you'll be sitting there, naked, in the lotus position, till your wife drags you away....

----------------

Randy,

The photo is of the area in the room where everything is located. That alcove just happens to be the best location with two opposing corners. The room itself is over 27 ft long and almost 20 ft in width at broadest point, ceiling is over 18ft at highest point. The location of my seat was about 8'9" from centers of speakers, which is almost their distance on center from each other. In an earlier post I stated maybe I should move back a few inches, which goes along with your suggestion. It took months to find the optimum location for speakers and seat with the Belles. The corners will dictate speaker location in this case, so I'll be inching back a little at a time.

BTW, no wife, just wife wanna' be's.

Thanks for your advice.

Klipsch out.

PS.Before closing this, and because I'm at home today, I just moved my seat to 9'2" from speaker centers. I'm spinning the Joe Williams LP "In Good Company" Verve Polygram 837932-1, with guests Marlena Shaw, Shirley Horn, and the SUPERSAX Saxophone section, now Joe and female guests are dead center stage. Very, very good!

Inneresting....

you may actually see a bit of improvement bass horn wise, sort of a horn shape to the room itself.

The listening position to strive for is one where you are at the apex of a triangle described by your speakers and listening chair. The tweeters/squawkers will be pointed directly at you so the "beam" of the driver hits your head directly. I think that's an equilateral triangle, with two 45 degree bases (the speakers).

You'll know it when you hit it.