Cheap Mcintosh MA230 on eBay

Guy Landau

Amen to that it may best a 299 with some quality fresh parts installed but in there stock form I think they have a very bloated and overly tubey sound to them. I think a 299 done right whips a MAC readily and easily at least the MC240 that is !

Okay let the war begin

Edit

After reading the discription I bet a 299 would lay that unit in waste land easily and many other vintage all tube integrated amps would also !

The MA-230 is the red-headed-stepchild of the MAC family--a decent 7591 tube amp in the same box with a HORRID S/S preamp--one of the WORST sounding MAC products ever made!! The Scott 299 will dance CIRCLES around the MA-230 in EVERY SINGLE WAY you can imagine. And remember, I am a HUGE fan of McIntosh tube gear.

$300 is TOO MUCH if you plan on listening to this thing. YUCK!

The MA-230 has NOTHING in common with an MC-240 coupled with a C22 preamp! You really should listen to both the C22 MAC and the 7C Marantz preamps some time Craig--and I mean spend several days with each--you'd then realize that the 299 Scott is NOT the end-all in vintage tube gear!

Allan Songer,

I don't remember ever saying or ever leading anyone to believe on this forum or in person the a Scott 299 was the end all of vintage tube amps !! I do not except you implying that I have it is complete hogwash. I have always have and always will say they are incredible values and get you most of the way there and are reasonably price for the tube beginner nothing more and nothing less !!

Come on where do you get this stuff from ?? I don't even use a 299 anymore but could easily revert back without a second thought. By the same train of thought I think you have never heard a 299 rebuilt with top notch parts and really think you should give it a try for several days. You may find you would kick those MC to the curb ;) when considering the investment.

I have spent several days directly comparing the MC240 Stock to my Mark III's with the same preamp, Speakers and source and my Mark III's literally and I am not exaggerating Mop the floor with your MC 240 if you want to talk honest reproduction of music. Now if you want to talk BIG FAT PLUMP SOUND the MC wins hands down.

Craig

I don't have a McIntosh MC-240--I sold my last one a few months ago. I'm so happy for you that you love your Dynaco MKIIIs--they are better than most 6550/KT88 amps I have heard, I'll give you that and I'm sure when you stuff them full of all your up-to-the-minute mods they sing like banshees--especially with the CRAP you listen to!! BULLY for you!!

And remember, kiddo, I was buying, fixing and selling (giving away, really) Scott 222s and 299s more than TWNETY years before you even knew what they were . . . and wasn't I the person who told you to give them a try lo those many months ago? So stop being such an ***-wipe, get off your high horse and STOP lecturing me, because YOU don't have either the experience or knowledge to make any of your careless and clumsy admonitions ring true!

But I do love you, man . . . .

Allan,

I am really not sure what has happened to you lately. You really need to look at this entire thread and take it into consideration. If you were buying, fixing and selling Scotts and other for 20 years that is all good and fine. But I noticed you did not mention doing complete rebuilds with top quality parts. I'm not on a high horse in anyway shape or form. I just think you don't know what any of the vintage amps are truly capable of when massaged with some nice components and mods. I would venture to say you took the "fix what is broke" approach and left all the other nasty sounding components in place. This doesn't do the vintage piece justice in any way. I think the same can be said for the MC240 that I auditioned which is why I inserted STOCK in there when mentioning it ! I will soon find out how a MC240 will respond to some quality upgrades. I bet it will be very favorable. But I'm sure not a wise thing to do if collecting the pieces.

Craig

But still, If you put another $200 in that Mac, You still won't lose a dime when you wanna sell it, unlike Putting the extra money on a $300 Scott.

I did expect the very obvious," fresh parts installed " comment from Craig, though 2.gif .

More Hogwash from the Keyboard of Guy !!!

First off there have been a good number of Scott's traded back and forth on this forum ! The seller have for the most part always sold them and recouped there investment completely ! So you first point is silly and inaccurate !

I'm sure you have heard every inclination of vintage gear in there stock form and then when rebuilt with quality components. Yea Right !! So your smart *** remarks are once again just showing that you have some fetish against any member of this forum that happens to do work for some of the other members ! Grow Up Guy !

Sh!t your entire intention when starting this thread was a jab at me any way !

Craig

Yes, we'll soon find out what a 240 sounds like after a rebuild. This may be a first. My scott blows the 240 out of the water right now.

I purchased another 240 for a forum member a few days ago. Craig and I have been planning for a while to rebuild my 240 since I don't have a lot of $$$ invested in it. I ended up selling my 240 and kept the one with all lettering intact. The buyer (I'll let him chime in if he wants) is having the 240 sent directly to Craig for the rebuild.

We'll soon know what a 240 is cabable of after a NOSValves rebuild.

BTW - Anyone know how to clean a 240 without losing the lettering? It's got 100% of the lettering and I'd rather it be dirty then lose one single letter.

----------------

On 10/18/2003 8:01:39 AM NOSValves wrote:

But still, If you put another $200 in that Mac, You still won't lose a dime when you wanna sell it, unlike Putting the extra money on a $300 Scott.

I did expect the very obvious," fresh parts installed " comment from Craig, though
2.gif

More Hogwash from the Keyboard of Guy !!!

First off there have been a good number of Scott's traded back and forth on this forum ! The seller have for the most part always sold them and recouped there investment completely ! So you first point is silly and inaccurate !

I'm sure you have heard every inclination of vintage gear in there stock form and then when rebuilt with quality components. Yea Right !! So your smart *** remarks are once again just showing that you have some fetish against any member of this forum that happens to do work for some of the other members ! Grow Up Guy !

Sh!t your entire intention when starting this thread was a jab at me any way !

Craig

----------------

Craig,

It took you 13 hours to respond to my remark, I'm wowed.

Not everything here is directed at you, you are just being paranoid again 9.gif .

I saw something that looked like a bargain and thought that someone here might benefit from it. I never heared the MA230 and it might suck but heared a power amp built by my friend using MA230 transformers and it sounded very good. Anyhow, you have to agree that this one's worth more than the $300 BIN either for a collector, or someone that like its looks and want it for a second system, or for an experimenter who just wants the parts.

P.S

BTW, You don't have to respond to my threads.

Gary,

I think I told you about Wenol before, but if I didn't this is the stuff with which to clean the chrome on your 240. It is not abraisive at all and will leave the lettering intact.

http://www.wenolusa.com/

And I never ONCE made claims that any 40 year old amplifier will sound its best in its "as found" barn-fresh state. GIVE ME A BREAK!

----------------

On 10/18/2003 9:58:44 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Gary,

I think I told you about Winol before, but if I didn't this is the stuff with which to clean the chrome on your 240. It is not abraisive at all and will leave the lettering intact.

----------------

MX-110. I also tried it preamp-less. It didn't sound bad, just not as good. I do realize better tubes could make a huge difference.

Thanks for the Winol tip. If you gave me that one before I either couldn't find it or I don't remember. I have about 6 others chrome polishes I tried with limited success but I wasn't worried about lettering with the other amp. This is a whole different ballgame.

I find these threads very interesting so I'll add my two cents...

First off I have to admit that I dont know a capacitor from a capgun - and I have sold my fair share of great equipment without thinking. I used to own a pair of MC 30s that I used to drive a pair of cornwalls ( the cornwalls are now in the able hands of Chris King). No, I didnt have them rebuilt - in fact I bought them army surplus for 25 bucks each - checked the tubes and hooked them up. I did not have a " quality pre amp" at the time. I ran through the pre amp section of my Marantz 2245 receiver - that is until I could afford a 100 dollar NAD preamp.

Quite honestly the MC 30s and the cornwalls sounded wonderful Airy and very musical but I found I couldnt drive them at high volume with out them clipping and distorting - at least with demanding music. I switched to a Hafler solid state amp which sounded OK but it didnt clip. I sold the MC 30s at a garage sale ( I admited to being stupid) and continued to downsize.

Having gotten back into this hobby, and a proud owner of one of craigs 299s I can tell you that for my ears the 299 is as musical as the MC 30s but without the distortion and clippping that I encountered. My cary Rocket 88 R sounds even more like the Mc30s but with way more "punch" , way more head room and more realistic sound.

Again thats just the opinion of someone who knows nothing about this stuff from a technical standpoint. I just compare the way my instruments sound versus my system and go from there.

josh

We all make mistakes. I have a few in my basement right now. That's how we learn. Unfortunatly it can be expensive. Also, this forum is a great place to run things by others with more knowledge and hopefully help us to avoid blunders. Sometimes it works the other way when something is suggested but doesn't work for YOU.

I go by my ears also as I have little technical knowledge. It seems to be working pretty well lately. Trial and error.