SANTIGOS IN THE HOUSE!!!!

garymd

I finally got them in the house and I'm currently listening to them in my family room with the scott.

These are truely amazing speakers. So good in fact I can't give an opinion as yet to whether or not I like them better than the cornwalls. Bass is definitely deeper, highs crisper and more detailed. I can't say I prefer the mids though on the 2-way over the corns although I can't say anything bad about them.

Now I know what all the hype is about. If those aren't the original woofer baskets, they did an amazing job replacing them.

I got to go listen some more before my wife sees them. She's in the basement working and it's only a matter of time. Wish me luck. They're HUGE!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They're too damn short to hide behind! After a couple more familiar cuts (DSOTM), the bass is definitely deeper but you have to give them more juice for them to sound good then you do the more efficient corns. Not just more volume, but they have to be played louder.

Serial #s 3253 and 3274. Was it common for altecs not to be consecutive?

These are rock & roll speakers for sure. Time for some jazz. Let me go see how Miles & Cannonball sound.

I'll be back.

Gary, since the original woofers are gone the other guy might have gotten the better end of that deal in receiving the bose. 8.gif

Be careful buying replacement altec woofers! The drivers at the two links that guy posted are both going to need serious work. One had a hole in the cone and the other had "new surrounds" that looked like a 5 year old kid installed.

You're gonna spend $300+ for a ready to play pair of altec woofers. Post over on the altec board and maybe you'll get a member there who will sell you a pair that are ready to pop in and use.

Good luck with those. When the "newnesss" wears off for you and you actually A/B these against the CWs you're probably gonna have a very different opinion of them... I personally think that being the klipsch fan that you are ...these things will end up on ebay or audiogon in a couple weeks. My A-7's had the 511B horns coupled to the 80d drivers. The horns are just too "in your face". A klipch fan won't like them.

The boss has spoken. She is very impressed with my new acquisition (whew) but likes the sound of the corns better. I know it's early but I think I agree after some more listening. Actually "Autumn Leaves" from Miles/Adderly had amazing soundstaging I didn't hear so much with the corns. The snare seemed to be wider but less defined. The trumphet and sax sound incredible with that 18" altec horn. Chris Rhea's "Texas" was not nearly as impressive on the altecs as with the corns though.

Next step was giving her my game plan for rearranging the basement to include these mamoth beasts (you khorn owners are probably laughing at me). As always she told me I must be on drugs if I think I'm putting those in her office (our 13x24 finished area of the basement is where she works). And, as always I told her to give me a day of rearranging and if she doesn't approve, I'll sell them. I rarely sell anything so I think I'm in the clear.

Now I just need to take off the front and see if I have altec woofer baskets.

Thanks for taking the time to read my babblings if you got this far. Still loyal to klipsch in my main system but these are certainly replacing the heresys.

Busa,

Those BO$E go for $250 or so on ebay and my sub had a couple dings. I don't think he got the better deal (plus he threw in a space heater!lol). I could get more for the horns alone then the BO$E. Besides, they're staying for a while at least. I'm not one to part things out for profit. If I don't need them, I'll make sure a friend or relative who does gets a good deal.

A pair of Altec horns and drivers go for about $250 on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3052397832&category=32861

Most of the time you can't even give a big speaker cabinet away on ebay or elsewhere. I've got a nice pair of Altec Malibu cabinets in my shed. They've been there for a year. I can't bear to throw them out but ebay has spoken and that's what I should have done with them long ago.

That other guy wasn't the chump you made him out to be. 9.gif IMO, your trade was an even trade at best.

It's all at how you look at it. I wanted these for my listening pleasure. The BO$E were in a box under my house. Money isn't everything. He wasn't a chump, just needed small speakers for his apartment.

BTW - My wife just helped me carry them into the basement where tomorrow they will replace the heresys. I will get a lot of use out of these cheapo speakers.

P.S. The Malibus aren't in the same class as the valencias or santiagos. No horn if I remember correctly.

The malibus are the same exact speaker as the Carmels. The malibus were vertical and the Carmels were horizontal. They have two 12" 414Z woofers and an 811b horn with an 806 driver. All the Altecs of that vintage are "in the same class". Most of them use the exact same drivers. They just put them in all different types of cabinets giving the effect of having many different models.

I must be mistaken then. I'll have to go back and look at that sheet Guy linked me to. I know there was one pair of smaller speakers that had a cone tweeter. Either way, I'm pretty pleased with the sound of these. They certainly blow away the heresys and obviously the BO$E can't touch them.

Tomorrow I'll see if I have the altec baskets. I noticed the bottom half of the motor board has screws. Is that how to access the inside? Also, the gain control on the rear of the speaker has a touch of static when you turn it. Contact cleaner?

That's one I don't own. I had no idea how good these speakers would sound. I can't wait to get them set up properly tomorrow. I assume you got my message? Thanks again for the offer. It was quite a sight when my wife was helping me carry them downstairs. I almost dropped one of them I was laughing so hard.9.gif

Gary, There is a klipsch-like following of Altecs. A quick trip to their forum and you'll understand. Don't dare say you don't like the sound of a vintage Altec there though! I did and got run off!

The malibus had screwed on backs just like a cornwall. They were easy to remove. The 801N crossover is a sealed unit. It has spot welds holding its case together. MIne had slight scratchiness too but once in a certain spot they were quiet ...so I didn't spray anything in there.

I found a couple pics of the malibus. Nice looking speakers ...those old Altecs are.

P5060009.JPG

5.jpg

0.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

post-7446-1381924980488_thumb.jpg

I've signed on Guy but I'm not able to post yet. Just took off the woofers to find they are indeed NOT the originals. The speakers still sound great though and I'll wait until I catch up with my friend who has a basement full of altec to see if he can help me out. I'm pretty sure he's a member on their forum too.