Blowing in From Chicago

Allan Songer

Pulled this one out last night--Blue Note 1549, Clifford Jordan and John Gilmore on tenor with Art Blakey on drums, Curley Russell on bass and Horace Silver on piano! This was one of the very rare times John Gilmore ventured out of the Sun Ra band to record--the others I can think of are with Art Blakey on Limelight in 1965 and with Andrew Hill on Blue Note the next year. Gilmore is one of the greatest tenor saxophonists ever and it's such a shame that few had the chance to hear him. I used to go hear Sun Ra whenever I could, not only for "THE SHOW," but also to hear Gilmore blow.

Gilmore joined Sun Ra in about 1953 and stayed for over 40 years! "Blowing in From Chicago" was recorded in 1957 and this is one of my favorite two-tenor dates--you've got a rythym section from hell and two SMOKING horns--Gilmore being a bit more aggressive and hard edged. Jordan and Gilmore had been playing together on and off for years (since high school) and it shows--this might be a loose blowing session, but the two horns are TIGHT, even in the ensemble sections. I rank this one up there with the best of the Stitt-Ammons and Griffin-Davis recordings.

I have noticed on ebay that this one has been recently reissued on vinyl and it's a no-brainer! A mint original is a $1000 record, but you can get one of these reissues for about $12. If you like hard-swinging hard-bop, go for it!

Allan,

I have to give a hardy second on the playing of John Gilmore. I have seen and heard Sun Ra's Inter Galactic Orchestra so many times. Yes folks, you have to SEE and HEAR a Sun Ra performance, though it may not be everyones cup of tea.

I will be looking for the reissue.

Klipsch out.

You asked:

pardon my ignorance but what is it about these blue notes that make them so collectable/valuable?

How come I never see any at salvation army?

The answer:

Supply and demand! There were perhaps 1000 (maybe even less) of the original Blue Note 1549 pressed (deep-groove with the flat edge and the "New York 23" label). So how many are left? 300? less? How many come up for sale every year? Three? Two? How many Blue Note collectors are out there that HAVE TO HAVE this LP? A few hundred?

My copy is one of those odd example of MINT vinyl with a pretty jacked up cover. Even so, it would sell for $500 or more on ebay. I bought it from a pal in New York a few years ago for about half of that.

There are stories of folks finding records like this at the Goodwill--just ask Fini!!

Funny you should mention fini, thrift stores, and Blue Note, as I just picked this one up last week for two bucks. I don't know much about identifying pressings, but I'd bet this is a reissue. I'll have to get my buddy C&S to take a peek. I'm not a huge Herbie Hancock fan (Headhunter in SACD was a major disappointment for me), but this earlier stuff is better. At least it's in great shape, still with the shrink wrap intact.

mv1.jpg

mv2.jpg

fini

----------------

On 10/21/2003 12:41:58 AM Allan Songer wrote:

Why on earth would anyone want any part of THAT nonsense?

All fine and dandy for archival purposes I suppose, but to rely on this sort of thing for enjoyment? POPPYCOCK!

----------------

LOL!

Allan,

Do you own a cd player?

I actually own FOUR CD players! I have a system in my garage that includes an ANCIENT Kyocera player. The system in my breakfast room has one of the original AH! Tjoeb players from 1998. In my wife's office is a Rega Planet and in the main system is a Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5. I only have TWO turntables!!!

I actually own several hundred CDs . . .