Speaker Placement:Man vs. Woman

Raptor22

I realize that without photos and dimensions this is fruitless and everyone has personal tastes but....due to very difficult room layout and ongoing lively discussion with the house boss wife, I will ask this anyway. Speaker system is Chorus II fronts placed 10 feet apart and 9' diagonal to couch, (M&K center and SW), with Quartets 18' behind & 6' above listening couch. I just received my new RS-7s for the sides today and need to place them. My choices are 4-6' behind couch and 6-7' from floor OR 2-3' to the side and mounted facing down on a walkway which is 9' above floor. The walkway is directly over couch. Which would you chose, behind or above listening area. I use my system for 5.1 movies and DTS music when in surround mode (just the Chorus II's for stereo music) but plan on trying the 6.1 and 7.1 matrix since the Quartets are already hung above the large picture window in the rear. Both placements will be P.I.A. but need to start pulling wire this weekend.

Will try for photos this weekend as I am running behind. Work calls.....Would love to try both places as suggested but the overhead mount will be an endeavor. I can't count on the speaker's exsisting keyholes for mounting in that position and Klipsch says thats a no-no. I must mount to 1x12 with screws/bolts thru back board and then attach 1x12 to catwalk. I am having bad enough time finding place for these RS-7 on the side much less the Quartets as suggested. Thanskl for the input. I'll check back with this thread time permitting and then when photos are available, see if it's still active or start a new one so that it doesn't slip away. I sure would like to get a minute free to at lease hook them up and listen for a while, will do as soon as the wife can get the 2 year old after for a while...busy hands and feet.

When it's a question of hobbiest vs. his wife there are two absolutes to consider:

1. The hobbiest is bassing his placement on sound, wife bassing placement on visual appeal (translation: hiding the things).

2. The wife's "recomendation" is always accompanied by consequences if ignored, wether stated or not.

So with that in mind what's really important is the make and comfort level of your couch. Then compare the sound quality gained against the amount of sleep lost.

Speaker Placement: Man vs. Woman

How men view Stereo / HT systems and themselves...

Man: ME want um big speakers for big sound!! If I had just the next size bigger, I would be King of the jungle!!

Woman: If you had/ were just one size smaller you would be the Queen of the jungle!

Wow, I think I squeezed that in ok...humor wise and it is ok.

I think we will forever have this fight perhaps with this hobby. In the case of Klipsch yes in the Heritage line and new Ref series... bigger is better.

Congrats on the new RF-7 surrounds.. I would second the

4-6' behind couch and 6-7' from floor. They have the new wide dispersion technology, and will fill the backs very nicely.