Did you know Sony still does vinyl?

maxg

----------------

On 10/22/2003 4:01:41 AM maxg wrote:

Came as a shock to me - will be interesting to see whether more of their titles come out of vinyl or SACD over the coming years...
----------------

Max,

I received an email yesterday from Classic Records stating that the remainder of the Bob Dylan catalog that Classic has not already reissued on vinyl (they had been planning to do so) was now on hold with Sony. The reason given was (sorry, this is paraphrasing, as I trashed the email) Sony was rethinking their vinyl options in a "fast growing" segment of the marketplace. I took it to mean that either Sony was going to do the vinyl reissues themselves, or maybe negotiate with others. Typical mega-corporate behavior. Watch someone much smaller develope a new or revitalized market, then step in and dominate.

Chris

Hello:

For what it's worth, Rhino and

Sun Dazed are two (2) that are doing the 180 gram vinyl.

Sony is probably comaparing the sales of the TTs, which they haven't advertised much against their record sales, which they haven't advertised much. This way if there are not enough sales of either their marketing department can say they tried and it was a failure. :)

Sony may not have the best selection of vinyl right not but if you see something you do like: BUY IT! Their pricing is competitive and they have a free shipping offer this month. I recently bought a couple of Pearl Jam LP's and the Audioslave LP from the Sony Music Store. They're even giving a free Audioslave poster with the purchase, something I can roll up and put in the closet with my other posters. Their current prices are lower than any of the other on-line sellers like Elusive Disc, Red Trumpet, or Music Direct (on those particular titles). If enough people actually buy the vinyl format Sony (and others) just might increase their offerings but if no one buys anything the bean counters will eventually phase it out. Also, support your local stores that do carry vinyl and pester the crap out of the ones that don't. Voting on political issues is free to citizens but if you want the corporations to listen to you it involves letting the moths out of the wallet once in a while. Besides, you need more LP's - getting your butt out of the chair every 15 minutes or so to flip sides is good for the cardiovascular system. 1.gif

• 10 months later...

Hi,

One should not forget that SONY bought CBS records (hence their rights on B. Dylan vinyl releases...), a long time ago. If they ever decide to reenter themselves the vinyl market in a big way, they surely can! FYI, some days ago, SONY also acquired MGM studios. But this, of course, is another story...

• Like 1