Good Component Cable

Flason

I did a search on the forum, but I couldn't find a source for good quality-relatively inexpensive cables. I know I saw a site here a while back and I thought I saved it in my favorites, but I didn't. Can someone lend me a hand and give me a link to find good quality component video cables that won't bust my wallet. I'm not really looking for those esoteric $2K jobs as I live on planet earth and have kids to feed. Thanks.

I keep rememering the discussion from Best Buy employees on this BB of how much you get overcharged for Monster Cable. I have no problem with a company making a profit. I do have a problem being raked over the coal's though. It reminds me of how the price of plywood would skyrocket when there was a threat of an approaching hurricane. I want to pay a resonable price for good quality goods and not a premium price for mediocre goods. Thanks for all the good links.

When I finally get some more expendable income (if there is such a thing) I plan on going the DIY route: buying some quality tools and the rest of the connectors, cables, etc. in bulk. I like the flexibility of being able to make the lengths I need and not having to pay for extra I don't need.

Besides, whenever I look at the cables these places sell it reminds me of the hospital-grade power cables my company sells as add-ons to our cryogenic freezers. On occasion I've thrown a few of these together in a matter of seconds, and my company charges consumers like at least 5 times what it costs them in parts. I know this doesn't apply exactly to the scenario at hand, but it's just the feeling it gives me. $0.02. Description of SignalCable "MagicPower Power AC Cord" : "This reference quality Power Cord is based on a 10 AWG three conductor twisted design matched with ultra high quality Marinco Hospital Grade Plugs and IECs. An immediate improvement in bass extension and details, as well as a wider and deeper soundstage." 12.gif

I just finished some DIY audio cables. These things turned out great and the cost of the tools and parts is still below what I would have paid for Monster or other name brands. I found most of my information at here and here. I ordered Canare parts but found cheaper tools that worked just as well.

The nice thing about DIY cables is that you can cut them to the exact lenght you need. So far, I have made a subwoofer cable, three audio cables and changed the connectors on my component cables to BNC for my HALO gear. I will finish my project when they deliver the rest of the stuff I ordered. I plan on making some Canare 4S11 speaker cables and more audio cables.

Once you get the hang of it, it takes about 3 minutes to finish a very nice cable.