Basic tube amp maintance.

arfz28

I would like to start topic on some basic tube amp maintanance that us tube lovers could do to keep our tube amps up and running smoothly. This would maybe also help Craig and Ryan or anyone else that works one tube amps from getting calls for some tube amp problems that could have been prevented from some basic maintance, or worse yet that could cause damage to your amp that could be costly.

First thing would be to keep those tube sockets clean, take a little modle paint brush dip it into some caig progold and work it into those tube sockets its a pain but they will come clean. Next take some 400 grit sandpaper and clean those tube pins, after sanding wipe of with rag and then add progold to the tube pins with the brush and place the tubes back into place.This will make sure that your tube will have a good conection. I think doing this about every 6 months should do a fine job,I myself had to call Craig up,

my scott 299a tube amp,one of the output tubes started glowing real red, I shut down the amp real fast and called Craig he

said it was a bad conection and clean it, low and behold he was right on.Always when I start up my amp I always watch the tubes and that probably saved my amp, this is a good practice to get into,watch that amp for about 2 minutes when you start it up make sure all tubes are glowing normally.

Keep that tube amp biased, it is so easy to do,bias at least every 2 months. LET the amp warm up a couple of hours before checking to get a good reading.If you replace those output tubes with new ones bias right away they will need it and recheck often the next few weeks.

Next clean all conections on the back of amp, steal wool works good but vacuum out after cleaning. Q tips work good to clean the insides of the phono section and tape monitor conections. Use progold on the q tips and clean them up .

This is a few of the basic things I can think of,if anybody can add to this please do so because I am a tube newbe myself and learning more everyday.

Okay guys do I have him trained or what !! You covered it pretty darn good !

I will add that every 6 months or so all the controls should get a shot of Deoxit or even pro gold. Those controls are worth protecting because replacing is expensive and a pain in the A$$ !!

Craig

An engineer I met told me to do this every year because the air out here on the left coast contains a lot of corrosive material, but six month intervals would probably be better. I'm glad you mentioned sanding the tube pins themselves as I have seen some that look like they could use it. It's best to clean both connecting metals than to do just one and not the other. I have been too busy lately to devote time to my amp, but after I'm done with my present projects, my Scottie and her tubes will get some attention.