Need help with buying decision

BobbyT

I'm in the research and auditioning stage of putting together a new system for hi rez multi channel audio and movies. This system will also be used for 2 ch as well. I have a budget of 12 to 13 thousand for 5 speakers, pre/pro, and amp. For about the same amount I have 2 options I like that I'm thinking over. I'd like to know what you guys think.

option 1- B&K ref 50 with B&k 200.7 amp and 5 RF7s

option 2- Krell showcase pre/pro and amp with 5 RF5s

I like option 1 myself, I don't think that you would gain by leaps and bounds going with the Krell especially since you are downgrading the speakers to the RF5's to do so.

Another option is to buy the 5 brand new La Scala's from a board member here that has them sitting in storage and go with the B&K setup. The 5 La Scala's would take you to a whole new level of accuracy and detail. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision.

I have to agree. With that budget, if you have the room, go heritage all the way. The lascalas would be great and they're new and available for a discount. They'll blow away the 7s (IMO). You will need extra sub power if you use lascalas but the detail you'll get will be unreal!

Look into possibly using dual SVS subs. They seem to be the #1 choice around here and mate very well with klipsch (and probably anything else).

I personally like cornwalls but it'll be near impossible to find 5 that match.

i absolutely love my ref 50. extremely customizable (is that a word?). takes some time and effort to get the sound you want, but truly the best purchase i have ever made in hifi. i would love to have the 200.7, but i don't have the resources to do so. krell is extremely appealing, but as you have heard you will be able to splurge on the speakers by going b&k. either way you won't be dissappointed.

Guest Anonymous

Bobby i would seriously consider the B & k 507 avr, i looked all the b&k equipment and when listening i felt that the 507 had the best overall sound and functionality...i also would highly advise to think about an all heritage system, especially if you want more than just ht.

if you live in the chicago area you can definatly come by before dropping the bucks to see what you may like more...i auditioned the 7 series and the vintage heritage line is, so much better to me. but that is only my opinion. Do yourself a favor, check it out it dont cost more

and to me you get much much more9.gif10.gif

partaymon is the board member who posted in the General Section. He has 5 new (still in the crate LaScalas) ............he lives in Terre Haute, IN! Here is his post from General Section!

" Folks, it's a sad day for me. My LaScalas have to go... and I never even unpacked them from their shipping crates! In climate-controled storage for the past 10 months have been 5 Black Lacquer LaScalas. These were originally intended for a custom HT system, but it never came to pass. Now they have to go.

I wanted to list them here, before putting them on EBAY. (At least here, everyone knows what they are, what they're capable of, and has an idea of what they're worth.) New MSRP is $2,000 per speaker, and as I said, I've never opened the crates. While they are technically not new, they are certainly as mint as you could possibly hope for! I'm hoping for $7,000 for the set of 5, but I'll consider a reasonable offer of less.

I would like to sell them as a set, but I will consider splitting them up, if necessary. They are located in Terre Haute, IN. If you are located reasonably close, I might consider delivering them. (It would take me at least two trips, unless I rent a van or box truck.)

The Holidays are coming up; if you've ever wanted an awesome Heritage HT setup at a great price, here's your chance! You folks get first crack at 'em-- if there isn't any interest here, they'll have to go on EBAY by the weekend. Send me a Private Message if interested."

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm currently in the process of selling my house to buy a bigger one. Space for Heritage speakers should not be a problem but I won't know for sure until I'm in the next house. This is part of the reason I am researching now. I was planning on a SVS PB-2 plus or something diy(Tumult+big amp) for sub duty. This system will be mainly for music but I figured I might as well enjoy some movies on it also. Again thanks for the replies, this helps steer me in the right direction.

"i would love to have the 200.7, but i don't have the resources to do so"

burtlively, While I have a good job working full time for U.P.S., I also have a nice annuity which I'm putting most of in my new house and some with my saved money for a new system for the new house. If not for that I wouldn't be looking throw around so much money for equipment as I have a 6 month old to throw most of my money at2.gif . I consider myself lucky to be able to buy this level of equipment.