In ceiling RCR-3 Pros or Cons

Groovie

I am currenty setting up my first HT system and need to purchase speakers. I think I may have talked the wife into RF 15's for the mains and RC=25 for the center, with an rw-10 sub. The room is approx, 23'x 17', The TV is centered on one of the 23' walls. The rf-15' will be beside the TV approx 6' apart. My wife does't really want to see any speakers anywhere! Her idea of home theater is Bose acoustimass out of sight out of sound, I am open for suggestion and wondered what you all think about in ceiling RCR-3's for the surrounds and rear center channel? My other options have been the rsx-5's and I am also contemplating the Cinema 10 with rsx-5's all the way around. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to HT. Would in-ceiling speakers be a mistake, I realize the limitations they place on moving them around the room!

----------------

On 11/2/2003 8:43:06 PM Groovie wrote:

My wife does't really want to see any speakers anywhere! Her idea of home theater is Bose acoustimass out of sight out of sound, I am open for suggestion and wondered what you all think about in ceiling RCR-3's for the surrounds and rear center channel? My other options have been the rsx-5's and I am also contemplating the Cinema 10 with rsx-5's all the way around. Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to HT. Would in-ceiling speakers be a mistake, I realize the limitations they place on moving them around the room!

----------------

I've always been somewhat skeptical of the in-ceiling speakers. It seems that once somebody mentiones "in-ceiling" speakers, I am immediatly reminded of the cheesy speakers playing cheesy super-market "muzak" at the local Food Lion store. However, that is not always a fair comparison, since from what I heard, those RCR speakers seem to be actually quite good sounding - way better than your typical super-market sound-system speaker. The big issue is proper installation. It is often highly recommended to get a professional to install these - especially once they are installed - that is it! A trained custom HT installer should be able to get these not only installed, but installed in the correct places to get the best sound for your room.

You mentioned the Cinema 10 (4 RSX-5s, 1 RCX-4, and 1 RS-10 sub) package. If you must comply with a WAF situation, I would highly recommend looking into this. Yeah, these speakers will be a bit larger than the Bose cubes, but they sound way-way-way better. Also, given the size of your room, I think these speakers will blend nicely into the environnment, and you can get them in either of two colors that should nicely match (black, or silver). These are also pretty stylish speakers - not just a plain old black box as the RF-15s would be. Also, these will give you more freedom for placement vs the RCRs, and you should also not have to cut into walls/ceilings with the risk of making an expensive mistake to install these.

What exactly is a WAF, I am guessing its something to do with the wife, anyhow, my main concern on the Cinema 10 is that the RSX-5's as mains don't reach low enough into the frequency range, particularly for music.

Has anyone heard the RCR-3 or does anyone have them installed in their home?

----------------

On 11/3/2003 9:12:43 AM Groovie wrote:

What exactly is a WAF, I am guessing its something to do with the wife, anyhow, my main concern on the Cinema 10 is that the RSX-5's as mains don't reach low enough into the frequency range, particularly for music.

----------------

As "tank" pointed out - WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor. This statement, cribbed from your original posting:

"My wife does't really want to see any speakers anywhere! Her idea of home theater is Bose acoustimass out of sight out of sound"

Is a classic example of a wife that does not want anything with a low WAF. That is one reason why Bose is so popular - it has a very high Wife Acceptance Factor. I sometimes here stories like "I'd rather have the big (name favorite brand) towers, but the wife won't let me so we had to get Bose instead since that is all she would allow - I guess it's better than no surround-sound".

It is because of that statement you made in your original posting is why I would suggest looking into the Cinema 10 package. The speakers should have a pretty good WAF and they sound much better than the Bose.

As for the bass output, there is no satellite that can put out decent bass. Even the bookshelf speakers can be lacking in bass. That is why a subwoofer is a must. It seems that once setup properly, the whole bass output issue should be moot. You just may have to set the cross-over point in the reciever at 100hz instead of the typical 80hz. The RW-10 should have no problem picking up where the RSX-5's leave off.

That's great information, I appreciate the sensitivity for the wife. The ceiling speakers have the best shot for my waf factor. My concern is the sound compared to the Cinema 10 system. If I go with the ceiling speakers for surround and rear channel, I can put rf-15's with an rc-25 up front, my conflict is which would sound best Cinema 10 or Rf-15's with ceiling speakers?

Well as far as the RCR's go, I had a pair of RCR-5's, and I never installed them but heard them at the store, and they blew me away, hence the reason I bought them. They sound better than the bookshelf speakers in my mind, so I would HIGHLY recommend getting them for your use. They are clean looking and pack a mighty punch. Never underestimate anything Klipsch puts out 9.gif They have full range sound and a 360' pivoting tweeter, great for placement.

Since I bought the RCR-5's from Orange, I can tell you they sound great. The speakers blend right into the ceiling despite the difference in color due to their low profile and round shape. Regarding the bass--no it does not sound or feel like the bass from the RW12 I just picked up--but it can rattle the windows--not bad for a ceiling speaker. Sound very much like the RB25s. Install was easy approx 15 minutes for each including drywall cutting. WAF is good--she wants another pair for the bedroom!

Alright!!! I was wondering how they worked out for you. I am glad to hear they sound good, I told you they rock, man I will own another pair of those someday 11.gif I can see that you didn't take the SVS plunge, shame on you 3.gif An RW-12 is no slouch though, you will have to hear my triple 20-39's some time 9.gif

I have the full "RC" setup (RCW-5-Front, RCR-5-Rear) and enjoy it. I know that in-walls don't compare to floorstanding (or even bookshelf) but due to the same WAF issues, I am happy with what I got. At least I still got my Klipsch refernce all around.

I think they work much better for fill-in and surround than for the fronts. I find rainstorms or rainy scenes especially good.

The install was easy without the kit. They have "dogs" that turn out and trap the drywall between the dog and the speaker frame. I didn't build any boxes so the fronts baffle against the wall behind (about 12") while the ceilings have the whole attic space (perhaps that is why they sound better?)

For your setup, I don't think you'd be disapointed.

Now If I could talk the wife into new fronts, what would match well? Are RF-7s too much?

David

Hello,

I have the RCR-3 as left & right rears and a single RCR-5 as a rear center. Mains are RB-5, with RC-3 center and SVS 22-31 sub.

These are all spread about in a large family room that opens into a kitchen and other living areas. Seems like not much speaker for so large an area (10 foot ceilings too). All output channels are balanced with the analog RS sound meter.

I have to tell you that the sound produced is pure, seamless and all enveloping for DVD/DVD-Audio formats and MNF HD broadcasts through my Yamaha RX-V1200. I would install the Klipsch RCR ceiling speakers again without a doubt.