RC-35 Please Help!!!!

twiztidsals

On Friday I received my RC-35 Center Channel and KW-12 Subwoofer. I am completely satisfied with the KW-12, I'd reccommend that in a hearbeat, but I can't say i'm too pleased with the RC-35. I was expecting more of a "bright" sound from the center, and at a little over half volume, i hear a crackling. Is this "hollow" sound characteristic of Klipsch? I thought the horn was supposed to be sometimes too bright sounding - I'm running an 80W/channel Denon receiver, my front speakers are cheap yamahas, and they can hold to full volume. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated - i'm wondering if i have a defective unit! Thanks in advance!!!

This doesn't sound (ahem) right.

Please try to do some control groups.

Hook up your new center speaker to an output you know is working correctly. Probably a side channel output. See if it makes the same sort of odd noises.

Also, you might take one of your known good speakers, probably the one of them connected to the side channel, and move it to the center channel feed which is, perhaps, sending a bad signal.

By the above, you can gain some solid information on what is wrong.

Gil

Hey everyone i really appreciate your thoughts!! Taking your advisement, i checked my connections (again) and they all look okay, i have them set to "large" on my receiver. As a quick test, I plugged the center into the R main channel and it did not improve the sound nor did it help the crackling. I'm waiting for Klipsch to get back to me but it sounds like there's most likely something wrong with it. I expected a crisp sound and it sounds like a cheap 2 way car speaker. Thanks again, i'll contact the place i ordered it from.

Does sound like you received a bad one. Stuff happens. I have never experienced anything similar with my center and overall, am pleased with my RC-35.

Downstairs

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD (incredible!) 9.gif

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help everyone! Once i got done with my classes, i decided to take her apart and look at it before i shipped it to AZ. Well, i'm glad i did. One of the wires going to the horn was mangled at the pin connector, i cut the wire back, crimped a new one on and voila! Works perfectly. Now i'm completely satisfied with her! What an awesome sound! Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

----------------

On 11/4/2003 7:47:23 PM twiztidsals wrote:

Is this hollow sound characteristic of Klipsch?

----------------

In my experience, it IS a characteristic of the Klipsch center channels to sound hollow. I've run synergy and reference centers and have found the same conclusion with both (I currently run RC-25's). Took them apart, took them back to the dealer and tested them against others, tested them with other channels/signal/amps on the same receiver...everything. I've gone through several just to find out that this is the way the manufacturer intended them to sound. It is bright on the mid/vocal ranges however lacks a bit of overall equality through the full spectrum IMHO. I've come across several threads throughout the internet that have come to the same conclusion.

However, if it sounds VERY unnatural then you may very well have a defect on your hands. 6.gif

Chris

p.s. Oh, forgot to mention...run your receiver's test tones and you'll see what I mean.